Split tyres

kimamey

My step daughter has a Scoopy I and I've noticed there are splits in the tyres both front and rear. I'm not a bike rider but I think I might know the reason so I thought I'd ask on here. 

The front tyre is fairly worn whilst the the rear one isn't too bad.  I've checked the pressures whilst child and in the shade and the front is 56 psi and the rear 63 psi. I'm not sure how accurate that last one is as my gauge only goes up to 64 psi. I don't know what the pressures should be but I wouldn't have thought they were that high but I know Thais tend to overindulged so they don't have to do it so often. I would have thought also this would have a detrimental effect on the wear and grip. 

Would those splits be expected with high pressures? 

20181007_104530.jpg

20181007_104552.jpg

Well, those tires are shot.  Dangerous and seriously over inflated.  Almost exactly double the recommended pressure!  Get new tires NOW!

This came from an older manual:

image.png.aa10a4ea4bc95020a933ac86241aa999.png

This Michelin site recommends 26 PSI front, 29 PSI rear for a 2016 SH 125i, possibly for their City Grip tires:

https://moto.michelin.co.uk/GB/en/tyres/HONDA/SH 125 i ABS/2016.html

I'd probably go 26 front, 30 rear.  Maybe 31-32 rear if I had a passenger.

Dude, what the hell !!

Your front tire is, duh doh .... just throw it away right now, how ... what !? I'm speechless.

That's insane, could blow up anytime, i had a rear tire blowed up on a honda dream in phanghan, i thought that was it, the bike went straight toward a "ravine", managed to stop 30cm before, and i was lucky it was only the rear tire, front one ? gosh i can't even imagine.

How old are these tires !? 45 years !? really.

20 minutes ago, Pepper9187 said:

Dude, what the hell !!

Your front tire is, duh doh .... just throw it away right now, how ... what !? I'm speechless.

That's insane, could blow up anytime, i had a rear tire blowed up on a honda dream in phanghan, i thought that was it, the bike went straight toward a "ravine", managed to stop 30cm before, and i was lucky it was only the rear tire, front one ? gosh i can't even imagine.

20 minutes ago, Pepper9187 said:

Dude, what the hell !!

Slightly over 5 years  or so it says

remember a date with  girl a few years ago, i walked her back to her car and just happened to look at her tyres, they were bald and cracking and could go at any time, obviously very dangerous.. i told her so and she said 'oh yea, my sisters husband told me that too...'. so why dont you get new ones? i asked, you really think i need to? was the reply. up to you, i said but i'm not getting into your car until you do. thankfully she did. but crikey, she had no idea...

One is obviously degraded with age.   Even if there is good tread, the tires age in the weather.    I have a pickup I just replaced the tires on,   It doesn't get used much.    Tires only last 5 years at most, plenty of tread left, but then they start to crack and bubble...then worse stuff happens.   Tires are cheap compared to the other things that can happen.

Get them changed immediately. Like yesterday.

Cause of cracks is down to -

uv rays ie sunshine,

old age,

possible poor quality original manufacture.

In all my time of working on motorcycles, i don't think i've ever seen such bad wear on the treads. sidewall cracking is commonplace, but those treads - jeez!

2 hours ago, Damrongsak said:

Well, those tires are shot.  Dangerous and seriously over inflated.  Almost exactly double the recommended pressure!  Get new tires NOW!

This came from an older manual:

image.png.aa10a4ea4bc95020a933ac86241aa999.png

This Michelin site recommends 26 PSI front, 29 PSI rear for a 2016 SH 125i, possibly for their City Grip tires:

https://moto.michelin.co.uk/GB/en/tyres/HONDA/SH 125 i ABS/2016.html

I'd probably go 26 front, 30 rear.  Maybe 31-32 rear if I had a passenger.

That's about what I was thinking

Thanks guys. This is all pretty much what I knew already but I just thought instead of being a know it all I'd  ask to see if iI'm right and it appears I am? I didn't know about the date stamp so I can see the front one is about 5 years old I'll check the rear tomorrow. I've already said the front is bald but they both need changing due to the cracks which I'm not surprised about at those pressures. Fortunately my step daughter isn't heavy but it could still kill her. 

I know the pressures are in the manual but it would involve reading to find them out and as far as I can see Thais don't do reading of manuals. 

