Im in the Mood for some Western Food...

Nyezhov

4 minutes ago, poanoi said:

a friend will bring in bearnaise supply from USA,

i used to buy bearnaise ready to eat, but the powder

that i had to add butter and water is also fine if its knorr brand.

i have tried so many sauces here and they invariably gets me depressed and upset,

last fail turned out to be some sort of ketchup heresy

Tops has 36 varieties from all over the world.  I'm sure you can find one to your liking. 

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tinnies..in Jomtien has the best pies outside australia. It's an Aus owner with a serious baking kitchen that's immaculate. He does eat in meals. Also so does a huge selection of pastries. I wish they'd put it on foodpanda. They have large sizes that are frozen if you have an oven for reheat. 

Rave reviews on google and tripadvisor. Worth a trip to stock up.

Image result for tinnies pies jomtien

Tinnies..in Jomtien has the best pies outside australia. It's an Aus owner with a serious baking kitchen that's immaculate. He does eat in meals. Also so does a huge selection of pastries. I wish they'd put it on foodpanda. They have large sizes that are frozen if you have an oven for reheat. 
Rave reviews on google and tripadvisor. Worth a trip to stock up.

post-276-0-92433800-1455285637_thumb.jpg&key=3aef7e45fa1017d61f3b398726a869e2a1b658e40ddbaae01919c5e6e18bedad
Isn't it 200 baht plus four a pie? Growing up in oz I always looked at pies as a quick fix to fill the hole. Certainly not a dine in experience.

Will have to try one next time in jomtien and see if I'm wrong

2 minutes ago, blackhorse said:

Isn't it 200 baht plus four a pie? Growing up in oz I always looked at pies as a quick fix to fill the hole. Certainly not a dine in experience.

Will have to try one next time in jomtien and see if I'm wrong

His pies are double the filling to Aus seriously filled to the brim with meat. I'm hungry now Lol.

5 hours ago, owenm said:

One dish I usually cook up weekly is home made spaghetti bolognese .. 

I use a can of Prego tomato, basil and garlic sauce as a base for 64thb, 500gms of premium mince pork, an onion, carrot, garlic, 2 red chillies, add some herbs such as bay leaf, mixed Italian herbs and thyme leaf, all herbs from Tops.. And Penne or Twisty pasta, and I usually get 5 meals at a cost of about 200bht total.. Aroi muk.. 

can't stomach that prego sauce, it's mostly sugar...for a pasta sauce I'll use fresh peeled tomatoes, lots of onion and garlic and whatever spices I got and a couple of tablespoons of tomato paste...Tops has got italian seasoning? gotta check that out...with 500g of pasta that'll do me for 2 - 3 days...good economy...I usually use the frozen imported ground beef from makro, too much pork is too rich fer my aged innards...

also try a minestrone, a vegetable stew with canned beans, potatoes and pasta in a tomato sauce...plenty of recipes on the internet, very 'hearty'...grate a bit of parmesan as a garnish but that's optional...in a big pot, good fer 3 days, etc...most ingredients available locally...

also if yer in BKK you got access to most ingredients...a classic chilli with beans, 500g ground beef, 2 cans of red kidney beans, tomatoes, onions and garlic, 2 tbbls of tomato paste and some 'chile powder' (I prefer the flaked red chile available everywhere)...simmer fer an hour and bob's yer uncle...stove top in a big pot, good fer 2 - 3 days especially if ye got some nice bread to go with it...an american favorite with a million recipes on the internet...

remember that the beans got lotsa fiber and good for bowel movements later...

gotta check out your in house cooking arrangement...a simple hot plate will do and you'll need a nice 4 quart big heavy bottomed pot, a sauce pan for boiling noodles and pasta, a skillet and a knife that you can sharpen easily which you can find in most supermarkets...the jap brands are the best...also a colander for washing and draining ingredients, you can get a big plastic one for 20 baht...and food storage containers for the fridge...

and then you shall no longer be subject to the tyranny of street food...eat what ye want whenever ye want it...one can spend all day looking at recipes on google...

hasta la victoria siempre!...venceremos!

