British Embassy Income Letters

It's really very simple.

1. Thai immigration have told the BE (only?) that they expect them to verify the income from the people that are getting the embassy letter.

2. It is impossible for the BE to do that.

3. The BE are worried that they would be legally liable if one of their citizens in possession of one of their letters was proved to have lied about their income.

Therefore all your letters and petitions are going to fail because in effect, you are asking the BE to take legal liability, which of course they are not going to do.

Edited by Joe Mcseismic
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Pattaya46 said:

Seriously !! :ohmy:

You send such a long email to your Embassy and you expect an answer ??

Too long for me to read it, and they will think exactly the same :cool:

I think you'll find the more senior bureaucrats have had enough education to cope.

14 minutes ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

It's really very simple.

1. Thai immigration have told the BE (only?) that they expect them to verify the income from the people that are getting the embassy letter.

3. The BE are worried that they would be legally liable if one of their citizens in possession of one of their letters was proved to have lied about their income.

Therefore all your letters and petitions are going to fail because in effect, you are asking the BE to take legal liability, which of course they are not going to do.

Have you a link to validate that claim please?

1 minute ago, mfd101 said:

I think you'll find the more senior bureaucrats have had enough education to cope.

I no doubt they had good education,

but I am unsure if they have enough time to reply all emails... :unsure:

When not enough time, just reply to short messages/questions.

Edited by Pattaya46

29 minutes ago, vogie said:
44 minutes ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

It's really very simple.

Have you a link to validate that claim please?

1. It’s confirmed by the Embassy announcement.

2. More impractical than impossible to confirm with every income source to validate the source.

3. That’s obvious.

Edited by elviajero
  • Like 1

I am allowing this topic to run. But if it turns into a discussion of the letters not being issued it will be closed.

It’s very difficult for anyone coming onto the forum to find the information they require.
With this one that’s at least 3 now on the go and all saying much the same stuff.
Any way these can be condensed into one focal point with the main bullet points in the OP.
Appreciate it’s not an easy thing to control as the subject is proving a very emotional one for many but as it stands seems a bit all over the place for anyone requiring the correct info.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

11 minutes ago, mfd101 said:

Indeed. But it still doesn't stop them behaving like morons IMHO, as in this particular instance!

The e-mail should be forwarded to the UK FCO in London . The BE and Consulates act under their instructions. From the latest interview given by the vice consul ?  , I was left under the impression that after an audit by the FCO they were informed that they are not allowed to issue the income letter.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OJAS said:

Indeed. But it still doesn't stop them behaving like morons IMHO, as in this particular instance!

Why are they acting like morons?

If issuing the letter with unproven income makes them legally liable, then the logical step is to stop issuing the letter to avoid that liability.

People would be much better off writing to Thai immigration to find out what to do if they can't get an embassy letter.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

If issuing the letter with unproven income makes them legally liable, then the logical step is to stop issuing the letter to avoid that liability.

People would be much better off writing to Thai immigration to find out what to do if they can't get an embassy letter.

Because their alternative suggestion of monthly transfers into a Thai bank account simply won't wash with immigration offices as things stand. And, even if there were legal liability issues in play here, I find it curious that no other Embassy has decided to follow the Brits' lead by withdrawing their income verification service for this reason.

20 minutes ago, OJAS said:

In most countries' foreign affairs organisations, the diplomats and the consular (administrative) staff are 2 quite separate career streams, the former senior & prestigious, the latter decidedly not. With all that that implies ...

2 minutes ago, mfd101 said:

In most countries' foreign affairs organisations, the diplomats and the consular (administrative) staff are 2 quite separate career streams, the former senior & prestigious, the latter decidedly not. With all that that implies ...

Agreed. Maybe I shouldn't have tarred them all with the same brush on reflection!

8 minutes ago, OJAS said:

Because their alternative suggestion of monthly transfers into a Thai bank account simply won't wash with immigration offices as things stand. And, even if there were legal liability issues in play here, I find it curious that no other Embassy has decided to follow the Brits' lead by withdrawing their income verification service for this reason.

.......which is why those letters should be addressed to Thai immigration.

Too many posters are looking at this subjectively. Try looking at it objectively.

Whether the lady was mistaken, or lied is neither here nor there. It has no bearing on the new situation.

Concentrate on the facts. I laid them out in my 1, 2, 3 post.

Edited by Joe Mcseismic

24 minutes ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

Put 800k into a bank account for three months.