Trump's U.N. envoy Nikki Haley quits, denies 2020 ambitions

webfact

Trump's U.N. envoy Nikki Haley quits, denies 2020 ambitions

By Roberta Rampton and Steve Holland

2018-10-09T144950Z_1_LYNXNPEE9817W_RTROPTP_4_USA-TRUMP-HALEY.JPG

U.S. President Donald Trump meets with U.N. Ambassador Nikki Haley in the Oval Office of the White House in Washington, U.S., October 9, 2018. REUTERS/Jonathan Ernst

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Nikki Haley announced on Tuesday she is resigning as the U.S. ambassador to the United Nations, but the rising Republican star immediately denied she was preparing to challenge President Donald Trump in the 2020 presidential election.

Sitting beside Trump in the Oval Office, Haley said her 18-month stint at the United Nations had been "an honour of a lifetime" and said she would stay on until the end of the year.

A former governor of South Carolina who is the daughter of Indian immigrants, Haley is the highest profile woman in Trump's Cabinet and is often seen as a possible presidential candidate.

But she said in her resignation letter to Trump she would "surely not be a candidate for any office in 2020" and would support his re-election bid.

She told reporters in the Oval Office on Tuesday: "No, I am not running for 2020."

Haley said she did not have any future plans set and did not give a reason for her unexpected departure, but Trump said she had told him some six months ago that she was thinking of leaving by the end the year "to take a little time off."

Haley's fast rise from a Southern state's legislature to the world stage suggests the 46-year-old may have greater political ambition.

Describing her U.N. tenure as "fantastic" and "incredible," Trump was effusive in his praise for Haley. He accepted her resignation and said he would name her successor within two or three weeks.

Trump later told reporters he would consider selecting former Goldman Sachs executive and White House adviser Dina Powell to replace Haley, and shot down speculation he would put his daughter Ivanka in the role.

Haley has been the face of Trump's "America First" policy at the United Nations, steering the U.S. withdrawal from several U.N. programs and ardently defending his hard-line policies against Iran and North Korea over their nuclear programs.

But Haley has also sometimes distanced herself from Trump.

HIGH PRAISE FROM TRUMP

"She has done an incredible job. She is a fantastic person, very importantly, but she also is somebody that gets it," Trump said on Tuesday. "She's done a fantastic job and we've done a fantastic job together."

Haley's name has come up as possible Republican running mate in the last two presidential elections and she could also become a U.S. senator if fellow South Carolina Republican Lindsey Graham takes up a job in the Trump administration, as is often speculated.

Trump suggested the two of them jointly announce Haley's departure in the Oval Office, an administration official said, noting that Haley was the only outgoing senior member of Trump’s administration to be feted in this way.

Returning the favour, Haley praised Trump and his family for their support.

She described Jared Kushner, Trump's son-in-law and aide, as "such a hidden genius that no one understands" for his work on renegotiating the NAFTA trade deal and preparing a long-awaited Middle East peace plan that has not yet been released.

The feel-good nature of her resignation was markedly different from other departures from the Trump Cabinet. Trump unceremoniously announced his firing of former secretary of state Rex Tillerson in March in a tweet.

Haley was seen by her counterparts at the United Nations as a voice of clarity in a U.S. administration that often gave off mixed signals on foreign policy, diplomats say.

But she has been overshadowed in recent months by the appointments of Trump loyalist Mike Pompeo as secretary of state and hawk John Bolton as White House national security adviser.

Pompeo has led policy on talks with North Korea, while Bolton has taken the lead on trying to implement Trump's hard line against Iran.

Senator Robert Menendez, the top Democrat on the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, called Haley's resignation "yet another sign of the Trump Administration's chaotic foreign policy."

"I am deeply concerned about the leadership vacuum she leaves and the national security impact of her departure at this time of continued disarray," Menendez said in a statement.

Haley is the latest in a long line of high-profile departures from the administration, such as that of Tillerson and Steve Bannon, Trump's chief strategist, who left in August 2017.

DOMESTIC CREDENTIALS

A convert to Christianity in her 20s after being raised a Sikh, Haley is popular with religious conservatives in the South.

Her status as a potential candidate for national high office was boosted in 2015 when she ordered the Confederate battle flag to be pulled down at South Carolina's state capitol grounds after a white supremacist gunman shot dead nine black worshippers at a church in Charleston.

