Big Joke crackdown on corruption: Four transferred amid bribes at immigration scandal

webfact

Big Joke crackdown on corruption: Four transferred amid bribes at immigration scandal

5pm.jpg

TNA

New Immigration chief Maj-Gen Surachate "Big Joke" Hakparn has ordered the immediate transfer of four policemen after claims that his men were taking bribes came from China. 

The officers - that include one of very senior rank - will do clerical duties while an investigation into their activities takes place.

It has been suggested that the officers took 200 baht per person on top of 2,000 baht visas to enter Thailand. 

The Maj-Gen told TNA that he accepts that the corruption has been going on for a long time.

And despite the "No Tips" signs that have gone up nationwide it is still happening, he said. 

"We need to get this sorted out," he said, "and clear up the immigration police and the damage such practices are causing to Thailand's image". 

One of those transferred to clerical duties is believed to carry the rank of superintendent or chief of police. 

Maj-Gen Surachate moved to immigration on Monday of last week after being deputy at the Tourist Police Bureau. 

Source: TNA

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-10-09

5 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

How about a deterrent, like SACKING a few?

Now that's a bit harsh, they only stole from tourists at the point of entry damaging the national reputation. Surely the tourists didn't mind!

Every change in government sees a new immigration crew at the airport and downtown.

Out with the old...in with the new.

All dirty. 

Nothing ever changes in Thailand.

The next elected gov will simply hail the arrival of a new breed of corrupt officials.

Doesnt matter what BJ does.

Four officials getting transferred is nothing.

37 minutes ago, webfact said:

The Maj-Gen told TNA that he accepts that the corruption has been going on for a long time.

He was quoted as saying that after he cleans out the mess with immigration, he is going after the bloke with the watches 

Related image

Its like the police and immigration officers are on a transfer rotation.  Transferred from DM  somewhere else to be corrupt whilst other corrupt tranferees are being transferred to DM

41 minutes ago, webfact said:

New Immigration chief Maj-Gen Surachate "Big Joke" Hakparn has ordered the immediate transfer of four policemen after claims that his men were taking bribes came from China.

The 4 police officers got off easy. Bribery is a serious offence and the Thai Criminal Code criminalizes both active and passive bribery. The punishment under Section 144 for bribery is imprisonment up to 5 years or a fine of 10k or both. Big Joke must go beyond transfer and charge these men or he is just another joke.  

a girl i not see for 3 years suddenly gets in touch, she is an insurance agent now, *KC can you sponsor me,(give me money) so i can rise to office supervisor,* yes its sad, its here in all spheres of the working place, want to better yourself,? its gonna cost ya

43 minutes ago, Thaiwrath said:

Some of these people possibly paid a cash incentive, to people higher up the chain, to get to the employment position the were in ! :coffee1: 

Many, if not all of them, did. That's why they can't be sacked, only transfered.

Airport Immigration Head Transferred For Demanding ‘Tips’

By Teeranai Charuvastra, Staff Reporter

b7ca0e0f8b1d6ae9540622fc058801d45c021041

Maj. Gen. Surachet Hakpan poses by a “No tips please” sign at Don Mueang Airport on Thursday.

BANGKOK — The police officer in charge of border control at one of Bangkok’s international airports was removed and placed under investigation for allegedly extorting bribes from Chinese tourists, the immigration commander said Monday.

Col. Janchai Daengprasert was accused of ordering officers to request “tips” from inbound tourists at Don Mueang Airport, who would not be granted visas unless they payed up. Immigration police chief Surachet Hakpan said his office talked to one of the victims and established that the allegations appear to be true.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crimecourtscalamity/2018/10/09/airport-immigration-head-transferred-for-demanding-tips/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2018-10-09

New broom sweeps well the folk's saying goes, and when the initial hooplah and the excitement dies down and everybody goes down to the brass knuckles, what's in it for me? hopefully this guy will be different to others, or will he?...

Hopefully they will make it down to the Sadao border (Danok / Bukit Kayu Hitam).   From recent experience, I've seen cameras confiscated when people tried to take photos.   At least they are more sophisticated with the collection of tips, usually collected from the driver of the van/bus and privately exchanged off-site.

1 hour ago, Thaiwrath said:

Some of these people possibly paid a cash incentive, to people higher up the chain, to get to the employment position the were in ! :coffee1: 

Same goes for the police who bought their position. 

3 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

The 4 police officers got off easy. Bribery is a serious offence and the Thai Criminal Code criminalizes both active and passive bribery. The punishment under Section 144 for bribery is imprisonment up to 5 years or a fine of 10k or both. Big Joke must go beyond transfer and charge these men or he is just another joke.  

If I get arrested for failing to do a 90 day report or having overstayed my visa, will I also get transferred to perform clerical duties?

Just who are the real criminals here?

Lucky that the airport bribes issue ended up involving Chinese, both involving the recent security guard assault case and now the "tips" case with airport immigeration.

Were it not for that, the gravy train would have continued unabated. After all, the Chinese must be kowtowed to.

BTW, does anyone think the money that airport immigration was collecting as "tips" didn't find its way further up the food chain beyond just the head immigration guy at DM???

They will find another way such as charging you 200 baht to do a photo copy , 500 baht for a letter of residency but they will never give you a receipt even if you ask for one . I have watched these scams and others go on at my local immigration office for years

One can only give full credit to the new immigration boss. Keep up the good work sir and if necessary, use foreigners with hidden body cams to trap the rotten corrupt officers in the immigration offices nationwide, as they harass and don't do their jobs. Corruption is bad, but being inefficent and not doing the job is equally a plague for the image of the Kingdom.

Make formalities more simple for the decent retirees/expats,  say on visa extension issues, enforce less red tape, it will kill the black market of the corrupt officers and agents.

Things are needed to be cleaned up from the bottom with the rotten apples dealing directly with the public and who harass with the hope of getting a small contribution.

Archived