Im in the Mood for some Western Food...

Nyezhov

Im looking in the fridge and freezer and nothing is turning me on. I had a few Isaan sausages for lunch with some sticky rice, and I dont feel like having dinner from the Noodle Lady, or the Chicken Rice Lady, or the Gai Yang Lady. I dont want Mickey Ds, or what is supposed to be Pizza in the local mall. There is a Sizzler...but.....

Any suggestions? I feel like going down to Farangumvit anyway, but I dont want to spend $20 for crap. Any place on the BTS or MRT would work. What about a place like the Kiwi? Any place to get a good burger or a sarnie that wont break the bank, or a cheap decent steak or Italian? Ill even eat British food.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ive lived in Thailand for over 13 years now and never really missed farang food. but of late i find myself craving pies. Real pies, like those you get from an English chippy. Its almost an obssession now. 

For a suggestio, i like that place under ASOK BTS that sells pizza slices and stuff. They have some sort of Italian potato and ham pie thing, and its great. not too pricey either.

49 minutes ago, nikmar said:

ive lived in Thailand for over 13 years now and never really missed farang food. but of late i find myself craving pies. Real pies, like those you get from an English chippy. Its almost an obssession now. 

For a suggestio, i like that place under ASOK BTS that sells pizza slices and stuff. They have some sort of Italian potato and ham pie thing, and its great. not too pricey either.

Hmmm...I wouldnt mind a Pie. I havent had a pie in ages. Nor a slice of pizza.

Best damn burger in Bangkok (IMHO) is Daniel Thaiger.  Started buy a guy from SoCal who had the first food truck here in Bangkok about 5 years ago.  He has a few locations now, but the easiest one to get to off the BTS (and his least expensive location) is the food truck that is parked about 50 feet down Sukhumvit 30/1 between the Phrom Phong and Thonglor BTS stations.  He has other locations but they are more expensive.  Much MUCH better than BK, Carl’s Jr. and even better than In-N-Out burger in California (if you’re familiar with them).

https://m.facebook.com/DanielThaiger

55 minutes ago, Airalee said:

Best damn burger in Bangkok (IMHO) is Daniel Thaiger.  Started buy a guy from SoCal who had the first food truck here in Bangkok about 5 years ago.  He has a few locations now, but the easiest one to get to off the BTS (and his least expensive location) is the food truck that is parked about 50 feet down Sukhumvit 30/1 between the Phrom Phong and Thonglor BTS stations.  He has other locations but they are more expensive.  Much MUCH better than BK, Carl’s Jr. and even better than In-N-Out burger in California (if you’re familiar with them).

https://m.facebook.com/DanielThaiger

Did he used to be on Soi 38?

13 minutes ago, Airalee said:

Not sure...wait...google says yes.  That was his original location.  I’m kinda new to Bangkok.

Yeah when I looked at his FB I recognized the truck. His burgers are OK, I would classify In and Out as better though he sure does beat Micky Ds and BK. I think he did a pork burger that was tasty

1 minute ago, Nyezhov said:

Yeah when I looked at his FB I recognized the truck. His burgers are OK, I would classify In and Out as better though he sure does beat Micky Ds and BK. I think he did a pork burger that was tasty

I haven’t tried the pork burger.  I’ll have to give it a go one of these days.  Wish he had one closer to Phra Khanong so I didn’t have to travel so far...then again, the walk back probably does me some good.

8 minutes ago, Airalee said:

I haven’t tried the pork burger.  I’ll have to give it a go one of these days.  Wish he had one closer to Phra Khanong so I didn’t have to travel so far...then again, the walk back probably does me some good.

Dude Im in Thonburi try walking from there ????

12 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Dude Im in Thonburi try walking from there ????

I’ve walked home from the river near Khao San before.  Not because I’m “green” or anything like that.  Was just my own personal form of protest as there didn’t seem to be any honest taxi drivers that would use the meter in that area.  Thought about hopping on the BTS at Siam but I was already sweating so much that I looked like Breather from the old Elvira show.

1 hour ago, moontang said:

Those mini pizza at the entrance to SOI Cowboy looked ok and surprisingly reasonable at 70 THB.

Sounds like you didn't try a slice, good decision!  Walk a couple blocks to Pala (next to the MRT) and get some pizza that's not microwaved.

7 hours ago, camble said:

Sounds like you didn't try a slice, good decision!  Walk a couple blocks to Pala (next to the MRT) and get some pizza that's not microwaved.

I have heard that Pala pizza is real good. My craving for western food remains unsatisfied and I wont be to Farangumvit till Friday, day maybe. 

BTW, where is the best schwarma?

2 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

I have heard that Pala pizza is real good. My craving for western food remains unsatisfied and I wont be to Farangumvit till Friday, day maybe. 

BTW, where is the best schwarma?

Don't know schwarma, but the best bbq ribs are at The Smokin' Pug near Lumpini Park and the best Mexican is La Monita Taqueria in the Mahatun Plaza (BTS Ploenchit)

Good Mexican is in MBK 5th floor. International foods. I know you're looking for western, but they also have a decent Viet restaurant. Plus A bar, with cocktails in the middle.

You get a charge card when you walk in. They add your purchase to the card when you order and pay on the way out.

35 minutes ago, camble said:

For seafood, try Snapper NZ in the first subsoi off Soi 8. Cod is good but I love the calamari with onion rings and a bottle of Moosehead for about 500.

My gig on Seafood is how the Thais do it. I have been in goong heaven recently.

3 places.

1. Directly underneath Asoke bts is a resteraunt that looks a bit like a delicatessen. Great western food and pizzas but it's always packed

2.corner of soi 13 is Margarita Storm, good Mexican and burgers

3. The old German beer house has relocated to the trendy condo about 3 minute walk from Margarita Storm soi 13

You can check out all 3 in a 10 minute walk

21 hours ago, nikmar said:

Pala Pizza under Asoke BTS

I have to laugh. I love all sorts of food and Thai is not bad; some of it is even really good. However, I do like my Western food. Too bad you guys cannot cook or have someone who is a good enough cook to make you good Western food.  I know, it's not always possible to get the right ingredients, but you can get close, if you know how to cook.

Last night, the wife made a meat loaf, green bean casserole and mashed potatoes with mushroom gravy--all made from scratch, no cans, packages, or boxes here mate. That dinner was one of my mother's specialties, but my wife makes it nearly as good. It's my old friend's birthday tomorrow and she is baking him his favorite, a cinnamon carrot cake with creme cheese icing--of course I will get my share of it. 

Archived