Haley has also applauded women who come forward to denounce sexual abuse or misconduct by men and said they should be heard, even if they are accusing Trump.

"Women who accuse anyone should be heard," Haley said last December after accusations against three members of Congress. "They should be heard, and they should be dealt with."

Referring to women whose accusations brought down powerful men, like movie producer Harvey Weinstein, Haley said: "I'm proud of their strength. I'm proud of their courage."

Haley has long taken a tougher public stance on Russia than Trump, who has sought better relations with President Vladimir Putin.

Haley raised eyebrows within the administration when she announced in April that Washington was going to impose sanctions on Moscow over its support of Syria's government. Trump then decided not to go ahead with the move.

Haley fought against what she called anti-Israel bias at the United Nations, and sometimes seemed to be channelling Trump's abrasive style of diplomacy.

Last year, she upset U.S. allies and foes alike by warning that the United States would be "taking names" of countries that backed a U.N. resolution criticizing Trump's decision to recognise Jerusalem as Israel's capital.

Echoing previous statements from Trump, Haley said on Tuesday that the United States under his presidency is now respected around the world.

"Now the United States is respected. Countries may not like what we do, but they respect what we do. They know that if we say we're going to do something, we follow it through," she said.

(Reporting by Roberta Rampton and Steve Holland; additional reportng by Doina Chiacu, Makini Brice, Susan Heavey, Patricia Zengerle and Lisa Lambert in Washington and Michelle Nichols at the United Nations; Writing by Alistair Bell; editing by Mary Milliken, Jonathan Oatis and Grant McCool)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-10-10

Now there is a woman with big balls of steel not afraid to tell it as it is to the many hypocrites and self serving nations at the UN seats, countries who votes not out clear truth and conscious but what would appease that or other country and what's in it for me, her gusto style of policies delivery will be very much missed...

A report in an American news sight I read yesterday suggested that Ms Haley was being asked to explain several "free rides" in private jets that amounted to thousands of $s worth of savings on tickets that she recently received. The complaint was filed Monday. Coincidence?

"...A former governor of South Carolina who is the daughter of Indian immigrants, Haley is the highest profile woman in Trump's Cabinet and is often seen as a possible presidential candidate.

But she said in her resignation letter to Trump she would "surely not be a candidate for any office in 2020" and would support his re-election bid.

She told reporters in the Oval Office on Tuesday: "No, I am not running for 2020."

I believe her when she says that she is not running in 2020 (unless Trump drops out or dies), but I would bet my life savings that she will run for President one day. A woman, from the South, a woman of colour, a former Governor who served 2 terms, a former UN Ambassador, etc etc etc. EVERY politician, even if they run for a seat on the local library advisory board, dreams of becoming their country's leader; it is just the way it is.

She is smart as hell to get away from Trump now; she has gotten credentials and a new line on her resume, but as she was in NY and often said radically different things than Trump, she will likely escape the Trump tarnish that will haunt others.

When I speak about the 'Trump Tarnish' I am not just slagging off Trump (although I do loathe the man). I think the future for Trump staffers isn't going to be fun. Traditionally, having the White House on the resume was a GREAT thing as it was often seen as 'having served'. In the Trump era, people will be seen as "having beaten/screwed over the Left' rather than having served the country. In days past, a Bush staffer would have been hired by a Democrat (or a Clinton staffer by a Republican, etc.) as they "served". A Trump staffer, in these days of 'grievance' politics and 'winner take all/screw your opponent' matters, won't be hired by anyone other than Trumpites, and even then their numbers will dwindle rapidly as Trump won't be around for a long time.

I suspect that all those in the White House are in for a future shock. One hell of a future shock.

Sad that it comes to this as I think it is a good thing for people to serve, but...

1 hour ago, Lungstib said:

A report in an American news sight I read yesterday suggested that Ms Haley was being asked to explain several "free rides" in private jets that amounted to thousands of $s worth of savings on tickets that she recently received. The complaint was filed Monday. Coincidence?

Well if it was one of Trumps jet then it wasn't her that was getting the free ride.  :cheesy:

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Trump later told reporters he would consider selecting former Goldman Sachs executive and White House adviser Dina Powell to replace Haley,

Thank God!  Goldman Sachs and the big banks finally get a voice in the US govt.  :-)

3 hours ago, ezzra said:

Now there is a woman with big balls of steel not afraid to

jump before she has to answer questions to an ethics affairs committee about her free rides, which of course she will never feel obliged to pay back.

