Landlord Disputes

7 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

I guess the landlord could kick you out for not paying rent@Kannot what does your wifes agency do in this scenario?

I'm curious about this also.

Can the landlord have the tenant evicted for non-payment of the last 2 months rent if the deposit the landlord holds covers 2 months?

In general, what is the law on evictions on rentals in Thailand?

the place i stay in now is nearly the only place where the landlord didnt steal my deposit, that is the reason i keep coming back here in spite of shitty internet.

i have found the likelyhood of getting the deposit back increases a lot if its eye to eye rather than a request of bank account so they can give it back without being within striking range

Edited by poanoi

Might be worth asking the landlord if he declares all his income rental property to the revenue folks. You could hint that you are going to make such enquiries with the right people just to check. Might put the frighteners on him a bit.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Henryford said:

No one ever gets their deposit back.

I'm two from two (one house, one condo). That said the condo one was bloody difficult. The lease said he could hold the deposit for up to 45 days after the tenancy had ended. I guess the landlord counts on people leaving thailand when they leave his condo so it's harder for them to chase up. I was just shifting across town, so I went back to the condo every other day to see the juristic person to see if there was any movement on it. She was really good, she'd call him every time I went in there. In the end, she threatened him that she would assist me with going to the police to file a complaint of theft (her brother is a cop, so it was a credible threat) if he didn't come up with the money by the end of the week. Funnily enough, a few days later it came through. 

This thread does make me nervous about the hefty bond I've paid for my current house...

• Like 1

23 hours ago, samsensam said:

have to agree, there's two sides to this; sure landlords should be honest but also some tenants cause an awful lot of problems and damage

cmon, tenants are all great respectful people who never do or say anything bad !   just look at all the wonderful examples of mature and respectful folks here on TV .  

• Like 1

Just now, rumak said:

BS.....

The majority of those that do, get a hard time from their landlords and have to give a hard time to their landlords before they get their money back.

Edited by Spidey

Just now, Spidey said:

The majority of those that do get a hard time from their landlords and have to give a hard time to their landlords before they get their money back.

You could be right.... I don't know the percentages but it might be a majority.  The landlords are .a.............s..

if they do that.  I also know that there are many arrogant and unhappy farangs here that rent a house

where things are well managed and the owner is nice and gives deposits back.   But they (the tenant) have in some cases been total jerks who do NOT abide by the lease they sign.   Good landlords will tell you that is very difficult to find good tenants.

And vice versa i guess.  

• Like 1

Just now, rumak said:

You could be right.... I don't know the percentages but it might be a majority.  The landlords are .a.............s..

if they do that.  I also know that there are many arrogant and unhappy farangs here that rent a house

where things are well managed and the owner is nice and gives deposits back.   But they (the tenant) have in some cases been total jerks who do NOT abide by the lease they sign.   Good landlords will tell you that is very difficult to find good tenants.

And vice versa i guess.  

The majority of stories that I've personally heard are from Thais with Thai landlords. They treat their own even worse than they treat farangs. Probably because they know that Thais will shrug their shoulders and accept it as the way it is here.

On 10/15/2018 at 7:15 PM, scubascuba3 said:
On 10/15/2018 at 4:49 PM, Lacessit said:
That's achievable in places like Jakarta. Here, tenants would just laugh at you. My bank balance is none of your business.
Chiang Mai has a glut of condos with unoccupied apartments. Landlords are practically begging for good tenants.

It depends on the situation, if a tea leaf looking farang wants to rent i might do that, it depends on the person. If they can't even show income or a bank balance who would want them

I'm surprised you get any tenants. Provided someone who is renting comes up with rent and security deposit in advance, and doesn't look or sound like a feral, IMHO most landlords would rent to them. I've been a landlord and tenant both.

Personally, if a prospective landlord wanted my financial details, I'd be telling him/her to get stuffed.

• Like 2

I'm surprised you get any tenants. Provided someone who is renting comes up with rent and security deposit in advance, and doesn't look or sound like a feral, IMHO most landlords would rent to them. I've been a landlord and tenant both.
Personally, if a prospective landlord wanted my financial details, I'd be telling him/her to get stuffed.

Back in the UK seeing pay slips, credit checks is standard. You'd never be able to rent if you didn't allow it, alarm bells to the landlord and they dodge a bullet

Just now, scubascuba3 said:

Back in the UK seeing pay slips, credit checks is standard. You'd never be able to rent if you didn't allow it, alarm bells to the landlord and they dodge a bullet

That's really not the case. Back in the UK, I know the owner of a letting agency and a private landlord. A reference is all they require.

We just had a former tenant (from 4 years ago) contact us to ask if we had a house available.  She had

left the country and now returned.  She looked at 14 houses which were nearer to her work but she was not happy with.  When i told her someone was moving out soon she immediately asked if she could rent it.

Happy customers come back.   And i should add that we were thrilled to get a good tenant back as well.

Edited by rumak
  • Like 1

That's really not the case. Back in the UK, I know the owner of a letting agency and a private landlord. A reference is all they require.
I'm a landlord in the UK and just a reference (easy to fake one) isn't enough, credit checks are standard. Not all agencies are the same but likely most won't just accept a reference. Its probably a choice as it costs money

9 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

We are not in the UK, in case you have not noticed.

On the other hand, I have noticed there are some Brits who take Mother England with them everywhere they go.

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

On the other hand, I have noticed there are some Brits who take Mother England with them everywhere they go.

Rule Brittania!

6 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:
9 hours ago, Lacessit said:

You conveniently ignored that the previous bm was referring to UK, go back to sleep

I wish I could, but your posts are keeping me awake trying to figure out what the hell renting in the UK has to do with renting in Thailand.

• Like 1

On 10/14/2018 at 9:41 PM, blackhorse said:

Your screwed. Poor old renters keep saying how amazing the crappy thai rentals are right up untill the crappy land lord takes away 2 months deposit...

Own your own condo where ever you are In the world and be master of your own domain!!

except when annoying russians are living above having parties at 3am. better to rent

except when annoying russians are living above having parties at 3am. better to rent

Nonsense if you just signed a 12 month lease you would be screwed? Why would you bend over just because they are Russians?

That's what juristic is for. It's for protection for both renters and owners.

• Like 1

Just so you holier than thou folk wonder whats discovered when tenants cancel a contract then "demands" back the deposit, the Wife found this one today, tenant said wanted to leave 6 months  early, delayed paying rent for two weeks then did a runner, Found out he had been keeping a  cat as  sofa is scratched to shreds, new will be 10k, bed was filthy, cooking area filthy this is on a 10k a  month room so deposit was 20k which will not cover the damage. he was their 6  months.

As ive said before she has seen thousands of tenants owners and rooms over 12  years and the vast majority get deposits back.

Tenant claims.........bed was like this when he moved in, Wife knows for a  fact it wasnt as she often has to prepare these  rooms and bought this mattress with landlords permission.

bed .jpg

Tenant claims.........bed was like this when he moved in, Wife knows for a  fact it wasnt as she often has to prepare these  rooms and bought this mattress with landlords permission

Taking photos of everything at the start of tenancy avoids any disagreement. It won't help in this case though. Putting a waterproof mattress cover on is essential