Desperate City Hall Doubles Fine for Undeterred Sidewalk Motorists

snoop1130

Desperate City Hall Doubles Fine for Undeterred Sidewalk Motorists

By Jintamas Saksornchai, Staff Reporter

sidewalkmoto_hed-696x514.jpg

A motorcycle taxi on a sidewalk in Bangkok. Photo: Thailand Footpath / Facebook

BANGKOK — City Hall on Thursday said the number of motorcycle jockeys on sidewalks is almost unchanged even after more than 3 million baht in fines were collected from them in the past three months.

While admitting that setting up more checkpoints across Bangkok failed to clear motorcyclists from sidewalks, Deputy Gov. Sakoltee Phattiyakul said the minimum fine had recently been increased from 500 baht to 1,000 baht, hoping it would discourage further violations of the law.

Full Story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/bangkok/2018/10/11/desperate-city-hall-doubles-fine-for-undeterred-sidewalk-motorists/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2018-10-11

1 hour ago, snoop1130 said:

".....even after more than 3 million baht in fines were collected".

Typo mistake maybe. I think that's meant to read 3 million baht in fines were issued; zero fines collected, except for those without a receipt. The boys in brown can see a winner here and have convinced City Hall to double the take, most of which is in cash and returned to city hall pockets. No flies on these boys.

4 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

City Hall on Thursday said the number of motorcycle jockeys on sidewalks is almost unchanged even after more than 3 million baht in fines were collected from them in the past three months.

Need to extreme it up a bit .. Try those Stinger nail carpet things an' if it still ain't getting thru' RPG's ..

IMG_20181011_160734.jpg

From what I've seen around lower Sukhumvit, both the regular cops and the Tessaban City Hall cops seem to basically ignore the entire thing. I've seen members of both groups slouching around and along Sukhumvit Road, motorcyclists driving down the sidewalks, and never seen either group stop/cite any of them. Perhaps because the offenders are often motocy taxi rank guys who are, AFAIK, paying off the cops...

I had a cop and his motorbike coming against me on the pavement yesterday, I was on a bicycle. No helmet cop. So he broke all the rules in the book he is supposed to follow. 

Changes ? Forget it. 

This is typical Thai Bureaucrat 101-ism...

"But, I wrote a new regulation, how come the problem isn't solved?"

There are laws requiring motorcycle helmets, people don't wear helmets.

There are laws against prostitution, there are prostitutes.

There are laws against selling booze during certain hours, you can buy booze around the clock.

There are laws against insider trading, you can trade on inside information.

There are laws against polluting, you can pollute.

There are laws against coups, you can launch a coup.

There are laws against embezzling funds, you can embezzle funds.

There are laws against nepotism, you can hire all the family you want.

There are laws against ____________, you can ______________.

And somehow, Thai bureaucrats wonder why the problem(s) isn't solved...

Seriously, they do wonder...

Go figure...

I had a cop and his motorbike coming against me on the pavement yesterday, I was on a bicycle. No helmet cop. So he broke all the rules in the book he is supposed to follow. 
Changes ? Forget it. 
Nothing wrong with cops riding footpaths in a nightmare traffic city if they are looking for bad guys. Would it be better if they just took and extra hour by lining up in traffic?

Forget the cops and postman who take short cuts and focus on lazy somchai motorbike taxi pls

3 hours ago, blackhorse said:

Nothing wrong with cops riding footpaths in a nightmare traffic city if they are looking for bad guys. Would it be better if they just took and extra hour by lining up in traffic?

Forget the cops and postman who take short cuts and focus on lazy somchai motorbike taxi pls

What do you mean "forget the cops."?

The law should cover everyone. They are not looking for bad guys. Most of those that I see on the footpath are on their way to 7/11, or home or something/. Why should they be any different?

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Undeterred Sidewalk Motorists

Just highlights their utter contempt for the law, but when you are at the bottom of the food chain and probably the most exploited of all road users it's little wonder.

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

City Hall on Thursday said the number of motorcycle jockeys on sidewalks is almost unchanged

Not a problem here in Chiang Mai though as the cars parked on the sidewalk keep the motorcyclists off.  I'm assuming parking cars on the sidewalk is perfectly legal as I've never seen a CM BIB do anything about them.

ParkedOnSidewalk.thumb.jpg.68cd12fb6024686066f94ad92cabcebd.jpg

I walk to work on Asoke every day.  The traffic (blocking) control cop at the Crossroads turns his back every time someone without a helmet comes by or guys ride their bikes on the sidewalk causing all us pedestrians to scatter.  Now again down toward Soi Cowboy, the side walk parking lots and toilets are back in full swing between the Pullman and Las Colinas.  The public piss on the wall toilets never went away, but it used to be nice for 6 months to be able to walk on the sidewalk without possibly getting a cut from a motorcycle parked across the sidewalk.  Back out on to Asoke to get by again.....  safer dodging traffic.

Big Joke needs to have some clones made to clean things up here in Angel City. You would think with the “3million” collected the could install more WORKING video and cops to enforce the law. But they would rather remain “ desperate” and give up. The same is true with the belching buses all over that should be required to clean up but somehow evade the men in brown. What frauds!

8 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

This is typical Thai Bureaucrat 101-ism...

"But, I wrote a new regulation, how come the problem isn't solved?"

There are laws requiring motorcycle helmets, people don't wear helmets.

There are laws against prostitution, there are prostitutes.

There are laws against selling booze during certain hours, you can buy booze around the clock.

There are laws against insider trading, you can trade on inside information.

There are laws against polluting, you can pollute.

There are laws against coups, you can launch a coup.

There are laws against embezzling funds, you can embezzle funds.

There are laws against nepotism, you can hire all the family you want.

There are laws against ____________, you can ______________.

And somehow, Thai bureaucrats wonder why the problem(s) isn't solved...

Seriously, they do wonder...

Go figure...

Whether something is illegal or not has absolutely no relevance in Thailand.

35 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

Looking at the pictures posted, I can't see what hazzard these motorcyclists could do to the nonexistent pedestrians.

sidewalkmoto_hed-696x514.jpg

IMG_20181011_160734.jpg

If you've attempted to make a relevant reply, I think it was an abysmal failure.

4 hours ago, connda said:

Not a problem here in Chiang Mai though as the cars parked on the sidewalk keep the motorcyclists off.  I'm assuming parking cars on the sidewalk is perfectly legal as I've never seen a CM BIB do anything about them.

ParkedOnSidewalk.thumb.jpg.68cd12fb6024686066f94ad92cabcebd.jpg

In 2016 my car was clamped in Chiang Mai , I parked on the sidewalk. Had to go to police station and pay the fine before they would unclamp it......

Archived