Next high paid job ?

Consultant to  Raytheon, Lockheed Martin,  General Dynamics or Northrop Grumman ?

Consultant to the US health care industry?

Consultant to US corporations detaining and seperating illegals at the border?

It certainly worked this way for many of Obama's former admin.

Is Haley dirty?  Most of these American high flyers are.

She's a woman of colour which makes her almost untouchable by the mainstream media.

If she's dirty she'll get away with it.

White middleaged hetero western men dont.

Nikki the contrarian who became another hypocrite in Trump's administration.

Before Trump won the POTUS election:

• Trump was "everything a governor doesn't want in a president."
  • “During anxious times, it can be tempting to follow the siren call of the angriest voices,”
  • We must resist that temptation. No one who is willing to work hard, abide by our laws, and love our traditions should ever feel unwelcome in this country.” 

https://thehill.com/opinion/white-house/410580-we-havent-seen-the-last-of-nikki-haley

She won't be missed.

You judge a person by the company he keeps. Haley, as a ugly-minded, warmongering, harpy did not reflect well on Trump. He has exercised extremely poor judgement in picking his ambassadors, cabinet and judges.

It is rumoured in some the alternative press, like zero hedge, that Haley has been caught accepting private plane rides and holidays from companies and other nations....as a federal employee this is illegal irrespective of whether it was a bribe or not. Federal employees are not legally able to accept any gift, meal, plane ride or anything of value....it is a clear red line. The article claims, either truthfully or  falsely that she resigned 'some time ago' to avoid the scandal. Her resignation letter is dated Oct 3rd, which could be classed by some people as 'some time ago'.

5 hours ago, Lungstib said:

It is absolutely illegal for any federal employee to accept anything of value from a company or other source to avoid any appearance of bribery.

7 hours ago, webfact said:

She described Jared Kushner, Trump's son-in-law and aide, as "such a hidden genius that no one understands" for his work on renegotiating the NAFTA trade deal and preparing a long-awaited Middle East peace plan that has not yet been released.

???????????? so now we know who rebranded NAFTA to USMCA.... putting “US” first in a brand was indeed genius, although arguably representing the most significant change in the agreement.

i can’t wait yo see this “genius” reflected in a ME peace plan

8 minutes ago, Pedrogaz said:

It is absolutely illegal for any federal employee to accept anything of value from a company or other source to avoid any appearance of bribery.

Not in trumps America, it isn’t.... he holds the pardon stick.

5 hours ago, ezzra said:

Now there is a woman with big balls of steel not afraid to tell it as it is to the many hypocrites and self serving nations at the UN seats, countries who votes not out clear truth and conscious but what would appease that or other country and what's in it for me, her gusto style of policies delivery will be very much missed...

She is as devious as a politician needs to be, that's all … " her gusto style…"

"I can't say enough good things about Jared and Ivanka," Haley said in the Oval Office about Kushner and the president's daughter. "Jared is such a hidden genius that no one understands." "Ivanka has been such a good friend" and that the couple "do a lot of things behind the scenes that I wish more people knew about, because we're a better country because they're in this administration."

https://www.newsweek.com/jared-kushner-hidden-genius-no-one-understands-nikki-haley-says-she-resigns-1160235

10_09_18_KushnerGenius

20 minutes ago, Pedrogaz said:

Federal employees may generally accept an unsolicited gift worth $20 or less from an outside source in most situations. But the Office of Government Ethics suggested that workers consider whether accepting the gift would question their integrity or impartiality.

• Whether the gift has a high market value.
  • Whether the timing of the gift creates the appearance that the donor wants to influence a specific government action.
  • Whether the gift-giver has interests that could be affected by the “performance or nonperformance of the employee’s official duties.”
  • Whether accepting the gift would give the donor “disproportionate access.”

https://federalnewsnetwork.com/agency-oversight/2016/11/new-guidance-accepting-gifts-pushes-feds-reach-higher-standard/

So not "absolutely illegal."

I suspect that Jeff Sessions will be canned soon after the 2018 midterms.  Trump will then appoint Lindsey Graham as the new Attorney General and Haley will fill the vacant Senator seat in South Carolina.  She will then be groomed to run for president in the 2024 elections but always ready to step in in 22020 if something happens to trump.

