Acting U.S. EPA head liked 'racist' photo of Obamas - report

webfact

Acting U.S. EPA head liked 'racist' photo of Obamas - report

2018-10-09T224528Z_1_LYNXNPEE981UO_RTROPTP_4_USA-TRUMP-INAUGURATION-OBAMA.JPG

Former president Barack Obama waves with his wife Michelle as they board Special Air Mission 28000, a Boeing 747 which serves as Air Force One, at Joint Base Andrews, Maryland, U.S. January 20, 2017. REUTERS/Brendan McDermid

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The acting head of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency liked a controversial Facebook photo five years ago of then-President Barack Obama that a civil rights group called racist, the Huffington Post reported on Tuesday.

Andrew Wheeler, a longtime Washington insider, has kept a low profile compared to Scott Pruitt, who was forced to resign as head of the EPA in July under a cloud of ethics allegations including that he made staff search hotels for special skin lotion.

In January 2013, when Wheeler was a lobbyist for Murray Energy, a privately owned coal company, he liked an image on Facebook of former President Barack Obama and his wife Michelle that depicted them staring at a banana, said the report, which listed other social media activity by Wheeler that critics said was inappropriate.

Heidi Beirich, the head of the intelligence project at the Southern Poverty Law Center, a civil rights group, called the image of the Obamas "blatantly racist." She said the people Wheeler interacted with "are just not folks a legitimate person should have anything to do with."

Wheeler defended his social media use in a statement. "Over the years, I have been a prolific social media user and liked and inadvertently liked countless social media posts," he said. "Specifically, I do not remember the post depicting President Obama and the First Lady. As for some of the other posts, I agreed with the content and was unaware of the sources."

The report relied on posts uncovered by American Bridge 21st Century, a Democratic political action committee.

In September, Wheeler on his personal Twitter account liked a tweet by a conservative documentary filmmaker Dinesh D'Souza that cast doubt over Christine Blasey Ford's sexual assault allegations against recently confirmed Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh, who had denied the allegations.

Later that month Wheeler liked a tweet from an editor at the website InfoWars that blamed Twitter's temporary suspension of actor James Woods on discrimination against conservative views.

(Reporting by Timothy Gardner; Editing by Cynthia Osterman)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-10-10

6 minutes ago, DoctorG said:

Pity the poor people with nothing better to do than to hunt through the net looking for things to be "outraged" about.

Seems a lot like the 1600's Puritan hunt for witches.

Talk about a puritan hunt coming from the right? That's rich.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

What do you really expect from the racist "trump" hot mess of a so called presidency? Expect the worse and then it will be even lower than that.

The latest example of a Trump adviser going bananas

But it is depressing that Trump and his Republican allies believe they can hold back a blue wave only by redoubling efforts to make supporters fear that women and minorities threaten “America’s true heritage.”

My colleague Max Boot, in his new book, “The Corrosion of Conservatism: Why I Left the Right,” writes that “coded racial appeals had at least as much, if not more, to do with the electoral success of the modern Republican Party than all of the domestic and foreign policy proposals crafted by well-intentioned analysts like me.”

Now it’s no longer coded. Trump might just as well wave a banana.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/the-trump-administration-is-back-to-its-racist-monkey-business/2018/10/10/59d635d6-ccd0-11e8-a3e6-44daa3d35ede_story.html

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, soistalker said:

It appears that the African, European, and Asian brain are all the same size. 

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.” 

That is not correct anymore after the man-child convinced his base supporters to disregard what they see and read and just believe his words.

Now facts can also be "facts".

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Why is it that everything seems to be turned into a racist comment nowadays. I am obviously getting too old for all this "politically correct", "mind what you say, it may offend" Society. Some of my best friends in the early 70's were Black, or Brown. We took the mickey out of each other with equal abandon, and NO-One took offence. Is it that maybe racism is a tool to be used for political advantage, or to stir hatred. Can someone explain to me how a coloured musician in America for instance can call another coloured person Nigger, yet if I did it then it would be racist. Why is there Black music awards, but you cannot have white music awards as that is racist. Surely music is an expression of self regardless of colour, race or religion. Why is there a Miss Black America, but no Miss White America. The list goes on. I am not trying to stir any controversy, I am simply tired of humanities seemingly growing intolerance of each other. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, AhFarangJa said:

Firstly i never mentioned Homosexuality, live and let live....Secondly, you seem to be such a balanced individual with chips on both shoulders. finally, you are the epitome of what I am talking about, It seems you cannot mention anything now without someone jumping down your throat and judging. You know nothing of me, my past, my life, yet you find it in yourself to ram your ideals down MY throat.....I sincerely hope I never have the poor fortune to meet you in person as you appear to be full of vitriol and of intolerance......Finally......you are not black by any chance are you.....

You may disagree with it, but I thought his reply was well balanced.

With your final sentence you proof him correct.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, AhFarangJa said:

Firstly i never mentioned Homosexuality, live and let live....Secondly, you seem to be such a balanced individual with chips on both shoulders. finally, you are the epitome of what I am talking about, It seems you cannot mention anything now without someone jumping down your throat and judging. You know nothing of me, my past, my life, yet you find it in yourself to ram your ideals down MY throat.....I sincerely hope I never have the poor fortune to meet you in person as you appear to be the epitome of intolerance......Finally......you are not black by any chance are you.....

Forget it man these people are so blind to their own intolerance and hatred it's jaw dropping. 

Just search the YouTube's to see what they really think of colored people often pushing them around at rallies, preventing them from attending events, getting them fired from their jobs and trying to stiffle them from speaking their mind should they not toe the liberal line. Funnily enough most of them are white! Lol When you hate yourself you love nobody.

Weird coming from people who claim so loudly to be for minorities huh? 

Edited by underlordcthulhu
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, AhFarangJa said:

Firstly i never mentioned Homosexuality, live and let live....Secondly, you seem to be such a balanced individual with chips on both shoulders. finally, you are the epitome of what I am talking about, It seems you cannot mention anything now without someone jumping down your throat and judging. You know nothing of me, my past, my life, yet you find it in yourself to ram your ideals down MY throat.....I sincerely hope I never have the poor fortune to meet you in person as you appear to be full of vitriol and of intolerance......Finally......you are not black by any chance are you.....

Interesting you assume that- I wonder why!

But, no...I am actually white!

Also interesting, that you talk about intolerance!

After all, you only want to call a nigger a nigger!

And what is wrong with that, huh?

:coffee1:

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, AhFarangJa said:

Double post

Edited by DM07

28 minutes ago, DM07 said:

Interesting you assume that- I wonder why!

But, no...I am actually white!

Also interesting, that you talk about intolerance!

After all, you only want to call a nigger a nigger!

And what is wrong with that, huh?

:coffee1:

Please do not twist my words to suit your personal agenda, I never said I wanted to call anyone names, I simply said if I did it would be construed as racism, whereas if a Coloured person did it then it would not. 

We are obviously poles apart on these subjects, and I have far better things to do with my time, so I bid you good-day and wish you well.