Trump's U.N. envoy Nikki Haley quits, denies 2020 ambitions

webfact

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

As a progressive democrat

I'm of the opinion that she wanted a career in politics, and knew that in South Carolina she stood a snowball's chance in hell to make it as a Democrat.  Hopefully she didn't tarnish herself too much in her association with El Naranjo. 

The handling of the Charleston shooting was exemplary IMO.  Can you see any of those good ol' boy southern pols doing the same? 

She probably will not cross over until DT is out of the way.  But I can see the fond appraisals he steeped upon her being used by her Dem opponents in primaries.

20 hours ago, wayned said:

I suspect that Jeff Sessions will be canned soon after the 2018 midterms.  Trump will then appoint Lindsey Graham as the new Attorney General and Haley will fill the vacant Senator seat in South Carolina.  She will then be groomed to run for president in the 2024 elections but always ready to step in in 22020 if something happens to trump.

The name being whispered is Matt Whitaker.

I think she is going to lay low for the next 2 years, in the same spirit as people like Flake, Ryan et al, then see what the election results are in 2020.  In his own party the man with the orange face is not liked, or admired, but he is feared.

6 hours ago, bendejo said:

I'm of the opinion that she wanted a career in politics, and knew that in South Carolina she stood a snowball's chance in hell to make it as a Democrat.  Hopefully she didn't tarnish herself too much in her association with El Naranjo. 

The handling of the Charleston shooting was exemplary IMO.  Can you see any of those good ol' boy southern pols doing the same? 

She probably will not cross over until DT is out of the way.  But I can see the fond appraisals he steeped upon her being used by her Dem opponents in primaries.

"El Naranjo", love it!:clap2:

Can I use it too, pleeeeeease?

6 hours ago, bendejo said:

Oh, thanks to Becker I bothered to look up El Naranjo.  Good one, especially with that wall nonsense.

19 minutes ago, bendejo said:

The name being whispered is Matt Whitaker.

I think she is going to lay low for the next 2 years, in the same spirit as people like Flake, Ryan et al, then see what the election results are in 2020.  In his own party the man with the orange face is not liked, or admired, but he is feared.

While Indian-American Haley is unlikely to leave the Republican party due to its historical political financial support, she does seem to fit ideologically in the Democrat party, ie., as a Madeleine Albright-styled conservative?

https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/the-complicated-history-of-nikki-haley

A Quinnipiac poll of 1,193 voters conducted in late April found 63% of respondents approved of the way Haley is handling her job in the Trump administration, including a majority of Democrats. And 55% of Democrats surveyed approved of Haley, the same percentage of Democrats that approved of Pelosi.  https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/nikki-haley-is-really-popular-even-among-democrats

39 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

A Quinnipiac poll of 1,193 voters conducted in late April found 63% of respondents approved of the way Haley is handling her job in the Trump administration, including a majority of Democrats.

Generally speaking, most Americans don't pay all that much attention to these things.  In 2016 Ted Cruz actually spoke of a strategy that makes use of that.  I would doubt that 40% of those polled even knew who the hell Nikki is.

She'll get slaughtered (politically) in the heartland.  They'll brand her as Muslim, and it doesn't matter if it's an alternative fact -- hey, in the US the 'flat earth' controversy is back!

57 minutes ago, Becker said:

"El Naranjo", love it!:clap2:

Here's the original Mr Orange, too cute of an image for you-know-who

nedicks1.jpg.81a3f9537c3247fe60252537e9ef0776.jpg

It was the logo for a popular food counter in NYC in days gone by, famous for it orange drink and hot dogs, which I think cost 15 cents for the combo.  Predates the infamous fast food chains.

10 minutes ago, bendejo said:

Here's the original Mr Orange, too cute of an image for you-know-who

nedicks1.jpg.81a3f9537c3247fe60252537e9ef0776.jpg

It was the logo for a popular food counter in NYC in days gone by, famous for it orange drink and hot dogs, which I think cost 15 cents for the combo.  Predates the infamous fast food chains.

Oh, my God!  I think - it's been a long time now - I have eaten there.  I think it was in Grand Central or nearby.  Not sure.  I just recall that seemingly odd combo that somehow worked for me.  Thanks for the memories!

And, I think if El Naranjo was like this place, Nikki Haley would be proud to represent his admin. longer.   

On 10/10/2018 at 7:14 AM, Opl said:

"“I think she understands that these are positions that will attract money from the Republican donor community, which responds very favorably to these hard-line positions on Israel and Iran,” Vajdich, the Republican foreign-policy expert, says. “This is a very useful piece of evidence that says she is very much gearing up for the future, and at least leaving her options open. What she does at the United Nations is clearly intended to be a resume-builder and a platform for what she does in the future.”

https://foreignpolicy.com/2018/03/09/candidate-nikki-haley-un-republican-tillerson/

In this day and age of 'me first' you are absolutely right.

Archived