1 minute ago, wayned said:

I suspect that Jeff Sessions will be canned soon after the 2018 midterms.  Trump will then appoint Lindsey Graham as the new Attorney General and Haley will fill the vacant Senator seat in South Carolina.  She will then be groomed to run for president in the 2024 elections but always ready to step in in 22020 if something happens to trump.

Yes, that is the conventional wisdom goin' round. All pretty big moves, so unlikely to happen in that fashion.

2 minutes ago, lannarebirth said:

Regardless of what one may think of her, two things are pretty clear. Nikki Haley is pretty darn smart and a winner. If I was a Republican I'd embrace her, if I was a Democrat I think I'd be pretty worried about her.

"“I think she understands that these are positions that will attract money from the Republican donor community, which responds very favorably to these hard-line positions on Israel and Iran,” Vajdich, the Republican foreign-policy expert, says. “This is a very useful piece of evidence that says she is very much gearing up for the future, and at least leaving her options open. What she does at the United Nations is clearly intended to be a resume-builder and a platform for what she does in the future.”

https://foreignpolicy.com/2018/03/09/candidate-nikki-haley-un-republican-tillerson/

We're seeking employment
We're ready and strong
Knockin' 'em down in the city

And I don't care what your name is
I'm only here to knock 'em down
Are you ready
Are you ready to knock 'em down
Songwriters: Iggy Pop

:biggrin: ..... Only question is what took so long.  

3 hours ago, Srikcir said:

Nikki the contrarian who became another hypocrite in Trump's administration.

Before Trump won the POTUS election:

• Trump was "everything a governor doesn't want in a president."
  • “During anxious times, it can be tempting to follow the siren call of the angriest voices,”
  • We must resist that temptation. No one who is willing to work hard, abide by our laws, and love our traditions should ever feel unwelcome in this country.” 

https://thehill.com/opinion/white-house/410580-we-havent-seen-the-last-of-nikki-haley

She won't be missed.

HIGH PRAISE FROM TRUMP

"She has done an incredible job. She is a fantastic person, very importantly, but she also is somebody that gets it," Trump said on Tuesday. "She's done a fantastic job and we've done a fantastic job together."

One of the few times Trump didn't lie.

„Incredible“ contains 2 (Latin) words

in = not

+

credible = trustworthy

Translate Trump's words: She has done a not trustworthy job. That confirms what you told us about her slimy words.

.......She described Jared Kushner, Trump's son-in-law and aide, as "such a hidden genius that no one understands" for his work on renegotiating the NAFTA trade deal and preparing a long-awaited Middle East peace plan that has not yet been released ............

Nikki blowing smoke up El Naranjo's arse like a steam locomotive, and of course nothing but praise for members of The Posse.  Very shrewd player: she didn't actually campaign for him, just didn't bash him like Mitt and Mitch did.  Same with ol' Jeffro Sessions.

Maybe her departure had something to do with her boss being openly laughed at, impossible to not see what the world really thinks of him, and knowing that her colleagues think less of her for it.

Sorry folks, but I don't see a brown woman first-generation American making it as a GOP presidential candidate.  Maybe for show in the primaries, "see? we're not all white men!" and big applause at the convention.  As if more than a small percentage of rural Americans know the difference between a Muslim and a Sikh.  I wouldn't be surprised to hear some rabid right-winger telling the rabble that there is no difference.

But of course we know she is not a social conservative, can you see her dumping on women's issues and taking a racist stance?  I think she handled the church shootings and the aftermath impressively, and maybe that showed a bit of who she really is; it may have cost her a load of the Billy Bob votes, but I think the black folks in SC trust her because not only is she dark, she has a big butt ????

The important 'but' is she needs to come over from The Dark Side.

[HIGH PRAISE FROM TRUMP

"She has done an incredible job. She is a fantastic person, very importantly, but she also is somebody that gets it," Trump said on Tuesday. "She's done a fantastic job and we've done a fantastic job together."]

A high praise from just about anyone else might actually mean something.  From Trump?  Nada.  It just means the person supports Trump.  Because he only praises people who supports him.  They can be criminal dirtbags who've accomplished nothing and he'll heap high praise on them.  From Manafort, to Flynn, to Ailes, To Roy Moore, O'Reilly, Nunes, Hannity, Kim Jong Un, Putin, and of course Kavanaugh.  But the flattery ends the minute any of these dudes criticize Trump (or "flip").  Trump just lies constantly, even when he's complementing someone. 

Archived