Tourist Police and Immigration step up checks on foreigners living in Bangkok

webfact

Tourist Police and Immigration step up checks on foreigners living in Bangkok

tp1.jpg

In the latest crackdown on foreigners who stay in Thailand illegally, Tourist Police and Immigration carried out a series of raids on condominiums in Bangkok this weekend.

On Sunday, at least 30 officers raided five buildings at Fortune Condo Town condominium on Soi Sathupradit 19 in Yannawa district.

Officers inspected 225 rooms, 94 of which were occupied by a total of 340 foreigners, most of whom were Indian nationals, the Tourist Police Bureau reported on its Facebook page.

Four foreigners were arrested following the raids, with two Syrians charged with overstaying their visas, while one British national and one Moroccan national were arrested for failing to do their 90 day report.

tp2.jpg

Seven Thai landlords were also apprehended for failing to inform Immigration they had been renting their condo to a foreigner.

Under Section 38 of the Immigration Act, property owners are required to notify immigration if they have a foreigner staying in their property.

Acting Tourist Bureau commissioner Pol Maj Gen Terapon Kuptanond also urged people to report suspicious activity or offences via the Tourist Police hotline on 1155.

The raids on Sunday morning came after the new head of Thai immigration - Maj-Gen Surachate "Big Joke" Hakpal - who was recently appointed to the role from his position of deputy commissioner at the Tourist Police - warned that foreigners nationwide are being placed under greater scrutiny by immigration officials.

Last week, Maj-Gen Surachate promised a crackdown on people working illegally in Thailand.

He also promised to go after visa agents who falsify documents which are used by foreigners to extend their visas.

Maj-Gen Surachate said that immigration will be going after all agents and their customers nationwide involved in procuring visa extensions with fake documents.

tp3.jpg

On Friday, Tourist Police and Immigration officers arrested hundreds of foreigners for various visa offences following raids at 337 locations nationwide.

A total of 369 foreigners were arrested after raids at language schools, hotels and restaurants.

Earlier this year, Maj-Gen Surachate said that private language schools which offer ED-visas would become the target of a crackdown.

Maj-Gen Surachate had said the ED visa was being abused by foreigners who use it as a way to stay in Thailand long term, without actually studying.

Maj-Gen Surachate also hit the headlines last week after promising to end to the culture of tips, back-handers and money under the table at the Immigration Bureau in Thailand.

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-10-08

I would be interested to know under what legislation they did this? The cops can't just walk into your house or condo without some form of warrant or court order. The natural progression for this of course, will to be every house in the country raided at some point.

While I agree overstayers are breaking the law, there is an awful lot of crime going on out there. It seems the cops are disproportionately interested in foreigners and petty offences, rather than the serious stuff, which would make the country a better and safer place.

40 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

Does it seem a bit threatening,6 officers come knocking on 

your door,why do the need so many.

regards worgeordie

But behind that door

after all

might be

a

serial non-reporter!

Saints preserve us all

All this sabre rattling and overkill

is only a hop, skip and a jump

away from plastic bags and Pol Pot river trips

Still. when all the genuflecting 'I do no wrongsters' pipe up (as they always do) for some sanctimonious hand-wringing...we can all reflect on the words of Niemöller.

25 minutes ago, Regyai said:

Still. when all the genuflecting 'I do no wrongsters' pipe up (as they always do) for some sanctimonious hand-wringing...we can all reflect on the words of Niemöller.

He's hiding in the Hitler theme room. 

1 hour ago, worgeordie said:

regards worgeordie

One day 10 thai persons came to my door (in our moobaan)...they were from some political party and came to talk to us residents....When they saw the farang they all stood in line in front of our gate staring at me but none of them dared to speak.

Thai love to convince a person by 10 to 1.

What exactly is the point of all this? Do foreigners commit many more crimes than Thais? I have lived in several countries and nowhere has there ever been this much focus on foreigners and visa overstays. If we are a problem to the authorities here, we are a fairly minor one, but this is bordering on harassment.

And what is with changing the visa regulations every five minutes? Every day an new pronouncement which always means more inconvenience for people living here. Again having lived in several countries I have never seen the like of this changing of regulations. What is the point....what is the pint of 90 day reports. None, zero, nada, zilch, niente...the paper if just filed, never looked at and presumably just thrown away. What exactly is the point of showing my wife's house book every time I extend my visa...I have been living in the same house with the same woman for 10 years since I retired....now they want to come an see my home.....not one but three officers. The asked my wife for money for petrol, she told them "no, we didn't request the visit."

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Syrians charged with overstaying their visas

Hmmm..... The should have tried to claim refugee status

3 hours ago, webfact said:

warned that foreigners nationwide are being placed under greater scrutiny by immigration officials.

How blunt and unwelcoming. 

1 hour ago, Pedrogaz said:

What exactly is the point of all this? Do foreigners commit many more crimes than Thais? I have lived in several countries and nowhere has there ever been this much focus on foreigners and visa overstays. If we are a problem to the authorities here, we are a fairly minor one, but this is bordering on harassment.

And what is with changing the visa regulations every five minutes? Every day an new pronouncement which always means more inconvenience for people living here. Again having lived in several countries I have never seen the like of this changing of regulations. What is the point....what is the pint of 90 day reports. None, zero, nada, zilch, niente...the paper if just filed, never looked at and presumably just thrown away. What exactly is the point of showing my wife's house book every time I extend my visa...I have been living in the same house with the same woman for 10 years since I retired....now they want to come an see my home.....not one but three officers. The asked my wife for money for petrol, she told them "no, we didn't request the visit."

The point is to cash up

Seems much easier to target illegals, working in low level jobs to survive and who won't fight back or attack the police....why after all run after the real foreign hard core drug dealers with no visa issues or other violent criminals,  who could assault officers ?

5 hours ago, darksidedog said:

I would be interested to know under what legislation they did this? The cops can't just walk into your house or condo without some form of warrant or court order. The natural progression for this of course, will to be every house in the country raided at some point.

While I agree overstayers are breaking the law, there is an awful lot of crime going on out there. It seems the cops are disproportionately interested in foreigners and petty offences, rather than the serious stuff, which would make the country a better and safer place.

Unfortunately darksidedog this is Thailand and this is the Thai Immigration Police which only handles immigration issues and even in Australia Immigration have a 24/7 warrant to enter any premises for the purpose of investigation of illegal immigrants or anyone breaching the immigration laws. As for the other criminal activity that is handled by a different department and has nothing to do with immigration and it is a pity that there is not a couple of other "Big Jokes" to handle the other criminal activities plus the traffic laws

4 hours ago, worgeordie said:

regards worgeordie

It's in the Thai genes, go after somebody?? Well you know the rest.

18 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

The foreign media is not normally sympathetic to illegal immigrants and visa overs

Most of the media belongs to people with a strong leftist worldview.
So I will not agree with you ...

Tourists should know that in this country a foreigner is called a criminal for whatever reason.

2 hours ago, Pedrogaz said:

"no, we didn't request the visit."   Well said wifey. Shower of chancers.

...wonder what the figures are on foreigners that married a Thai woman ....were cleaned out....and were left destitute....

....and their children....that are now the possessions of these same women....

...no provisions for these victims.......???

Archived