Gov.uk Petition - Reinstate Pension / Income Letter

1 hour ago, richiejom said:

How about the British Embassy responded to the Thai Immigration saying we can't do as you requested but if you want we will stop issuing our current letters?   (the latter is something Thai immigration did not ask for)

What is the point in taking our money and issuing a letter that is not going to be accepted by immigration?

Immigration are asking embassies to verify the income and confirm, in writing, they’ve done so.

Immigration have moved the goal posts.

2 hours ago, OJAS said:

Because they alone out of all the embassies in Bangkok have decided in their infinite widsom to cease their income confirmation service in advance of any Immigration Bureau announcement regarding alternative verification procedures! I hold them entirely responsible for all the alarm which their ridiculous decision is causing among the local British expat community.

So far!

You are getting angry at the wrong people. And, as I’ve pointed out, the action by the British embassy could force immigration to back track or find a solution. 

Just now, elviajero said:

So far!

You are getting angry at the wrong people. And, as I’ve pointed out, the action by the British embassy could force immigration to back track or find a solution. 

And you just dont see it I guess. This can be the highway for the immigration people to start to earn the BIG money now. Big road that leads directly to controlled agents charging beuriful fees.. England can in worst case scenario have created a disaster for all other nations... It is just so damn stupid acting....

glegolo

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, glegolo said:

Not only the british community, you are not alone in this world you know. Your embassy have caused a huge lot of alarm in every one of the other expat communities as well...

And with this nonsens, with bad luck, maybe even some immigration-officer may see their chance to create som shit for all of us,. maybe thanks to this Thailand will change the existing rules and laws, who knows...

glegolo

Our misfortune is probably your good luck - insofar as the shit storm stirred up by the Brit. Embassy's lone announcement will hopefully make other Embassies think twice before getting involved in 'the game'....

The American Embassy and FO in particular are likely to be particularly annoyed at the announcement by the Brit. Embassy that they were about to follow suit - and (I've no doubt) made many 'harsh' comments to the Brit. Embassy/FO at their presumption ????.

With a bit of luck, members of the Brit. Embassy will receive a bit of a 'cold shoulder' at Embassy parties for a while now!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, glegolo said:

And you just dont see it I guess. This can be the highway for the immigration people to start to earn the BIG money now. Big road that leads directly to controlled agents charging beuriful fees.. England can in worst case scenario have created a disaster for all other nations... It is just so damn stupid acting....

glegolo

That is nothing more than conspiracy theory!

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Snow Leopard said:

Can it not be done online? How do you get the letters supporting your income now? 

Personally, I've always posted original documentation in support of my application to the Brit. Embassy.

Unfortunately, I'm nowhere near as IT literate as most posters ☹️.

I own a property here which gets no kudos for me at immigration so I try and keep as little in Thailand as possible .

My UK  pension is received into a UK bank account , every month and the statement always shows my National Insurance

No. ( NI ) as part of the description.

Surely it should be possible for the  UK Embassy and or Thai authorities to  accept (3)  original UK bank statements   provided this it has a valid  NI number on it as proof .  Easily checked  got fraud on a random basis I would imagine .

This would reduce the 800,000 to about 460,00 in my case and solve the problem completely for those with Thai wives who need to show 400,000.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

The American Embassy and FO in particular are likely to be particularly annoyed at the announcement by the Brit. Embassy that they were about to follow suit - and (I've no doubt) made many 'harsh' comments to the Brit. Embassy/FO at their presumption ????.

This assumes, of course, that the British Embassy didn't consult with the FCO back in London before making the annuncement. In that case I'm sure that Jeremy Hunt's ears are still ringing after the irate phone call which the American Ambassador in London made to him!

2 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

With a bit of luck, members of the Brit. Embassy will receive a bit of a 'cold shoulder' at Embassy parties for a while now!

Meaning that those who are currently responsible for processing inome confirmation letters are likely to have even more time than they had been expecting for honing their thumb-twiddling skills after 1st January 2019!

• Like 1

On 10/11/2018 at 5:16 PM, Jack100 said:

I own a property here which gets no kudos for me at immigration so I try and keep as little in Thailand as possible .

My UK  pension is received into a UK bank account , every month and the statement always shows my National Insurance

No. ( NI ) as part of the description.

Surely it should be possible for the  UK Embassy and or Thai authorities to  accept (3)  original UK bank statements   provided this it has a valid  NI number on it as proof .  Easily checked  got fraud on a random basis I would imagine .

This would reduce the 800,000 to about 460,00 in my case and solve the problem completely for those with Thai wives who need to show 400,000.

Slightly off topic, but when GDPR replaced DPA 98 a few months ago one of the first complaints to be reported related to NI numbers appearing on bank statements & deemed not appropriate to have been given to a bank or published.

Don't shoot the messenger and no I can't (be bothered to) dig up the link.

Edited by evadgib

On 10/11/2018 at 5:08 PM, dick dasterdly said:

Our misfortune is probably your good luck - insofar as the shit storm stirred up by the Brit. Embassy's lone announcement will hopefully make other Embassies think twice before getting involved in 'the game'....

someone could spit in their gin tonics.

3 minutes ago, richiejom said:

I think we could reach a few thousand fast if we shared it to all our friends on Facebook, send it to them in a message...they don't have to be Expats ????

people like me don't have friends, or facebook but I see what you mean, see what its like in a week or so.

• Like 2

I support this petition; however, I do believe that people should be concentrating on lobbying Thai immigration because they are responsible for the British Embassies action. I would be surprised if the Embassies of other countries don't follow the UK's lead unless Thai immigration back down; or that their existing letters/affidavits will not be accepted by immigration if they don't confirm that they have validated the income/source.

Do it and amass 800,000THB into a Thai bank account, shop around as some pay reasonable interest rates, then come retirement extension renewal time no problems, just get your bank statement, which takes half and hour and costs maybe 200Bt. If you've got sufficient money then the required amount in a Thai bank is definitely the best way to go. 

It has certainly spurred me in that direction. I resented paying the Embassy £50 just to sign a letter that proved nothing anyway.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

2 hours ago, richiejom said:

https://petitionmap.unboxedconsulting.com/?petition=230120&area=uk

thats quite cool, you can see where in the UK people signed from

I've just signed in support (although pension income doesn't apply to me personally). But that map link shows just a few scattered locations across UK and none in Central England. Would have thought London would have been represented, but nothing yet. This effort needs a lot more publicity somehow. Good luck.

• Like 1