13 hours ago, blackhorse said:
14 hours ago, seancbk said:

Really?  I have friends with kitchens that have full sized ovens with 4 gas burners on top.   

Your probably in the country though. I'm in bangkok surrounded by a zillion resteraunts.

Can't think of a single meal I would cook in an oven. Back home yes eg leg of lamb, beef roast..

I just use the Slow cooker, a stir frying pan and the microwave is great for fatty meat.

I would never live out in the countryside, can't think of anything more boring!  No clubs, too few people to go out with, no shopping malls nearby etc  

You said you've not seen any oven in any sized condo here, I just found that strange as I know several people in large condos with big kitchens with full sized ovens.  

13 hours ago, poanoi said:

not if its not a good bearnaise

No such thing as a good Bearnaise in a jar.  If you want a good one make it yourself in America or Thailand. You'll need a decent saucepan.  However if you are trying to lose weight Bearnaise sauce is about the last thing you'd want to eat.  Start eating Thai food boiled veggies with more veggies and more veggies. 

2 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

No such thing as a good Bearnaise in a jar.  If you want a good one make it yourself in America or Thailand. You'll need a decent saucepan.  However if you are trying to lose weight Bearnaise sauce is about the last thing you'd want to eat.  Start eating Thai food boiled veggies with more veggies and more veggies. 

well isnt that just typical ?

but anyway i'm so craving for bearnaise theres not enuff adjectives in the world, and to top things off theres no alternative i can stand.

unfortunately i lost appetite on thai food, or rice to be specific

On 10/10/2018 at 8:06 PM, seancbk said:

Really?  I have friends with kitchens that have full sized ovens with 4 gas burners on top.   

Which condos have gas piped in for cooktops?  I’ve searched far and wide on hipflat, and even in the high end condos (up to and including the Ritz Carlton), all I am seeing are electric cooktops.

15 minutes ago, Airalee said:

Which condos have gas piped in for cooktops?  I’ve searched far and wide on hipflat, and even in the high end condos (up to and including the Ritz Carlton), all I am seeing are electric cooktops.

Everyone I know uses bottled gas.  Cheap and easy.  Delivered in 10 minutes from a call.  The problem I've found is no low setting on the cooktop.  Difficult to saute cream sauces.  I use a buffer between the gas top and the pan.  I've never seen piped gas anywhere in Thailand.  Has anyone?

On 10/11/2018 at 1:54 PM, poanoi said:

well isnt that just typical ?

but anyway i'm so craving for bearnaise theres not enuff adjectives in the world, and to top things off theres no alternative i can stand.

unfortunately i lost appetite on thai food, or rice to be specific

Not liking rice in Thailand is equivalent to not liking tea in Great Britain.  Are you sure you don't need some therapy or pills or something?  One of the reasons I moved to Thailand is the great variety of rice.  I have three rice cookers for different types and amounts. 

Everyone I know uses bottled gas.  Cheap and easy.  Delivered in 10 minutes from a call.  The problem I've found is no low setting on the cooktop.  Difficult to saute cream sauces.  I use a buffer between the gas top and the pan.  I've never seen piped gas anywhere in Thailand.  Has anyone?
Are you serious! They must be crappy little condos as that practice was outlawed years ago for obvious reasons.

6 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

All the condos I have lived in have restrictions on using bottled gas.  It’s a bummer, but it is what it is.  I wish they had dishwashers here in Thailand also.

1 minute ago, Airalee said:

All the condos I have lived in have restrictions on using bottled gas.  It’s a bummer, but it is what it is.  I wish they had dishwashers here in Thailand also.

I can understand that.  I can also understand not having dishwashers and garbage disposals considering the lack of quality sewers. 

