Swedish "paramotor" pilot faces charges after accident in Chiang Mai

webfact

Swedish "paramotor" pilot faces charges after accident in Chiang Mai

3PM_V.jpg

Picture: Chiang Mai News

The Swedish pilot of a powered paraglider or paramotor has been charged with negligence after flying a South Korean tourist into a tree.

The 53 year old Swede broke both legs and is in Nakorn Ping Hospital. 

It has also been discovered that he had no licence and no insurance. 

The South Korean is in ICU in a critical condition and still unable to give evidence. 

The paramotor collided with a tree by a football pitch at the Ratchaphat Chiang Mai university in Mae Rim on Monday. 

Police found blood, discarded shoes and a destroyed paramotor at the scene - the victims had already been taken to hospital. 

Provincial police chief Piyaphan Phatrapong was at Mae Rim police station yesterday evening following up on the case. 

The Korean is believed to have had insurance from their home country. 

The Swede has been charged with negligence causing severe injury. Other charges may follow. 

Source: Chiang Mai News

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-10-10

People come from all the world to partake in extreme sports where in their respective country they will need certification and insurance here in Thailand each man to himself and do whatever you like mentality, and when they get busted they start 'go fund me' campaign to pay for their hospital bills,

also, that poor Korean will not be eligible for insurance compensation as he took part in extreme activities and that no insurance in world would cove unless you pay extra premiums for that...

3 hours ago, ezzra said:

People come from all the world to partake in extreme sports where in their respective country they will need certification and insurance here in Thailand each man to himself and do whatever you like mentality, and when they get busted they start 'go fund me' campaign to pay for their hospital bills,

also, that poor Korean will not be eligible for insurance compensation as he took part in extreme activities and that no insurance in world would cove unless you pay extra premiums for that...

Not very extreme premiums if you add adventurous sports like scuba diving , paragliding etc etc to your travel insurance.

Maybe 10 dollar more on a 2 week holiday.

I always take the extra option.

Cheers

2 hours ago, bluesofa said:

I didn't know Koreans could fly? Do they have retractable wings?

Maybe you couldn't fly a Korean, but I once flew my Korean wing into a tree.

http://gingliders.com/

Great Korean gear... Gin Gliders was formed in 1998 by paraglider designer and competition pilot Gin Seok Song.

Feel sorry for both, but it's a real shame that the pilot was flying customers around without insurance.
Wish the injured a good recovery.
Customers ? Do you mean he actuallh earn money on this in Thailand? He would need a work permit and I doubt that very much. The Swede is in big trouble whatever happens.

5 hours ago, terminatorchiangmai said:

Not very extreme premiums if you add adventurous sports like scuba diving , paragliding etc etc to your travel insurance.

Maybe 10 dollar more on a 2 week holiday.

I always take the extra option.Cheers

I dont thinki that anyy insurance would cover tghis 

(sorry about the spelling , cant change it)

2 minutes ago, balo said:
8 hours ago, mauGR1 said:
Feel sorry for both, but it's a real shame that the pilot was flying customers around without insurance.

Customers ? Do you mean he actuallh earn money on this in Thailand? He would need a work permit and I doubt that very much. The Swede is in big trouble whatever happens.

You are right, balo, i re-read the OP, and there is no mention of the Swedish guy doing it as a job.

Thanks for correcting my wrong assumption.

On 10/10/2018 at 8:29 AM, mauGR1 said:

Presuming he is a certified pilot with a commercial licence to carry passengers..

or is he just a hobby flyer taking private passengers on a flight/joyride to make some money..

no licence, no insurance deep trouble !!

2 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Presuming he is a certified pilot with a commercial licence to carry passengers..

or is he just a hobby flyer taking private passengers on a flight/joyride to make some money..

no licence, no insurance deep trouble !!

Actually my wrong assumption, there is no mention of him doing it as a job.

Hobby flyer seems most likely.

I paraglide. Not using a motor but launching of a hillside and thermaling. It is not a safe sport but a sport that you can minimize the risks by making good decisions. Unfortunately, the Korean man has no understanding that it really is quite dangerous. Good sound decisions can minimize risk but not eliminate all risk. Pay your money, take your chances. 

Flown out of the small airfield in Pattaya in small two seater. Pilot from NY licensed  and been here awhile married to a Thai lady. Checked a couple years ago and he’s retired from flying.

There’s a flying club out there with a number of legally licensed pilot. Great fun flying around the city at lower altitude with regulations. 

Hope the Swede was licensed and legitimate if for profit. If not some serious issues both for flying and medical expenses. 

On 10/9/2018 at 9:29 PM, mauGR1 said:

He would have been uninsurable. An aviation insurer would require;

- pilot's license or other license that allows for the activity;

- certification of the aircraft, even if a paraglider

- would most definitely have excluded commercial activity.

The Swede knew what he was doing was  both illegal and morally wrong.

He deserves to be charged with multiple criminal offences, including working  illegally.

8 minutes ago, geriatrickid said:

He would have been uninsurable. An aviation insurer would require;

- pilot's license or other license that allows for the activity;

- certification of the aircraft, even if a paraglider

- would most definitely have excluded commercial activity.

The Swede knew what he was doing was  both illegal and morally wrong.

He deserves to be charged with multiple criminal offences, including working  illegally.

As other posters noted, there was no mention in the OP of the Swede doing it for money, perhaps his passenger was just a friend.

Agree with the rest though, flying an aircraft without insurance is totally irresponsible.

Archived