What was your biggest medical bill and why?

scubascuba3

Stayed in hospital (february-march this year), first 3 days then I wanted to go home,

then after 3-4 days I passed out at home was picked up by ambulance, stayed about 5 weeks.

cost somewhat less than 2 million

did some skin cancer work

some prostate fix

couple of stents

pneumonia*2

terrible infection inside right leg, took long time to fix

main problem lung capacity and oxygen intake, took long time to fix

fairly comfortable experience, very nice room with nice view,

Bangkok Post every day, every day I got a menu where I could tick off what I wanted for

breakfast-lunch-dinner the next day

I have noted that my insurance company (travel) has a list of hospitals in Bangkok that they

already have deals with re payment. All the expensive hospitals are on their list, like Bumrungrad, the Samitivejs,

BNH, Bangkok etc.

On 10/10/2018 at 6:34 PM, Kerryd said:

The pain had gradually increased to the point where I was having problems sleeping or doing little things like putting on a shirt (or taking one off). Initially the pain was like a "pinched nerve" that goes away after a couple of days. After a couple weeks though it had gotten to the point where it was a relief when it was only a "dull ache" instead of the stabbing pain that was happening more often.

I actually found myself cradling my arm like you would if it was broken (trying to stabilize it so that it doesn't move and cause more pain).

Did the surgery and the pain was gone. Obviously you take it easy for the first little while, but I was able to sleep normally and dress/undress without problem.

I waited for 3 months until I started exercising again. Used light weights (maybe half of what I'd been doing before) and took it easy but within a couple days I was getting an dull pain in the shoulder joint. Took a week off and then tried again. The pain came back again so I stopped exercising altogether.

3 months later I tried again. Same thing, light weights and easy routine. This time there was no pain. Took it easy and worked my way back up gradually to where I was able to use the heaviest weights I'd been using before (even had to buy some additional ones).

It's been a little over 2 1/2 years now since I had the surgery and once in a blue moon I will get a small ache in the shoulder. Could be arthritis though (apparently the Doc noticed some when he had the camera in the shoulder socket during the surgery). It's minor and infrequent so it's not a concern.

In addition to the exercising (with the weights and machines) I've also taken a few trips on the Harley and had to lift the bike up a couple times (once after a minor accident) and the shoulder never bothered me at all. (The bike is about 325 kgs "dry weight" and bit of a ***** to lift if it ever goes over on it's side for any reason.)

I haven't tried doing any chin-ups though. I'm working on dropping a few kilos before I try that again ! It occurred to me (after I injured the shoulder of course) that the last time I'd done chin-ups was something like 12 years earlier, when I was also something like 25 kilos lighter as well ! Maybe if I can get back down into the mid-60 kg range I may try again. Got a ways to go though so it won't be any time soon !

Sorry but you didn't answer my question. My Orthopedic surgeon told me he won't operate on me unless I have full range of movement in my shoulder either on my own strength or using my other arm to lift my injured arm. I can only lift my arm to shoulder height on my own arms strength but can pull it overhead using my other arm. I had the same symptoms as you did exactly except I felt pain from the first day and knew when it happened I had torn the rotator cuff which the MRI confirmed as a full thickness tear. I am wondering if other doctors have required their patients to have full range of movement before surgery or if it is just my doctor's requirement. He says he won't operate on a frozen shoulder and it has been 4.5 months since my accident.

3 hours ago, strabel23 said:

Sorry but you didn't answer my question. My Orthopedic surgeon told me he won't operate on me unless I have full range of movement in my shoulder either on my own strength or using my other arm to lift my injured arm. I can only lift my arm to shoulder height on my own arms strength but can pull it overhead using my other arm. I had the same symptoms as you did exactly except I felt pain from the first day and knew when it happened I had torn the rotator cuff which the MRI confirmed as a full thickness tear. I am wondering if other doctors have required their patients to have full range of movement before surgery or if it is just my doctor's requirement. He says he won't operate on a frozen shoulder and it has been 4.5 months since my accident.

That doesn't make sense that he wouldn't operate unless you had full range of movement. You operate when the patient does not have full range or it is excessively painful to even try.

If your MRI shows the tear then there should be no reason why he could not operate on it to fix it.

The only way I had "full range" of movement is if I clamped my teeth together on a leather strap and then used my left arm to lift my right arm as high as it could go. 
I went about 3 1/2 months from the time of the injury until the operation. As mentioned, it didn't seem to bad at first but I guess that small bone spur under the clavicle was like a nail gouging into the tear and making it worse. 

If I'd gone for the MRI right off the bat we would have seen the extent of the damage and I'd have probably had the surgery a month early, instead of spending that month doing physio and trying cortisone.

