British Embassy Bangkok to Stop Certification of Income Letters

1 minute ago, mfd101 said:

I agree, but it seems [still to be clarified] that the Thais don't. That is, what seems like reasonable verification to you & me is not actually proof & therefore not sufficient - so it seems - for the Thais.

up until a short while ago it was, everyone played the game 'as if' and TI was satisfied, now someone has spat in the soup 

1 minute ago, soalbundy said:

up until a short while ago it was, everyone played the game 'as if' and TI was satisfied, now someone has spat in the soup 

You mean that someone has closed a very convenient loophole?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, giddyup said:

You mean that someone has closed a very convenient loophole?

what loophole ? I have an adequate income, the German embassy checks my original documents and the bank statement print outs from my German bank and gives me a letter in English certifying my income, straightforward reasonable proof. The Germans have said they have no plans to stop the letter, if in future the TI wont accept a letter then they should say so and say what they will accept as proof of income. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

an embassy letter of income

Not sure we're on the same page. If you have the 800K or the 65K a month you only need the bank letter. That's all I've supplied in 8 renewals. So why would I need an embassy letter of income?

54 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

what loophole ? I have an adequate income, the German embassy checks my original documents and the bank statement print outs from my German bank and gives me a letter in English certifying my income, straightforward reasonable proof. The Germans have said they have no plans to stop the letter, if in future the TI wont accept a letter then they should say so and say what they will accept as proof of income. 

Aren't we talking about the embassies that have discontinued the letter?

7 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Aren't we talking about the embassies that have discontinued the letter?

we are talking, guessing, speculating about the BE the TI, the future system and what other embassies are doing, or not doing, at the moment BE and US seem to have the spotlight on them.

35 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Not sure your on the same page.

The 800K funds deposit in a Thai bank requires a letter from the bank.

The 65K monthly income requires a letter from the Embassy.

Or are you stating that Immigration have been accepting your income paid into a Thai bank with a supporting letter from the bank.

Sorry, I stand corrected. I use the 800K method which only requires the bank letter.

• Thanks 2

Just now, gaviny said:

Giddyup could you tell me what the Bank letter actually has to state...that the monies had come from abroad ,as the date of deposit and latest update will be in the passbook.

Sent from my Redmi Note 6 Pro using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Well, it's in Thai so I'm only guessing, but I believe it just confirms that the 800k has been in the account for the 90 days, or 60 days for a first time renewal.

Well, it's in Thai so I'm only guessing, but I believe it just confirms that the 800k has been in the account for the 90 days, or 60 days for a first time renewal.
Think the letter will also say that Mr Joe Bloggs has been a customer at this bank branch since xx/yy/zzzz etc

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gaviny said:

Ok it just that I gotta use this method for the first time and I could be the first ever person to ask for a Bank letter from this branch and they might not know what to put in the letter.

I have funds deposit in a Fixed Term account.

The letter merely states;

Name.                                           Date of letter. xx xx xxxx

Type of account.     Acc. No.           Date of deposit.          Balance.

Fixed term.             xxxxxxxxx         xx xx xxxx                   xxxxxxxx

If you have a Savings account, constantly used for deposits/withdrawals, then I assume it will appear quite differently.

• Thanks 1

I have funds deposit in a Fixed Term account.
The letter merely states;
Name.                                           Date of letter. xx xx xxxx
Type of account.     Acc. No.           Date of deposit.          Balance.
Fixed term.             xxxxxxxxx         xx xx xxxx                   xxxxxxxx

If you have a Savings account, constantly used for deposits/withdrawals, then I assume it will appear quite differently.
Thanks yes mine is just a general account with a card , I think a Debit Card.I have monies transferred from Oz into it via OFX.

3 hours ago, OneeyedJohn said:

My last retirement visa in January this year shocked me.

I expected a big problem getting original documents in the Thai postal system to the British Embassy, paying the fee, either in Thai baht or pounds sterling from my bank in UK, and getting the letter back in time before the 7 days that my local immigration said it was valid for.

I was sh1tting myself.

But lo and behold the pro consul told me I could scan and email all documents to her. 19 A4 sheets of bank statements, pension letters etc etc.

I couldn't believe it.

They took the £52 quid from my account, gave me the letter, and I got my visa. I thought my visa difficulties were over for the rest of my life.

TIT - a very big one !

You sent 16 pages too many.....

I got mine with 2 P60's....

PS, you don't have a visa, you have an extension of stay.................. that fact will crop up again for you..

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, gaviny said:

Thanks yes mine is just a general account with a card , I think a Debit Card.I have monies transferred from Oz into it via OFX.

Then you have a Savings account. Typical interest rate 0.5%

The fixed term account has no debit card. Higher interest rates.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gaviny said:

Ok it just that I gotta use this method for the first time and I could be the first ever person to ask for a Bank letter from this branch and they might not know what to put in the letter.

My bank letter from Krungsri and before that Bangkok Bank only really had four meaningful pieces of information:  my name, my account number, the balance in my account, the current date.  In other words, the bank letter provides evidence that the account belongs to me (and only to me, not a joint account), and that on the date it was written my account had such and such a balance (greater than 800,000 baht).  It doesn't prove that the money has been in the account for the required seasoning period.  The cost of this letter is 100 baht, if my memory can be trusted.  The letter is in Thai.  I believe all immigration offices required this bank letter.

To prove the balance was seasoned properly I also have to obtain a 3-month bank statement issued by the bank and stamped with their stamp.  The cost of this is also 100 baht, I believe.  Looking at this statement one can confirm that the balance in the account never dropped below 800,000 baht during the 3-month period before my application for retirement extension.  This certified bank statement is required by most, but maybe not all, immigration offices (mine is in Phuket).  Actually, I think I ask for a 4-month statement just to be sure to cover completely the 3-month seasoning period.  It's the same cost for 3 or 4 months.

