Video: Train? What Train? Oh... that train!

webfact

Video: Train? What Train? Oh... that train!

1PM_V.jpg

Picture: Daily News

Footage from the driver's cab of a Bangkok train showed the moment when a man crossed the tracks near Hua Mark station. 

Despite a loud warning signal the man seems oblivious to the danger - until it is almost too late. 

The State Railways said: "Take care when crossing the tracks - you might not be so lucky".

The video, taken Tuesday morning at a crossing, was posted on Facebook on the name Jakkapan Sukkammee. 

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-10-10

• Confused 1

This area is well known crossing for local residents to get to the ARL. I see incidents like this every day. Kids and adults running across the tracks as a train is approaching. Total lack of self preservation while looking at their cell phones.

• Sad 1

On any given day between the roads and other modes of transport, there probably are at least a few thousand folks per day queuing up for a Darwin Award.  Some, like this guy, are lucky and don't even get a consolation prize. 

Edited by connda

Where I live in Hua Hin, there are two nearby railway crossings, each with automatic gates.  Driving down the road one day, with the gates open, I was about to cross the lines when the right hand gate fell down just missing my car.  On a few occasions, the gates close when a train is coming but then refuse to go up again, causing motorists and motor cyclists eventually to zig-zag across, after a visual inspection of the track.

On the second crossing, at first one of the long arms snapped in two, blocking part of the crossing.  After several attempts at repair (presumably involving scotchtape), the arms were eventually replaced.  The new arms occasionally fail to go back up after the train has passed, again resulting in zig-zagging but this morning we approached this crossing when a train shot by at its top speed (of around 50 mph) with the gates wide open for vehicles.

No wonder so many people get killed on these crossings and even more so on ungated crossings and I hesitate even to imagine what will happen if ever (sorry, when) the high speed trains arrive.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, connda said:

On any given day between the roads and other modes of transport, there probably are at least a few thousand folks per day queuing up for a Darwin Award.  Some, like this guy, are lucky and don't even get a consolation prize. 

Maybe a laundry bill as a consolation prize.

8 hours ago, mok199 said:

As a locomotive engineer and conductor for 35 years, the worst sound in know is the thump when your engine hits a person,I exerienced it twice ,one survived@ 20 MPH ( barely) the other did not @ 55 MPH ( SUICIDE) ...YOU WONT WIN ,and the train crew must live with that memory.

They should build a foam bullbar on the loc's so the drivers won't hear it.

Last week a kindergarten nanny in Holland drover her electric cart with 8-10 kids inside through town..she had to stop for the railwaycrossing but the cart wouldn't stop so she drove that thing under the train....big big tragedy of course.

Today i read that holland will close ALL open railway crossings....they're just too dangerous but the accident happened on a controlled crossing with barriers.

2 hours ago, Retiredandhappyhere said:

Where I live in Hua Hin, there are two nearby railway crossings, each with automatic gates.  Driving down the road one day, with the gates open, I was about to cross the lines when the right hand gate fell down just missing my car.  On a few occasions, the gates close when a train is coming but then refuse to go up again, causing motorists and motor cyclists eventually to zig-zag across, after a visual inspection of the track.

On the second crossing, at first one of the long arms snapped in two, blocking part of the crossing.  After several attempts at repair (presumably involving scotchtape), the arms were eventually replaced.  The new arms occasionally fail to go back up after the train has passed, again resulting in zig-zagging but this morning we approached this crossing when a train shot by at its top speed (of around 50 mph) with the gates wide open for vehicles.

No wonder so many people get killed on these crossings and even more so on ungated crossings and I hesitate even to imagine what will happen if ever (sorry, when) the high speed trains arrive.

I've come across this in HH.  The most ridiculous is the sign with the amber light just as you approach.  The sign says in Thai that if the light is out then it means the barriers are not working!!  At night????!!!!

• Haha 1