Jump to content

Im in the Mood for some Western Food...


Nyezhov

Recommended Posts

On 10/9/2018 at 5:18 PM, Nyezhov said:

Hmmm...I wouldnt mind a Pie. I havent had a pie in ages. Nor a slice of pizza.

Tops sells Pies...from Australia.

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, smotherb said:

I have to laugh. I love all sorts of food and Thai is not bad; some of it is even really good. However, I do like my Western food. Too bad you guys cannot cook or have someone who is a good enough cook to make you good Western food.  I know, it's not always possible to get the right ingredients, but you can get close, if you know how to cook.

 

Last night, the wife made a meat loaf, green bean casserole and mashed potatoes with mushroom gravy--all made from scratch, no cans, packages, or boxes here mate. That dinner was one of my mother's specialties, but my wife makes it nearly as good. It's my old friend's birthday tomorrow and she is baking him his favorite, a cinnamon carrot cake with creme cheese icing--of course I will get my share of it. 

Funny..cooking is my hobby and I am a great cook, even under primitive circumstance. But cooking entails cleaning up. Nope. I have enough trouble keepin up with the bathroom.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I went to the Cast Iron Burgerhaus at Ari Phahon Yothin 7 the other night and was genuinely impressed with the meal. Burger was flavoursome and juicy, wasn't filled with sauces and just relied on its own flavours.

 

They have a few different wheat beers in the bottle, and a few ales on tap too. Small place and had quite a turnover of customers in the time we were there.

 

Also, a few people have mentioned Pala Roma at BTS Asoke. It is okay but is more of a turkish style base. For a more leavened base try Visuvio Pizza opposite the Kiwi bar off in the Suk 8 sub soi on the right.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, I've also found it difficult to find a decent pie.. I tried a Pie Face at a Bangkok SC, which is an Aussie pie chain that usually rates ok in Oz, but the Thai equivalents, both beef and chicken, left me disappointed.. Too much sugar in the pastry, and the filling was somewhat ordinary.. Unfortunately the recipe isn't per the original Oz recipe, and comments on their FB didn't warrant them replying.. 

 

However London Pies off Sukhumvit make the best I've tasted in Bangkok.. Not cheap, but still good value.. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, weegee said:

Tops sells Pies...from Australia.

They call them Aussie Pies but are made in Phuket by an Aussie Expat.. Lady pies, reasonably priced, but a little disappointed, in the microwave anyway.. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, owenm said:

They call them Aussie Pies but are made in Phuket by an Aussie Expat.. Lady pies, reasonably priced, but a little disappointed, in the microwave anyway.. 

Heat them in an oven...Microwave kills them.

Link to post
Share on other sites

One dish I usually cook up weekly is home made spaghetti bolognese .. 

I use a can of Prego tomato, basil and garlic sauce as a base for 64thb, 500gms of premium mince pork, an onion, carrot, garlic, 2 red chillies, add some herbs such as bay leaf, mixed Italian herbs and thyme leaf, all herbs from Tops.. And Penne or Twisty pasta, and I usually get 5 meals at a cost of about 200bht total.. Aroi muk.. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, owenm said:

One dish I usually cook up weekly is home made spaghetti bolognese .. 

I use a can of Prego tomato, basil and garlic sauce as a base for 64thb, 500gms of premium mince pork, an onion, carrot, garlic, 2 red chillies, add some herbs such as bay leaf, mixed Italian herbs and thyme leaf, all herbs from Tops.. And Penne or Twisty pasta, and I usually get 5 meals at a cost of about 200bhat total.. Aroi muk.. 

 

 

Yep, spaghetti is always a winner.

 

So easy to make even the MIL can do it, although she uses pork mince to keep to keep the cost down. Calls it Khanom Jeen falang.

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Nyezhov said:
16 minutes ago, weegee said:

Heat them in an oven...Microwave kills them.

I dont have an oven

 

Well worth buying one.   Great for cooking different things, or even just good for reheating pizza.

https://www.lazada.co.th/catalog/?q=oven&_keyori=ss&from=input&spm=a2o4m.home.search.go.1125719csR9LIJ

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, blackhorse said:
19 minutes ago, weegee said:
Heat them in an oven...Microwave kills them.

I don't think I have ever seen an oven in any size condo here

 

Really?  I have friends with kitchens that have full sized ovens with 4 gas burners on top.   

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Really?  I have friends with kitchens that have full sized ovens with 4 gas burners on top.   

Your probably in the country though. I'm in bangkok surrounded by a zillion resteraunts.

Can't think of a single meal I would cook in an oven. Back home yes eg leg of lamb, beef roast..

I just use the Slow cooker, a stir frying pan and the microwave is great for fatty meat.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

I dont have an oven

 

Buy a Microwave that has it included...It's either an oven or a Mirowave, all in the same unit, that sits on any small benchtop.....Good for freshning up the Bread too...

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, blackhorse said:

Your probably in the country though. I'm in bangkok surrounded by a zillion resteraunts.

Can't think of a single meal I would cook in an oven. Back home yes eg leg of lamb, beef roast..