21 minutes ago, Airalee said:

There is no piped gas.  They use big gas cylinders.   LPG for household cooking is 363 Baht per 15 kg cylinder.

Here are a few properties advertised with Gas ovens, the second one you can just about make out the gas burners in the background and the third you can clearly see them.

https://www.bangkokpropertyservices.com/richmond-palace-condo-for-rent-with-gas-oven-and-maids-room-92

https://www.sukhumvithomes.com/property/charanmansion-bangkok-petfriendly-3bedroom-condo/

http://www.bangkokpropertyagency.com/?list_estate=lalit-house-phra-khanong-spacious-3-bed-fully-furnished-condo-to-let-3068

7 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Not liking rice in Thailand is equivalent to not liking tea in Great Britain.  Are you sure you don't need some therapy or pills or something?  One of the reasons I moved to Thailand is the great variety of rice.  I have three rice cookers for different types and amounts. 

i had no issues for many years, i think it started in cambodia when they were so cheap with the meat, and occasionally 'forgot' to add any at all, which may have been just as well since it never exceeded a teaspoon anyway,

and when i got back to thailand and locked myself in during songkran along with 16 rice dishes, -i reached my limit,

i dont feel like eating rice again

5 minutes ago, Airalee said:

You can buy dishwashers here no problem.   Even Lazada has them.    

https://www.lazada.co.th/catalog/?q=dishwasher&_keyori=ss&from=input&spm=a2o4m.home.search.go.1125719cBUyfvb

Have you never been to HomePro or Powerbuy?  

https://www.homepro.co.th/category/11885?lang=en&gclid=CjwKCAjwjIHeBRAnEiwAhYT2hw-ikgVPYO_M5GefQ-EEQBbg3zTicBAf1F2kAMyg1jYXJm8lLYlFbRoCBccQAvD_BwE

6 minutes ago, blackhorse said:

Anyone know if dishwashers here need hot water or is the warm tap water good enough?

I've seen dishwashers at home pro.  My washer has it's own heater with two different temp settings.  I'd imagine a dishwasher could do the same.  Not much good if it dosen't sanitize. 

20 minutes ago, Airalee said:

I have 2 of the gas burners that use the small canister gas cylinders.   The gas is sold in MaxValue (at least that is where I buy mine).  I think it's about 50 baht a can, although I don't really look at prices that carefully.  One can lasts me roughly a month, maybe more.   I cook with gas every day, usually making breakfast.

Unless your condo searches your shopping bags or your unit how would they know you are using those small gas canisters?

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/otto-gs-800-i124545413-s130460668.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlistcategory.list.35.723d46e8D2dzjk&search=1

6 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

I've seen dishwashers at home pro.  My washer has it's own heater with two different temp settings.  I'd imagine a dishwasher could do the same.  Not much good if it dosen't sanitize. 

My dish washer also cooks, washes clothes, and a few other duties.????

14 minutes ago, blackhorse said:

Anyone know if dishwashers here need hot water or is the warm tap water good enough?

You choose which "cycle" to wash the dishes, heater built into the dishwasher, tap water ok.

29 minutes ago, blackhorse said:
37 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Are you serious! They must be crappy little condos as that practice was outlawed years ago for obvious reasons.

I live in a house.  What are you on about? 

On 10/10/2018 at 10:40 AM, Nyezhov said:

I have heard that Pala pizza is real good. My craving for western food remains unsatisfied and I wont be to Farangumvit till Friday, day maybe. 

BTW, where is the best schwarma?

There's a hatch in the wall of a middle eastern joint on corner Soi 5, and Sukh. opposite McD -but its been nearly 2 years- my memory may be all wrong. Anyway its a just a block or so on the same side of  Sukh. Rd. As the delightfully infamous Bier(hall)garten, if that still exists! The shawarmas there were OK. Or else just explore the Arab quarter around Nana Hotel and look at what's on their plates.

Archived