At the immigration office I have my bank passbook with me.  The immigration officer checks that, I guess as confirmation that the balances in the passbook match with the certified bank statement.  Sometimes the immigration officer wants me to make copies of the passbook and sign them, which I guess is more confirmation that the balance has never dropped below 800,000 baht during the seasoning period.

I tend to top up the account used for the retirement extension with one relatively large transfer from my home country just before the seasoning period.  There are roughly monthly ATM withdrawals that I live on outside of the 3-month seasoning period.  (I also bring another bank account that shows more frequent weekly withdrawals and if necessary I could show how the money flows from one account to the other account and exactly how I pay for my living expenses.  However, that has never been necessary.)

Phuket Immigration does not require that the bank letter and statement be made on the day of application and I have always used ones dated the day before my visit to immigration, and that has always been acceptable in Phuket.  I have also never been asked to show a balance on the day of the actual application, but if asked I could go to an ATM and get a printed receipt showing the current balance.  My understanding is that some other immigration offices require both of these additional things (documents dated the same day as the application, and something indicating the current balance) but up to this point Phuket has not.

At my Krungsri branch which is rather small, I have to make the request for my letter and bank statement one day in advance.  In other words, I have to wait for the letters and statements to be signed so that I can pick them up at the start of business the following day.  I go straight to immigration to do my retirement extension after picking up these documents.

• Like 2

My bank letter from Krungsri and before that Bangkok Bank only really had four meaningful pieces of information:  my name, my account number, the balance in my account, the current date.  In other words, the bank letter provides evidence that the account belongs to me (and only to me, not a joint account), and that on the date it was written my account had such and such a balance (greater than 800,000 baht).  It doesn't prove that the money has been in the account for the required seasoning period.  The cost of this letter is 100 baht, if my memory can be trusted.  The letter is in Thai.  I believe all immigration offices required this bank letter.

To prove the balance was seasoned properly I also have to obtain a 3-month bank statement issued by the bank and stamped with their stamp.  The cost of this is also 100 baht, I believe.  Looking at this statement one can confirm that the balance in the account never dropped below 800,000 baht during the 3-month period before my application for retirement extension.  This certified bank statement is required by most, but maybe not all, immigration offices (mine is in Phuket).  Actually, I think I ask for a 4-month statement just to be sure to cover completely the 3-month seasoning period.  It's the same cost for 3 or 4 months.

At the immigration office I have my bank passbook with me.  The immigration officer checks that, I guess as confirmation that the balances in the passbook match with the certified bank statement.  Sometimes the immigration officer wants me to make copies of the passbook and sign them, which I guess is more confirmation that the balance has never dropped below 800,000 baht during the seasoning period.

I tend to top up the account used for the retirement extension with one relatively large transfer from my home country just before the seasoning period.  There are roughly monthly ATM withdrawals that I live on outside of the 3-month seasoning period.  (I also bring another bank account that shows more frequent weekly withdrawals and if necessary I could show how the money flows from one account to the other account and exactly how I pay for my living expenses.  However, that has never been necessary.)

Phuket Immigration does not require that the bank letter and statement be made on the day of application and I have always used ones dated the day before my visit to immigration, and that has always been acceptable in Phuket.  I have also never been asked to show a balance on the day of the actual application, but if asked I could go to an ATM and get a printed receipt showing the current balance.  My understanding is that some other immigration offices require both of these additional things (documents dated the same day as the application, and something indicating the current balance) but up to this point Phuket has not.

At my Krungsri branch which is rather small, I have to make the request for my letter and bank statement one day in advance.  In other words, I have to wait for the letters and statements to be signed so that I can pick them up at the start of business the following day.  I go straight to immigration to do my retirement extension after picking up these documents.
Thanks that just covers everything I needed to know.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Then you have a Savings account. Typical interest rate 0.5%

The fixed term account has no debit card. Higher interest rates.

True.  I personally use a Krungsri Bank Mee Tae Dai account which is currently earning 1.3% interest (compounded daily, paid monthly).  Significantly, it is classed as a regular saving account rather than a fixed term account and I do have a debit card.  It also means that unlike a fixed term account I do not have 15% automatically withheld on my interest that I have to get back by filing a Thai Income Tax Return the next year.  I'm not required to file a Thai Income Tax Return and have no reason to do so using a non-fixed term account.

The only thing different about this savings account is that you only get two free withdrawals per month after which you have to pay 50 baht per withdrawal.  Also, if you actively draw down this account you get to keep more accrued interest because it's paid monthly rather than a the end of the term as in a fixed term account.  I pay my living expenses from this account by making 1 or 2 withdrawals per month and transferring the money to another savings account.  I actually pay for my daily living expenses from this other account with an ATM debit card.  My retirement account has an ATM debit card as well, but I keep this in my safe as it's not needed daily.

4 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

Considering there are only 77 Countries with an Embassy in Thailand.

There are also Consulates. 

The Austrian Consulate in Pattaya, for instance, assist 5 different nationalities (that I am aware of). 

13 hours ago, logres212 said:

...the witnessing of Australian statutory declarations for Australian citizens...

Is this what is colloquially called "legalisation of a document", meaning that

1. a consular official checks your identity
  2. the official watches you sign the document (affidavit) in his presence
  3. the official affixes a stamp to the document with a text stating that you are the per person signing the document, and he signs this statement.

In other words, an authentication of your signature, nothing more and nothing less.