Bullying video highlights rampant school violence

webfact

Bullying video highlights rampant school violence

By THE NATION

96bb73278bb78f24dfda55d1cc521368.jpeg

A GROUP of students bullied an autistic and much younger child at their school in Phayao province, a video clip has revealed.

The clip, which had caused uproar on social media and been shared more than 70,000 times before being deleted, has brought the problem of bullying at school into the spotlight. 

A survey by the Mental Health Department has shown that about 600,000 Thai children suffer violence at school, making Thailand No 2 in the world for the problem, second only to Japan. 

According to the report “An Everyday Lesson: #ENDviolence in Schools” released last month by Unicef, bullying and fights disrupt the education of 150 million 13 to 15-year-olds worldwide, while half of all students in that age group experience peer violence in and around school. 

Justice Ministry deputy permanent secretary Tawatchai Thaikyo yesterday called for the children who bullied the girl in the clip to be forced to undergo “behavioural adjustment”. 

“The school should contact any juvenile observation and projection centre for help,” he said. 

Tawatchai believed the case should not end with just an apology from the children responsible or a mild sentence of probation. 

The clip showed older boys and girls in school uniforms bullying and manhandling the younger child. 

The bullies were later identified as being Mathayom 2 students, while the victim was a primary school student and autistic. 

She was subjected to hair-pulling, was pushed around and at one point, someone also put a foot on her face. 

The incident occurred on October 5 at Ban Dong School in Dok Kham Tai district.

The school’s director Nanthapol Fusrikul was summoned on Wednesday to a meeting with Deputy Phayao Goveror Wutthichai Saowakomut about the incident.

A Mathayom 2 student, who allegedly videotaped the assault and whose name has been withheld due to his age, said on Facebook that he was sorry for the incident and that his group had already been placed on probation by the school.

The clip was uploaded to Facebook by the victim’s uncle, who is trying to demand justice for his niece. 

It received more than 400,000 views within 24 hours and sparked widespread condemnation of the children responsible. The clip has now been deleted. 

According to Nanthapol, eight Mathayom 2 students have admitted that they “bullied and rough-handled” the girl but said they had not detained her or intended to seriously hurt her.

Nanthapol added that the school talked to the parents of the children involved, who agreed to pay a total of Bt5,000 to the victim’s parents to put an end to the incident. 

He said the school also issued warnings to the children involved and placed them on probation as per Education Ministry rules. If they re-offended, they would get their behaviour score cut and face a suspension from class, he added. 

However, the victim’s mother said she was angry over the incident and vowed to press for the bullies to be punished. She said that the school had offered to get each of the eight involved children to pay Bt500 compensation to the family to end the incident. 

She said she was asked to sign a document to not pursue the case but she turned down the offer. 

The Mathayom 2 students involved in the assault and the victim were given physical and psychological tests at a hospital yesterday morning, said Phayao Primary Education Service Office 1 director Pathom Cheuamor.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30356286

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-10-12

And as usual the Thai Education Ministry bury their heads and again display their complete lack of professionalism and their complete lack of competence and lack of sincerity and conviction to deal with such incidents / any incidents, and at the same time display any lack of concern for the victim and lack of any appropriate punishment for the acts of the perpetrators and at the same time a warning to other kids 'you can't behave like this, and if you do there will be serious punishment'.

Roll on urgently, total and absolute education reform by dismissing all of the staff in at least the top 5 layers of the education ministry. 

The underlying problem is that humans hate humans right from birth. How else do we explain why such young people with little or no experience of life and the world resort to this, everywhere. Most of us fortunately grow out of it, but how many still hate someone sitting close to them on a bus or train, for example.

I read somewhere else that one of the bullies said, and I paraphrase, “Please stop sharing the video. We were just trying to untangle her hair”.

I can understand a child coming up with an excuse like this, but that’s where the adults give that child a metaphorical slap round the head and say, “Don’t you dare try not to take responsibility for your actions!”. This part seems to have been lost on the adults. 

10 hours ago, webfact said:

She said she was asked to sign a document to not pursue the case but she turned down the offer. 

If a child of mine did such a thing, that child would sleep outside for a month.  These kids parents should be ashamed of themselves. Schools are just so happy, like other institutions, to sweep their problems under the carpet.  Just hideous.

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

The underlying problem is that humans hate humans right from birth. How else do we explain why such young people with little or no experience of life and the world resort to this, everywhere. Most of us fortunately grow out of it, but how many still hate someone sitting close to them on a bus or train, for example.

I don't buy that. My daughter is 'learning' at school that black-skinned people are nasty, ugly and should be shunned. She was not taught this kind of filth in my house when she was a toddler and would have happily played with any other kid.

It is adults who inculcate the young with their prejudices.

The hate apple doesn't fall from the cactus. I don't believe the stats. I have had 3 kids through 3 different schools here in CM and they have never seen crap like that. I asked them when we watched this video together yesterday. 1 graduate university, 1 will graduate high school this year, and last one out of high school in 2 more additional years. such BS. And the clip is from Phayao. Talk about a town out there.

1 hour ago, baboon said:

I don't buy that. My daughter is 'learning' at school that black-skinned people are nasty, ugly and should be shunned. She was not taught this kind of filth in my house when she was a toddler and would have happily played with any other kid.

It is adults who inculcate the young with their prejudices.

There is gym in Siem Reap.  They charge baranges $1 and locals R2000.  It is a family run business and one of their kids would bring her daughter to work.  The daughter was around 5 years old.  Mom was busy on day, so I jokingly gave the 5 year old my dollar.  She quickly have me R2000 in change.  Her mother was mortified.  The child had yet to understand dual pricing.  So I would agree.  Such poor manners are learned from others.

In old Singapore, they would take all of them in front of the whole school and administer 12 lashes across the buttocks with the cane each week, for how ever long as the Judge ordered.  Thailand could learn a thing or two from Singaporeans.

43 minutes ago, TunnelRat69 said:

In old Singapore, they would take all of them in front of the whole school and administer 12 lashes across the buttocks with the cane each week, for how ever long as the Judge ordered.  Thailand could learn a thing or two from Singaporeans.

Hitting kids to teach kids that hitting is wrong ?

1 minute ago, sanemax said:

Hitting kids to teach kids that hitting is wrong ?

It's an asian thing, like Vietnam, China, the family's has to pay for the bullets they kill the convicted in a death penalty..............adds insult to injury, teases them 'there are consequences for your actions'  I don't agree or disagree, it   just   is.....................peace

If a child of mine did such a thing, that child would sleep outside for a month.  These kids parents should be ashamed of themselves. Schools are just so happy, like other institutions, to sweep their problems under the carpet.  Just hideous.
Apparently the bullies are blaming their actions on their parents who kept locking them outside

Archived