I just use the Slow cooker, a stir frying pan and the microwave is great for fatty meat.

 

I have a George Foreman

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Nyezhov said:

Funny..cooking is my hobby and I am a great cook, even under primitive circumstance. But cooking entails cleaning up. Nope. I have enough trouble keepin up with the bathroom.

Get a maid, or at least a girlfriend who can do more than spread her legs.

Link to post
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, smotherb said:

Get a maid, or at least a girlfriend who can do more than spread her legs.

Nawww...Im into this non woman gig for a while (except for rentals). MY gf at home just wore me out. IM too old.

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Nawww...Im into this non woman gig for a while (except for rentals). MY gf at home just wore me out. IM too old.

Well, you could volunteer to cook at a friend's house, but tell them up-front, you'll cook, but they clean.

Link to post
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, blackhorse said:

Your probably in the country though. I'm in bangkok surrounded by a zillion resteraunts.

Can't think of a single meal I would cook in an oven. Back home yes eg leg of lamb, beef roast..

I just use the Slow cooker, a stir frying pan and the microwave is great for fatty meat.

This morning I baked fresh croissants in the oven.  Lunch I baked a Mexican casserole with melted cheese on top.  Dinner I cooked an Italian sausage pizza with sourdough crust and baked a mixed fruit cobbler for dessert. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, smotherb said:

Well, you could volunteer to cook at a friend's house, but tell them up-front, you'll cook, but they clean.

Well I havent been here long enough to have anyone invite me over 😥

 

Too bad I do a fabulous Chicken Parm, stupendous meat balls and my Fav...Chili

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, marcusarelus said:

This morning I baked fresh croissants in the oven.  Lunch I baked a Mexican casserole with melted cheese on top.  Dinner I cooked an Italian sausage pizza with sourdough crust and baked a mixed fruit cobbler for dessert. 

Me... Knors Pork Joke, two oranges and Expresso for breakfast, Shrimp ShuMai and a Pork Bun with Salt Egg from the Fresh Mart Take out for lunch, dinner was fried chicken wings, sticky rice, and fresh fruit. And an Ice cream bar. I hate having 7-11 downstairs.

Link to post
Share on other sites

i got bored of rice last songkran,

i also dont feel like going to resturants,

(except kfc that does it in a minute)

best deal now is the meat and fried potatoes they make on big c,

just a shame this country are incapable of providing a nice sauce

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Nyezhov said:

Well I havent been here long enough to have anyone invite me over 😥

 

Too bad I do a fabulous Chicken Parm, stupendous meat balls and my Fav...Chili

Yeah. I can understand that. When people found out what a great cook the wife was, they all wanted an invite over. So much so they openly asked when they could come to dinner. Problem was most of them; not just a few, but most of them never reciprocated. I could understand if they simply could not cook a meal, but they didn't even bring a bottle of wine; as if somehow we owed them a free lunch.  We now only do dinners for close friends.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, poanoi said:

i got bored of rice last songkran,

i also dont feel like going to resturants,

(except kfc that does it in a minute)

best deal now is the meat and fried potatoes they make on big c,

just a shame this country are incapable of providing a nice sauce

Use these as a base and add whatever you like

sauce.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

I found a pie place at Swampie on the arrival halls level down by exit gate three and they seem to be a franchise.  It was called Pie Face but I cant remember where else they said they have branches.  I tried several of their small snack sized ones and they were damned tasty.  Apparently an Aussie outfit.  A huge variety of flavours and meats.  I am sure they must be in malls somewhere.  Have a look on the net. Type in Pie Face Thailand.  One branch is by BTS Prom Phong but they do not seem to have a simple list of branches.  You might have to register and log in to find one.  How DUMB can you get???

Pie Face, B/F, Emquartier, Sukhumvit Rd., Bangkok, Thailand
Phone: 02-269-1000
Area: Phrom Phong
Cuisine: Dessert
Open since: July, 2015
Opening hours: daily 10am-10pm
Link to post
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Use these as a base and add whatever you like

sauce.jpg

they do not have a good bearnaise sauce here,

its the only sauce i can accept, well pepper sauce if its nice is also ok, but i never saw an ok pepper sauce here

Link to post
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, poanoi said:

they do not have a good bearnaise sauce here,

its the only sauce i can accept, well pepper sauce if its nice is also ok, but i never saw an ok pepper sauce here

Use the Hollandaise as a base for the Bearnaise and the supreme roast meat for the pepper sauce.  If you don't go to restaurants at home where do you get Bearnaise sauce?  I'm assuming you make it at home so why not here? You can also get pepper sauce at Tops. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Use the Hollandaise as a base for the Bearnaise and the supreme roast meat for the pepper sauce.  If you don't go to restaurants at home where do you get Bearnaise sauce?  I'm assuming you make it at home so why not here? You can also get pepper sauce at Tops. 

a friend will bring in bearnaise supply from USA,

i used to buy bearnaise ready to eat, but the powder

that i had to add butter and water is also fine if its knorr brand.

i have tried so many sauces here and they invariably gets me depressed and upset,

last fail turned out to be some sort of ketchup heresy

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...