Even the Honda dealership overinflate the tyres. I watch them once using an airline with no gauge. When you can tell the pressures are wrong just by riding on it then you know things are bad. 

4 minutes ago, ravip said:

image.png.88191394f8aadb2d7cf290e44cc27038.png

If this is the Date of Manufacture... 24th week of 2013 >>> 

Week 24 June 10, 2013 June 16, 2013

Yes it looks like it is. I haven't checked the front one yet. It'll need changing anyway.

To be fair it wasn't my step daughterthat pumped them up and I know Thais always do this. 

It must cause the tyre to wear faster in the middle due to the lack of surface contact not to mention lack of grip on sand and in the wet. 

7 minutes ago, kimamey said:

Thanks guys. This is all pretty much what I knew already but I just thought instead of being a know it all I'd  ask to see if iI'm right and it appears I am? I didn't know about the date stamp so I can see the front one is about 5 years old I'll check the rear tomorrow. I've already said the front is bald but they both need changing due to the cracks which I'm not surprised about at those pressures. Fortunately my step daughter isn't heavy but it could still kill her. 

I know the pressures are in the manual but it would involve reading to find them out and as far as I can see Thais don't do reading of manuals. 

Even the Honda dealership overinflate the tyres. I watch them once using an airline with no gauge. When you can tell the pressures are wrong just by riding on it then you know things are bad. 

Probably a combination of over inflation + where do you park the bike ? I guess outside directly under the sun ? They seems all dried out from age + UV.

On 10/7/2018 at 10:06 PM, kimamey said:

Here is a little bit of more useful information about tyres >>> https://www.kwik-fit.com/tyres/information/tyre-age

Edit

Refreshed my mind on the subject too! Thank you!

6 minutes ago, Pepper9187 said:

Probably a combination of over inflation + where do you park the bike ? I guess outside directly under the sun ? They seems all dried out from age + UV.

Actually at home it's  in the shade most of the time until the sun is low in the evening but of course that's not the case everywhere.  

I'll have to look into tire freshness dates.  I have some big tires on my Toyota pickup here in the U.S.   Good grip, not much mileage on them yet, but probably more than 15 years old.  Bridgestone tires from back in the day.  About 20,000+ Baht a set of four.  Meaty, big and bouncy.  Great in snow and icy slush.

13 hours ago, Pepper9187 said:

Dude, what the hell !!

The tire depicted [embossed 2413] was manufactured in June 2013.

I never got to check the rear tyre for age as my step daughter left early this morning but the tyres should be done today.  I don't think it was that old.  There was still tread on it but obviously the splits render it useless.

There is a problem when so many of the people who fit tyres in this country, even in main dealerships seem to ignore the recommended pressures by so much that it creates danger. 

4 hours ago, kimamey said:

I never got to check the rear tyre for age as my step daughter left early this morning but the tyres should be done today.  I don't think it was that old.  There was still tread on it but obviously the splits render it useless.

There is a problem when so many of the people who fit tyres in this country, even in main dealerships seem to ignore the recommended pressures by so much that it creates danger. 

Don't really need to check the year, they're dead, both, no question !

Change it ASAP, any small things can get into these cracks and blow it right away = lost of control = if you're doing 60-70 and hit a pickup doing 80 = dead.

I got to check the year and it was mid 2014 so over 4 years but they've both been changed now anyway. I've checked the pressures and they've been inflated to 26 front and 30 rear using my gauge which is a whole lot better than before.

I found the pressures marked on a label on the steering column. I've seen it before but as I don't use it I've never taken much notice. 

On 10/8/2018 at 11:05 AM, Vacuum said:

How old is the step daughter?

The tyres were 5 years front and 4 years rear although that's the date of manufacture so I don't know how long since they've been fitted.   I assume front tyres wear more quickly and over inflation will affect the wear as well. 

My step daughter is 24 next month.  She wouldn't have pumped the tyres the last time as her uncle fixed a nail that was in the rear one.  It's just normal practice here as far as I know. Just one of those things like seat belts and helmets that you try persuade then to use.  To be fair to her she uses both, at least when I've seen her.  Not at the same time of course,  my driving isn't that bad. 

15392226436300.jpg

Archived