Jump to content

Govt Mulls First Bangkok Underground Expressway


webfact

Recommended Posts

Govt Mulls First Bangkok Underground Expressway

By Jintamas Saksornchai, Staff Reporter

 

p0106011059p1-696x424.jpg

Traffic at the Mahaisawan Intersection underpass in Bangkok.

 

BANGKOK — Transport officials Tuesday said they’re considering building the country’s first underground expressway to solve traffic jams in the capital.

 

The plan from Transport and Traffic Policy Plan Office said the roadway would be 9 kilometers long, starting from Naradhiwat Rajanagarindra road in central Bangkok to Sam Rong district in Samut Prakan province.

 

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/transpo/2018/10/10/govt-mulls-first-bangkok-underground-expressway/

 
khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2018-10-10
Link to post
Share on other sites

Just wondering, what will happen to all of the hot air produced underground?  Will it get sent to join that above ground created by those making such unplanned projects?  The reason for asking is because, "After the junta leader ordered a way be found to urgently solve the chronic traffic jams, Transport Minister Arkhom Termpittayapaisith said more underground roads in Bangkok could follow, as space on and over the ground may be scarce."  The latter part of the minister's statement is rather redundant because everybody in Bangkok should be aware there is a little room for road expansion on the surface and that the expressways and tollways look as if somebody dropped a bowl of spaghetti on the table and used the resulting mess as a blueprint for the design of what now exists.

 

'nuf sed

Link to post
Share on other sites

If they needed like 10 years for the Pattaya Sukhumvit "tunnel" what is only like 400m long, I wonder how a few kilometers long underground highway in BKK will take...

Link to post
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, webfact said:

The plan from Transport and Traffic Policy Plan Office said the roadway would be 9 kilometers long

...and given the way Thais drive, it will be clogged most days by horrific mid-tunnel accidents and essentially rendered useless other than a way to cull the population.

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, kotsak said:

God forbid there is a fire.. I'll stick to the surface/elevated roads.

 

God forbid if there is rain.  Remember the lady who drowned in a underpass?  Multiply that by a few thousand.  How many design engineers, road planners, and security guards would have to be thrown in jail to make that right?
I'm with you on the surface/elevated roads. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, wotsdermatter said:

Just wondering, what will happen to all of the hot air produced underground?  Will it get sent to join that above ground created by those making such unplanned projects?  The reason for asking is because, "After the junta leader ordered a way be found to urgently solve the chronic traffic jams, Transport Minister Arkhom Termpittayapaisith said more underground roads in Bangkok could follow, as space on and over the ground may be scarce."  The latter part of the minister's statement is rather redundant because everybody in Bangkok should be aware there is a little room for road expansion on the surface and that the expressways and tollways look as if somebody dropped a bowl of spaghetti on the table and used the resulting mess as a blueprint for the design of what now exists.

 

'nuf sed

You mean the government of the day has built all the expressways and surface roads?

Really?

Link to post
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, canardo said:

If they needed like 10 years for the Pattaya Sukhumvit "tunnel" what is only like 400m long, I wonder how a few kilometers long underground highway in BKK will take...

Are you counting from when they actually first proposed it as it never took anywhere near 10.

I cannot be bothered to check it out but from start to finish it was pretty much on schedule which was 3/4 years from memory.

Oh and it works well :thumbsup:

 

Whether it made economic sense is probably a different story........

Link to post
Share on other sites

The Mont Blanc tunnel at just over 11 kms took nearly 8 yrs to complete and while modern techniques and machinery will reduce that time , tunnelling like you need to create roadways beneath big cities can present huge obstacles to overcome as Crossrail found during the excavations for the new Elizabeth underground line across London .. The number of vertical shafts sunk for introducing the boring machines that they'll need if they wanna get it done quickly being one ..

Link to post
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, webfact said:

Govt Mulls First Bangkok Underground Expressway

Another wet dream like high speed trains and economic corridors. The underground tunnel will end up being an underground canal for ferry boats. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...