Marriage Extension, expiring passport, income letter

10 minutes ago, safarimike11 said:

Regarding the 400k Thai Baht on deposit, if you don't have that figure in a single bank account for 3 months when you go for your renewal, but you have had (a total of at least) 400k on deposit for at least 3 months in a combination of other Thai bank accounts (and the total figure has not dropped below the magic 400 k mark - and can provide proof of this), it may well be accepted.

The 400k baht only has to be in the bank for 2 month for an extension based upon marriage.

More than one account will be accepted as long they are in your name only. You would need a letter from the bank for each account. Plus updated bank books.

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

The 400k baht only has to be in the bank for 2 month for an extension based upon marriage.

More than one account will be accepted as long they are in your name only. You would need a letter from the bank for each account. Plus updated bank books.

Hi joe

Personally im going to wait and see for a while before i make any rash decisions, i could gothe 400k route if required but was thinking presumably i could go back to a yearly multi non o based on marriage at savannaket yes?

11 minutes ago, Black arab said:

Personally im going to wait and see for a while before i make any rash decisions, i could gothe 400k route if required but was thinking presumably i could go back to a yearly multi non o based on marriage at savannaket yes?

Best to wait and see what happens. 

You could still get a multiple entry non-0 visa.

6 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

There is more to it than getting a simple notary stamp.

A person has to sign the income affidavit in front of a consular officer and swear that it is true and correct. It is criminal offense to make a false statement to a officer.

I stand corrected.   

23 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Looks good for you, but not for me in Krungsri as I pointed in #21 above.

I used to bank exclusively with KrungSri. Every time I transferred money from UK there was 1050 THB deducted from the amount sent. I found out that the transfer goes via Bangkok Bank (500THB charge) who transfer it to Krung Sri (550THB charge). So I opened an account with BB and had my transfers paid into the BB account (500 THB). Internet transfer to KS bank (40 THB). Saving 510 THB on every transfer. I can print satements from BB internet banking showing the international transfers and KS bank book shows the money being transferred. It sounds complicated but it works very well.

On 10/10/2018 at 11:18 AM, ubonjoe said:

Immigration would no require you to show 12 months of bank deposits since you are only proving the income you have on the date you apply. At the most they would want to see 3 months of transfers into your account.

That is a question of interpretation. Currently if you do extension just on income they just require the letter which shows an annual amount and a monthly amount and they convert the monthly to a baht income. If you do the combination they convert the annual figure and add the supporting bank balance. In a combination scenario it will be difficult to see how they can establish an annual amount based on 3 months transfers.

I just did it 2 days ago and the IO initially said not enough money, she had only read the income letter without looking at the attached bank statement.

6 minutes ago, sandyf said:

That is a question of interpretation.

It really depends upon the situation. You should of read the posts I was replying to.

9 minutes ago, sandyf said:

If you do the combination they convert the annual figure and add the supporting bank balance. In a combination scenario it will be difficult to see how they can establish an annual amount based on 3 months transfers.

The topic is about extensions based upon marriage which has no combination option. Based upon marriage you would only need to show 3 months if the average income shown for the 3 months was 40k baht or more.

If a person was applying for their first extension it might be impossible to show the income for longer than 2 or 3 months if they had just started receiving pension payments.

Using the combination option you need to show a total of 800k baht of annual income and money in the bank. Your bank letter would have to show enough in the bank to make up the difference between your annual income and the required 780k plus and the extra 20k baht to reach the 800k baht number.

8 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

It really depends upon the situation. You should of read the posts I was replying to.

The topic is about extensions based upon marriage which has no combination option. Based upon marriage you would only need to show 3 months if the average income shown for the 3 months was 40k baht or more.

If a person was applying for their first extension it might be impossible to show the income for longer than 2 or 3 months if they had just started receiving pension payments.

Using the combination option you need to show a total of 800k baht of annual income and money in the bank. Your bank letter would have to show enough in the bank to make up the difference between your annual income and the required 780k plus and the extra 20k baht to reach the 800k baht number.

The topic may well be about marriage but it is unlikely that immigration will have different ways of determining income. The combination requires an annual basis and that may determine how they handle both marriage and retirement.

"Based upon marriage you would only need to show 3 months if the average income shown for the 3 months was 40k baht or more."

Is that the actual requirement and what other countries provide? Currently the UK have to provide average over 12 months for marriage, no different from retirement.

At this point in time it is all a bit speculative how they will deal with it going forward.