The guy I saw at Bangkok Pattaya hospital is this guy: https://www.bangkokpattayahospital.com/en/doctor-profile?v_id=171&depid=22

Speaks English of course and, from my experience at least, seems to know what he is doing. I was quite happy with the end result.

Might want to set up an appointment with him to see what he says. Just having an appointment wouldn't be too expensive. As you already have an MRI and know you have a tear, you can skip any suggestions of cortisone shots and physiotherapy as those aren't going to do much for a ligament tear.

Gallbladder surgery one month ago - 220K - paid in full from insurance - 2018

Pneumonia - 35K - three days in the hospital - paid in full from insurance - Jan 2018 

A scope on stomach - 35K - two days in the hospital - linked now to Gallbladder failing - paid full from insurance - Oct 2017

Gallbladder - 30K - two days in the hospital. They thought it was just chronic GERD - paid in full from insurance Jan 2017

So I had really two years of problems from a sick Gallbladder. The pneumonia was linked they said due to my immune system being weak from a leaky gallbladder now. 

Edited by totally thaied up

4 hours ago, Kerryd said:

The guy I saw at Bangkok Pattaya hospital is this guy: https://www.bangkokpattayahospital.com/en/doctor-profile?v_id=171&depid=22

Just looked at the profile of this doctor; same doctor I had a few years ago for a bone spur in my shoulder. I can vouch for him; he told me what the problem was, explained what the operation would entail, performed the operation and everything came out just as expected. If I have any problems in the future I'll use him and I can definitely recommend him to anyone with orthopedic issues. 

20 hours ago, Kerryd said:

That doesn't make sense that he wouldn't operate unless you had full range of movement. You operate when the patient does not have full range or it is excessively painful to even try.

If your MRI shows the tear then there should be no reason why he could not operate on it to fix it.

The only way I had "full range" of movement is if I clamped my teeth together on a leather strap and then used my left arm to lift my right arm as high as it could go. 
I went about 3 1/2 months from the time of the injury until the operation. As mentioned, it didn't seem to bad at first but I guess that small bone spur under the clavicle was like a nail gouging into the tear and making it worse. 

If I'd gone for the MRI right off the bat we would have seen the extent of the damage and I'd have probably had the surgery a month early, instead of spending that month doing physio and trying cortisone.

Speaks English of course and, from my experience at least, seems to know what he is doing. I was quite happy with the end result.

Might want to set up an appointment with him to see what he says. Just having an appointment wouldn't be too expensive. As you already have an MRI and know you have a tear, you can skip any suggestions of cortisone shots and physiotherapy as those aren't going to do much for a ligament tear.

Yes I had a cortisone injection already and didn't do a thing but the dr. wants me to do physio because as he says he won't operate on me if I have a frozen shoulder. He did ask me my age (65) which made me suspicious because I had read about another doctor that refused to operate because he said the patient was too old (53) and not strong and the results would not have been good. I am not in Thailand at the moment and am hoping to do the operation before returning to Thailand but it takes so long here to do anything. I will make another appointment and try again.

The largest single hospitalization bills I have seen reported in this forum were around 4 million baht. These were at private hospitals and entailed 2 or more specialized surgeries and extended ICU care.

If what you want to know is how much do you need to be insured for I would say 3-5 million baht per event or over 5 million baht per year. Some insurance policies cap by event (meaning hospitalization or illness/accident) and some cap by year which could encompass more than 1 event.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 10/9/2018 at 8:39 PM, connda said:

Inguinal hernia repair.  Maharaj Hospital Chiang Mai.  3 nights in a private room and surgery with mesh.  18K THB.  If you're paying out of pocket, government hospitals are the way to go.  You just have to have a little patience. 

If you would you rate your hernia repair as a success who was your doctor?

And how long did you have to wait to get the repair done?

And any other info you can share here or PM will be great. Thanks

On 10/10/2018 at 6:38 AM, yankee99 said:

arthroscopic shoulder surgery at samitivej 475,000

I was quoted similar by this hospital so went for a 2nd opinion at Bamurnungrad who fixed my shoulder for 30,000THB using a months sessions of physio - no surgery needed. I will never set foot in Samitivej again, even tho its walking distance from where I live.

I was quoted similar by this hospital so went for a 2nd opinion at Bamurnungrad who fixed my shoulder for 30,000THB using a months sessions of physio - no surgery needed. I will never set foot in Samitivej again, even tho its walking distance from where I live.
Had same issue in phitsanoluk the private wanted 100-200k went to government hospital and had same surgery with the same doctor for 9100. Patience Waxman required either. Saw doctor at private on Sunday evening and saw her the next day at government hospital. Scheduled surgery for the next day (outpatient). Showed up at 830 for surgery was on the table by 930 and done by 1100. Only long wait was at the pharmacy (maybe an hour)

Sent from my SM-J250F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app