Landlord Disputes

7 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Do you call sealing a drain cover in the kitchen to prevent finding the kitchen floor covered in cockroaches every morning, an unapproved alteration? Do you call filling all the cracks in the kitchen ceiling/ walls to prevent lizards and ants making the kitchen their abode, an unapproved alteration? Do you call changing a broken toilet seat for a ew good quality seat an unapproved alteration?

On the "broken contract" I initially signed a 1 year contract and then, at the landlords request, I signed a second 2 year contract. After many requests for the landlord to do basic repairs/improvements, which fell on deaf ears, we finally decided to buy our own house. 18 months into the contract, we gave the landlord 4 months notice to vacate, leaving 2 months left on a 2 year contract. Contract length is primarily to protect the tenant not the landlord, as the recent changes to the law indicate, and has always been the case in the UK. Also, nowhere in my contract did it say that I would lose my deposit if I vacated early. Both landlords had misused the contract to try to extort money from me which is normal practice in Thailand.

They got what they deserved.

Funny how some people always get their deposit back, yet others always seem to have trouble with every leasing they do.... I wonder what the common denominator in each case is.......

Just now, smutcakes said:

Funny how some people always get their deposit back, yet others always seem to have trouble with every leasing they do.... I wonder what the common denominator in each case is.......

Scumbag landlords both Thai and ferang in Thailand.

2 hours ago, Spidey said:

Do you call filling all the cracks in the kitchen ceiling/ walls to prevent lizards and ants making the kitchen their abode, an unapproved alteration? Do you call changing a broken toilet seat for a ew good quality seat an unapproved alteration?

Did you ask the landlord FIRST?

2 hours ago, Spidey said:

Both landlords had misused the contract to try to extort money from me which is normal practice in Thailand.

No its not normal from what Ive seen with thousands of contracts.

Just now, kannot said:

Does not  apply to under 5 condos.

And don't dodgy landlords know that!

We're not talking the letter of the law here, which in Thailand was totally slanted towards the landlord, leaving tenants little or no rights. We're talking what's morally right here, as in knowing right from wrong. Something Thai landlords know little or nothing about.

1 minute ago, kannot said:

So what did you do?

I've already told that in a previous post. Basically, my landlord was in England at the time and I had is address. I was due to visit England imminently so said that I would call on him. I also had the keys, which I refused to return until I had my deposit returned.

With this , he agreed to let me stay in the house for 1 month rent free and returned one months deposit when I returned the keys.

13 minutes ago, kannot said:

No its not normal from what Ive seen with thousands of contracts.

Well I didn't expect anyone who sits on the "scumbag landlord" side of the fence to say any different.

I have personally experienced and been told by a number of people that it's the norm.

OP

It rather depends on the amount involved- which you did not mention. 

I left a house with the landlord owing us 110 000 baht ( which is a reasonable amount of money) 

A short version- went to court - won easily- he did not even bother to attend - he was a foreigner- still refused to pay .

Back to court - the judge was not exactly happy and was about to order arrest , blacklist and deportation of said Gallic person. 

He paid .

( Actually If would have been worth the money and a trip to the airport to wave him goodbye) 

Cost 20 000.

You can go to court , and actually we found the court system fair.

So it depends on the amount owed. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, kannot said:

So if I told you my Wife has done this sort of job for 10 odd years and the vast majority get their  full deposit back I guess no one would believe me, thats dealing with thousands of owners and condos.

Often is the case many  who dont will tell you how they kept the places "immaculate" but the truth is often very VERY different, many I wouldnt put a pig in after theyd  left.

Its like any disagreement.   Both parties are always right and the other is a liar.   We rent to foreigners and

always give deposit back if nothing major (never has been).    Every renter has always said how much they love the yard , etc etc.  Maybe 5% can even be bothered to water or pick up a dead branch.  That said, we now try to choose carefully and get rewarded with some nice people. 

Dont vacate until they give the deposit back. Last time we sat in the apartment and did not leave until the Thai Chinese owner turned up with the cash. I know it sounds desperate but it seems normal that landlords dont give back deposits, so stick to your guns! btw the 2 month deposit is an excuse to get as much money from you as possible that wont be returned.