On 10/11/2018 at 2:31 PM, ubonjoe said:

Yes, 3 months for initial.

On ‎10‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 1:36 PM, richiejom said:

I started this below, is it worth petitioning parliament?  https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/230120/sponsors/new?token=DK30K4e4lQKtLa3JO0h8

It needs 5 people to sign to go live 'Reinstate Pension/Income Proof Letter at Bangkok UK Embassy'

petition.png

Reinstate Pension/Income Letters at Bangkok British Embassy

As of the 12th of December 2018 British Citizens can no longer request a proof of income letter required to obtain a Retirement or Extension based on Marriage visa in Thailand

Other Countries Embassy's have an option to sign an affidavit that your income is true.   

The British Embassy has stated that this is because the Thai Immigration require proof that they cannot provide yet the current income letter already covers the embassy legally.  

The British Embassy has left us to resolve this with Thai immigration

The Thai immigration has not made any announcement and still requests the letter. Failing this retired or married Brits may be forced to transfer between £9-18,000 to a Thai bank as proof

Pointless!

I don't think you've understood the problem.

Thai Immigration have requested that the British Embassy 'verify' the proof of source and content of the letters we send them to acquire the Income Letter.

Other than the Government state pension (which alone doesn't meet any financial requirement) they cannot verify letters from Company or Private pensions schemes or bank statements downloaded from the internet.

The Data Protection Act prevents your Pension providers from disclosing any information about your person, or details to any third party, including any government department.

The British Government cannot comply with Thai Immigrations request due to the law.

• Like 1

On 10/10/2018 at 11:18 AM, ubonjoe said:

Immigration would no require you to show 12 months of bank deposits since you are only proving the income you have on the date you apply. At the most they would want to see 3 months of transfers into your account.

The 400k baht only has to be in the bank for 2 months for every extension based upon marriage. The 60 days and 3 months is only for retirement extensions.

Hi Ubonjoe,

The articles on the new action by the British Embassy continue to say that marriage extensions require funds to be available for 3 months for marriage extensions. This statement is being made again and again by the Thai Visa News service. You can see for yourself in today's article:

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/1062320-yet-more-confusion-over-the-removal-of-income-certification-letter-for-british-expats/

Can you please clarify what is true:

1. Is this just a continuing mistake by Thai Visa's news editors?

2. Does this only apply to the first extension and not subsequent extensions?

3. Is there any clear ruling by the Immigration Department that specifically lists this requirement?

Also, can you please contact the Thai Visa News editors and ask them to stop confusing us over this requirement?

I really need to know. Is it 2 months or 3 months. It makes a big difference.

Thanks.

13 minutes ago, Monomial said:

The articles on the new action by the British Embassy continue to say that marriage extensions require funds to be available for 3 months for marriage extensions.

That is what the UK embassy is saying. It is their error.

1. Is this just a continuing mistake by Thai Visa's news editors?

2. Does this only apply to the first extension and not subsequent extensions?

3. Is there any clear ruling by the Immigration Department that specifically lists this requirement?

1. No

They only post what the source has stated.

2. It is 2 months for every extension of stay application based upon marriage.

3. From clause 2.18 of police order 327/2557 (2014) for extensions of stay.

(6) In the case of marriage to a Thai woman, the alien husband must earn an average annual income of no less than Baht 40,000 per month or must have no less than Baht 400,000 in a bank account in Thailand for the past two months to cover expenses for one year.

Also, can you please contact the Thai Visa News editors and ask them to stop confusing us over this requirement?

See number one above. You should contact the UK embassy about it,

• Thanks 1

On 10/10/2018 at 5:54 PM, JackThompson said:

My Bangkok Bank bank-book shows the transfers as foreign.  But, these do not update as far back in time as they used to, so one needs to update it regularly.  One can get a detailed printout of transfers at the bank, showing original currency amount, etc.

I think the reason why my statements just show auto is because I send money from my UK account to Bangkok bank London branch for free who then post it using their published exchange rate on the day to my BB Thai account. They do deduct a £10 fee at the London end. You don't need a BB London account to do this, just a BB Thai account.

4 hours ago, Kalasin Jo said:

I think the reason why my statements just show auto is because I send money from my UK account to Bangkok bank London branch for free who then post it using their published exchange rate on the day to my BB Thai account. They do deduct a £10 fee at the London end. You don't need a BB London account to do this, just a BB Thai account.

I have the same arrangement - but sending to the NYC branch, and get the "FTT".  Go figure.