B Visa. Issues

My wife who is a chinese national, is the M.D. of two legal companies, one in China and a sister company in Bangkok. She alternates between the two.

both companies have been operating since 2003, and she has had a Thai work permit from the outset. Her latest WP was issued a few months ago and is valid for two years. 

Yesterday she went to the Thai Consulate in Guangzhou to apply for a new B Visa and again was only given a three month single entry, a total waste of time and effort. 

As I understand it, a B visa cannot be extended in Thailand so how to get around this stupidity ? I would have thought that with  a two year WP, the obvious B Visa would be a one year multi entry.

i, along with my wife also alternates between China and Thailand, and I have a retirement extension, it has been suggested that she ditches her B Visa, applies for a Non O and then piggy backs my extension, but after talking to the Labour Dept, they have confirmed that by doing this, she will lose her WP.

with these “unreasonable” restrictions in place, I can understand people being forced to work illegally.

Anyone with experiences on this ?

Multiple entry non-b visas for working are difficult to get now. If working for a Chinese company with business contacts here she could apply for one based upon business purposes.

If she has a work permit she should be able to apply for a one year extension of stay based upon working for her company here. The basic list of requirements for the extension are here. https://www.immigration.go.th/content/service_1

After getting the one year extension she could get a multiple re-entry permit for her trips out of the country

9 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Surprised the Labour Dept' said that about Non O. I worked for many years with WP's issued on my Non O.

That is because you are married to a Thai.

Her non-o visa and then an extension of stay would be based upon his permit to stay for being a member of his family.

Still not correct since the rules only state a non immigrant visa entry. Apparently most work permit permit offices are of the opinion that a person with that type of non-o visa is not authorized to work.

Of course since she already has her work permit there would be no reason to inform the labor ministry that she no longer has a non-b visa entry.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

That is because you are married to a Thai.

Her non-o visa and then an extension of stay would be based upon his permit to stay for being a member of his family.

Still not correct since the rules only state a non immigrant visa entry. Apparently most work permit permit offices are of the opinion that a person with that type of non-o visa is not authorized to work.

Of course since she already has her work permit there would be no reason to inform the labor ministry that she no longer has a non-b visa entry.

Agree, but renewal after a year may cause a hiccup.

The consulate has done the right thing.

It is not clear why she needs a multi-entry non-B visa.

She should apply for an extension of stay, based on work if she already has a WP.

Is she paying income tax in Thailand?

Since you mention that she her current WP is valid for 2 years,

why can't she get an extension of stay, based on work?

1 hour ago, varun said:

The consulate has done the right thing.

It is not clear why she needs a multi-entry non-B visa.

She should apply for an extension of stay, based on work if she already has a WP.

Is she paying income tax in Thailand?

Since you mention that she her current WP is valid for 2 years,

why can't she get an extension of stay, based on work?

If you read my post again, you may have noticed I stated she was running two “legal” companies so that indicates that she pays all required.

you ask “ why she needs a multi entry non B”quite simple, she travels regularly on business, and with a single entry that is not possible.

one of her biggest customers in Thailand are the SRT, and they have suppliers from many countries that need to be visited. 

50 minutes ago, DipStick said:

If you read my post again, you may have noticed I stated she was running two “legal” companies so that indicates that she pays all required.

you ask “ why she needs a multi entry non B”quite simple, she travels regularly on business, and with a single entry that is not possible. 

one of her biggest customers in Thailand are the SRT, and they have suppliers from many countries that need to be visited. 

Based on your original post I assumed she was running two 'legal companies', two companies which provide legal services / lawyers.

1 hour ago, ukrules said:

Based on your original post I assumed she was running two 'legal companies', two companies which provide legal services / lawyers.

You are correct, bad writing on my behalf, I should have said legally registered

3 hours ago, DipStick said:

You have still not answered the question. 

If she is legally working in Thailand, a single-entry Non-B is all that is initially required, which can be then be transitioned into an extension of stay (based on work) at Chaeng Wattana immigration or the One-Stop Center(if the company is under BOI priveleges) 

All she needs then is a multiple re-entry permit and she can travel in and out of Thailand as she pleases.

Why has she not done this?

What I suspect that you have conveniently omitted from this post is that she is probably gets her salary in China and pays income tax locally.

In this situation, it would make sense to travel in and out of Thailand on a multi-entry business visa, to attend business meetings with clients.

Things would get a lot more complicated if her salary was being paid partly in Thailand and China and she was getting taxed on both components.

This still doesn't explain why she has a 2-year WP, but no extension of stay linked to it.