• Like 1

Dont vacate until they give the deposit back. Last time we sat in the apartment and did not leave until the Thai Chinese owner turned up with the cash. I know it sounds desperate but it seems normal that landlords dont give back deposits, so stick to your guns! btw the 2 month deposit is an excuse to get as much money from you as possible that wont be returned.
A bit daft that though, the idea is the landlord inspects it once you've gone. Imagine that everyone doing a sit in when they are due to leave

Yeah, they always try it on, the Thais (smh).  I went from renting to owning my condo and the landlady tried to keep one month of a two month security deposit.  I was exhausted fighting it, but not my wife. She got it eventually.  One funny note was that the landlady said she wanted to put the money into a fund for my daughter. What?! She was nuts. 

Edited by falangjim

18 hours ago, blackhorse said:

Your screwed. Poor old renters keep saying how amazing the crappy thai rentals are right up untill the crappy land lord takes away 2 months deposit...

Own your own condo where ever you are In the world and be master of your own domain!!

I've been renting the same condo for 8 years . I pay the landlord 3 months rent in advance, in return for a discounted rental rate. There is no security deposit. Until the time Immigration wanted to see a lease, everything was on a verbal basis.

There's arguments for owning and against, just as there is for renting.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:
6 hours ago, kannot said:
Impossible to check anything in Thailand.

Check their wealth, ask for them to pay 6-12 months, ask to see their bank balance. If they don't want to then decline them renting

That's achievable in places like Jakarta. Here, tenants would just laugh at you. My bank balance is none of your business.

Chiang Mai has a glut of condos with unoccupied apartments. Landlords are practically begging for good tenants.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MaiChai said:

Can't they get a locksmith to open the door when you are out and put your things on the street (or in a storeroom)?

Edited by JimmyJ

19 hours ago, blackhorse said:

Your screwed. Poor old renters keep saying how amazing the crappy thai rentals are right up untill the crappy land lord takes away 2 months deposit...

Own your own condo where ever you are In the world and be master of your own domain!!

Do not own your condo in thailand cos there are hundreds of thousands for sale. Rent and just walk away

• Like 1

That's achievable in places like Jakarta. Here, tenants would just laugh at you. My bank balance is none of your business.
Chiang Mai has a glut of condos with unoccupied apartments. Landlords are practically begging for good tenants.
It depends on the situation, if a tea leaf looking farang wants to rent i might do that, it depends on the person. If they can't even show income or a bank balance who would want them

6 hours ago, Spidey said:

And don't dodgy landlords know that!

We're not talking the letter of the law here, which in Thailand was totally slanted towards the landlord, leaving tenants little or no rights. We're talking what's morally right here, as in knowing right from wrong. Something Thai landlords know little or nothing about.

Morally right is irrelevant, morally wont get you anywhere in court.

5 hours ago, Spidey said:

Well I didn't expect anyone who sits on the "scumbag landlord" side of the fence to say any different.

I have personally experienced and been told by a number of people that it's the norm.

Would that run into the "thousands" then a s opposed to someone who does deal in thosuands? You also assume I sit on the, as you call it "scumbags landlords fence" yet I already stated I have nothing to do with the Wifes business and she dumps crap landlords.

22 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Never rent anywhere with more than a 1-month deposit.

Or pay 6 month/1 year in advance with no deposit.

Pay up front in Thailand for rent?

???????????? They'll kick you out and have someone new in within a week. 

10 hours ago, kannot said:

So if I told you my Wife has done this sort of job for 10 odd years and the vast majority get their  full deposit back I guess no one would believe me, thats dealing with thousands of owners and condos.

Often is the case many  who dont will tell you how they kept the places "immaculate" but the truth is often very VERY different, many I wouldnt put a pig in after theyd  left.

have to agree, there's two sides to this; sure landlords should be honest but also some tenants cause an awful lot of problems and damage

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, kannot said:

Would that run into the "thousands" then a s opposed to someone who does deal in thosuands? You also assume I sit on the, as you call it "scumbags landlords fence" yet I already stated I have nothing to do with the Wifes business and she dumps crap landlords.

Surprised that you didn't say "millions" for emphasis.

Dont pay the last two months rent and tell him that you're balancing accounts together with utility bills. Like that you dont have to run after the money, presumably you pay for actual damages and costs occurred - I would assume. 

He will foam and steam about it - but everything else will result in you forfeiting your deposit with no chance to claim anything back. 

• Like 2