Prawit orders crackdown on ‘illegal’ foreigners

webfact

24 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The immigration bureau is yet to speed up the establishment of the foreigners' biometric identification database, the immigration screening system, and linking the visa information system electronically at all immigration units to enable immigration officials to access a centralized information which includes the information about visas from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, information about a residency report by the Ministry of Interior, and information about the accommodation of tourists by the Ministry of Tourism and Sports. 

I think when the Immigration folks hear the term "Big Data," I'm guessing they probably think it means Big Joke has a brother by that name! 

I'm sure that can't be true, why only in February Prawit surely didn't lie, when he told us it would all be ready within six months:
<sarcasm mode: off>

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The immigration bureau has been instructed to strictly enforce the immigration law to any foreigners residing in Thailand beyond the expiration or revocation of their visa, especially regarding any blacklisted persons, along with the verification of a foreigner’s work permit within the one- month time.

What does this bit about verification of a foreigner's work permit mean?

You have to go to immigration in the next 30 days and have your work permit verified and your passport stamped?

More information on this crackdown would be helpful.

2 minutes ago, joebrown said:

I can't see anything in Prawit's order that refers to catching and dealing severely (transfer to inactive post) with corrupt IOs who aide & abet these illegal aliens!? Have I misread the OP?

I was going to add, now that Hakpal is in charge of Immigration, I wonder if we'll ever find out what happened to the border officers who allegedly accepted substantial bribes to allow the Erawan Shrine bombers and related parties to cross back and forth across the border.  

I won't be holding my breath....:ph34r:

12 minutes ago, Wilsonandson said:

What does this bit about verification of a foreigner's work permit mean?

You have to go to immigration in the next 30 days and have your work permit verified and your passport stamped?

More information on this crackdown would be helpful.

I believe it means, if you happen to get caught up in one of their anti-foreigner sweeps or otherwise come in contact with the authorities, they'd be checking all your particulars, including visa status and work permit, if you have one. That's all.

Anyone been affected by this already 

I herd someone overstated by just 2 days and they got deported 

also people with permits that are registered and living at different address have been deported 

3 hours ago, Charlie1 said:

So, this is defense of the country....

But gangs shootings tourists is not a problem?

Who are the REAL criminals in this country?

And who are the <deleted> trying to make a good picture by chasing a few overstayers?

Disgusting and it's about time Thais are being treated the same way in other countries as well.

No matter their status!

It's certainly more than a little ironic that this anti-foreigner campaign, against supposed evil overstayers and criminals, gets launched just days after two foreigners are shot and killed as innocent bystanders outside a BKK mall by warring gangs of Thai teenagers, including some at least armed with automatic rifles.

So just what criminals are they targeting again????  :ph34r:

3 hours ago, klauskunkel said:

let's say all the foreign groups have the same amount of people: 10,000 (for simplicity sake)

with 1,600,000 foreigners it follows that people from 160 countries are living in Thailand

there is a total of 195 countries in the world

this leads me to two Big Joke questions:

1) who has been using the special calculators that were supposed to be used for the election only?

2) 35 countries are not represented, who are the deviants?

They were using Thai calculators which only have 4 digits. If the total is more than 9999 it resets to zero.

10 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

It's certainly more than a little ironic that this anti-foreigner campaign, against supposed evil overstayers and criminals, gets launched just days after two foreigners are shot and killed as innocent bystanders outside a BKK mall by warring gangs of Thai teenagers, including some at least armed with automatic rifles.

So just what criminals are they targeting again????  :ph34r:

I do not feel sorry for them . Even if they were not overstayers ... they could be...

8 minutes ago, marqus12 said:

I do not feel sorry for them . Even if they were not overstayers ... they could be...

You're saying you're OK with non Thais being shot and killed on the street by Thai gang members because the foreigners might have been overstayers?  Really???  :ph34r:

20 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

You're saying you're OK with non Thais being shot and killed on the street by Thai gang members because the foreigners might have been overstayers?  Really???  :ph34r:

I just try to imitate some expats on this forum with a burnt brain ????

We can't complain about Immigration deciding to enforce the Immigration Act which its purpose in life and foreigners overstay at their own peril.  Questions it raises are: 1) will they really crack down on foreign criminals like boiler rooms that are often left alone as long as they only target foreigners; 2) how will this affect the labour situation, since Thailand is now dependent on foreign labour but the difficulty and expense of getting them documented means that many Thai businesses rely on undocumented foreign labour.

its all about Corruption I saw about 200 Burmese workers build a shanty town , really out of town and very rural  Thy were brought into Build a dam. well they were brought in and later moved out in Military trucks, I'm sure they had all the visa stuff???????

good riddance.

US good guys who actually have means and money to stay Thailand must follow the rules and be legal, why should these others get the free ride?

why should allow these crooks come here and profit of Thailand?

start business illegally,

own property by way of a fake company and dodging around laws,

use fake degrees to teach English.

pay the agent to falsify visa requirements.

get embassy to declare a false declaration for money and income they dont have.

if you do this you are a crook. not many countries let you get away with it these days.

but these guys will be crying in the beer soon when the chickens come to roost

AND dont bother to reply and say

"oh but you will next on a hitlist next"

because Errrr, NO some of us are legal!!

NO, clean them out every last one of them!

6 hours ago, Srikcir said:

In short he is new to Immigration without prior experience within the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Prawit's order feels like a set-up.

Immigration is a part of Royal Thai police. 

Consulates on the other side are under the MFA. 

39 minutes ago, tingtongtourist said:

good riddance.

US good guys who actually have means and money to stay Thailand must follow the rules and be legal, why should these others get the free ride?

why should allow these crooks come here and profit of Thailand?

start business illegally,

own property by way of a fake company and dodging around laws,

use fake degrees to teach English.

pay the agent to falsify visa requirements.

get embassy to declare a false declaration for money and income they dont have.

if you do this you are a crook. not many countries let you get away with it these days.

but these guys will be crying in the beer soon when the chickens come to roost

AND dont bother to reply and say

"oh but you will next on a hitlist next"

I am legal but have been hit as I can no longer use proof of my income to obtain my visa extension.

And when I say proof, I mean originals, not copies of my bank statements, P60 (annual tax statement from government) and one current pension payslip, none of which would be easy to falsify.

Please try thinking before you go on a mindless rant.

58 minutes ago, tingtongtourist said:

You're "legal" until the authorities here decide to change the rules, or the way they interpret them, to make you illegal. And then that's what you'll be, illegal, just like the others you seem to despise.

The line between legal and illegal in Thailand is blurry and moving at best. No one should assume that they are exempt from at some point finding themselves on the wrong side of the line through no fault of their own.

Archived