Passport Data Requested at Post Office before Posting Birthday Card

7 hours ago, Scottjouro said:

Thai nationals show their ID, they ask for your passport as thats your ID, they will even accept a Thai DL, even for domestic

Its ok no conspiracy, they are not recording farang movements and writiing it in their little black books

I did not say that there was a conspiracy, try addressing that to the OP who may be thinking that!  I just confirmed what is asked for. 

A Thai licence may be acceptable at whichever PO you use but at Nana, Bangkok, it is not.  An original passport is required for certain items or services.

3 hours ago, melvinmelvin said:

domestic ordinary mail requires passport

that some post offices skip this does not mean it is not required(legally)

Not at Nana, it doesn't.  That does mean that domestic mail does not require a passport at Nana Post Office.

38 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

Why not just put a stamp on the enveloppe and put in a postbox ? is that asking to much in Thailand ?..or am I missing something here ?

First - try finding a post box in a rural area - usually outside the PO. 

Second - where I live my letter/package has to be weighed on the scales alongside the counter and an adhesive stamp is printed off a computer. 

5 minutes ago, Burma Bill said:

First - try finding a post box in a rural area - usually outside the PO. 

Second - where I live my letter/package has to be weighed on the scales alongside the counter and an adhesive stamp is printed off a computer. 

I remember some years ago reading of someone who wanted to buy some stamps at the main PO in Bangkok and the man refused to sell them as he didn't have many left. Along similar lines to what happened to me personally once, when I want to a shop to buy the Bangkok Post and they only had yesterdays on display. I asked if he had today's and he said he did but he wasn't selling it as he hadn't sold out of yesterdays yet. This is not a normal country.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Formaleins said:

Wasn't this going to be normal practice that was talked about a few years ago, around the time of the troubles in Bangkok with the Reds and Yellows? It was at the same time as the additional info was required to by a phone SIM.

The post office thing just did not seem to take off at the time, I remember I used to carry my passport to our local office in case I was asked, but never was.

Jesus.  I never ran into that at all.  Every time I went I mailed simple cheap post cards, put some stamps on them and off they went snail mail to the USA.  Haven't done it in a few years now, but gosh, really expecting people to show ID to send mail?  Maybe because I sent just plain post cards, no envelope so there is no chance of anything being hidden?   I hate police states and big brother and if Thailand is really heading down this path it is sad

You dont have to show your passport , a Thai DL will do . But I have only been asked once , and that was in Chiang Mai a year ago .

Here in Pattaya nobody cares, never been asked and I do send a few packages to Europe every year. 

Edited by balo

On ‎10‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 4:35 PM, elviajero said:

Your passport is your ID, a Thai would also be required to show ID. There’s no conspiracy against foreigners!

Still, strange idea to show ID just to send a card! Never heard of something like this in any other country, and I've been to quite a few, and lived in six.

Had a 'funny' experience in China though, when I wanted to apply for a phone SIM card, and the shop's employee tried feverishly to find my Chinese ID number on the computer, in order to register the SIM card. Couldn't use a foreign passport there, so I ended up purchasing a SIM card at the official phone company's shop.

this happened about 18 months ago in my local bkk post office i was asked a couple of times for my passport, i showed them my home driving licence (as i dont carry my passport around) and they copied down the number. since then the same post office hasn't asked for ID but there is a sign saying it's required. maybe they know who i am now! ???? or maybe they just cant be bothered.

On 10/9/2018 at 2:37 PM, Burma Bill said:

The we must be lucky. Not only my local PO but the main offices in Khon Kaen and Chumphae, also the branch offices in Nong Rua, Ban Fang, Central Plaza, Tesco Lotus and the airport (KKC) - all of which I use. NO PASSPORT for letters. PASSPORT for packages and parcels.

I sent a letter from Thailand to Germany. I must show my ID-card. (DL) ---a normal letter ----

It is already worse than in China. Big brother is watching you....everywhere. All these security measures don't make any sense. If somebody want to make a crime he will do anyway. And wait..it will become worse. They will control us everywhere. Cameras and face recognition and our phones (location + message history).