Is my U.K driving licence ok until i apply for a Thai one???

jimmjam

39 minutes ago, kwilco said:

I think you are completely wrong.....can you show  us the source for those assertions?

Sure, i gathered all official informations already, an official source (Thai traffic law or Geneva Convention) for everything is provided:

Many people say a 90 day limit exists, nobody could ever provide an official source for it.

Obviously i can't prove that something doesn't exist, but since nobody could ever provide an official source for it, most likely it just doesn't exist.

12 hours ago, jackdd said:

There is no 90 day limit to begin with, so no need to reset anything.

If he has a valid UK license + IDP he can drive in Thailand with it as long as it's valid, so up to a year (if he doesn't have Thai citizenship or permanent residency)

Incorrect Sir,

Limits for driving a rental vehicle using an IDP is 60 days if you are on a tourist visa, or 90 days if you have a Non O visa. After that you require a Thai License. However, you may get away with longer if the BiB do not check your entry dates on your visa, just be careful in case of accidents.

1 hour ago, AhFarangJa said:

Incorrect Sir,

Limits for driving a rental vehicle using an IDP is 60 days if you are on a tourist visa, or 90 days if you have a Non O visa. After that you require a Thai License. However, you may get away with longer if the BiB do not check your entry dates on your visa, just be careful in case of accidents. 

Official source for this or did you make this up by yourself?

20 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Official source for this or did you make this up by yourself?

No Sir, I have not made it up. Over the 25 plus years I have lived here I have come across this many times, in newspapers, online, and even talking to people in the police force. Tripadvisor mentions it, although I agree it is not what you would call an "Official" document, it does state the same restrictions which have been posted by other peoples experiences......

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g293915-c133830/Thailand:Driving.License.Requirements.html

24 minutes ago, AhFarangJa said:

I have come across this many times, in newspapers, online, and even talking to people in the police force.

Just because different people copy it from each other doesn't make it right, it's still most likely wrong.

24 minutes ago, AhFarangJa said:

other peoples experiences

It's not experience, it's hearsay

15 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Just because different people copy it from each other doesn't make it right, it's still most likely wrong.

22 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Fine Jack, Whatever you say. I noticed that you posted in detail on another thread titled International Driving Permit. I also noticed that you decried many posters on that thread too. That is, of course, your prerogative, However, I posted what I have learnt from experience. I did this in the hope it may help others, so please do not shoot the messenger just because the facts do not conform to your strict code of authenticity. If I do happen to come across an "Official" paper then I will happily post it, but in the meantime I stick with my original post. Thanks and have a good day.

Archived