Brit expat charged for horrific Phuket accident

webfact

12 minutes ago, happy chappie said:

Yes I would expect some one who works hard to be going to work at that time.dont know why a trash collector would be out that early and i can say I've never seen them,only in the daytime.lets not start being biased because one person was driving a Mercedes and one man was pushing some sort of trolley around.lets wait for the facts to come out.

Where I live, I go for a morning walk just before 5.00am every morning.

The majority of people I see at that time are street cleaners, picking up the litter discarded the previous day, before the masses are up and about, to go to work, school or wherever.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, GBW said:

A worker from the PTT petrol station who witnessed the accident said that the deceased was a man who always collected sellable rubbish from the area.

At the time of the accident he was collecting plastic bottles from the side of the road when the car crashed into him and dragged him about 40 metres before coming to a stop.

Read more at https://www.thephuketnews.com/brit-expat-charged-for-horrific-phuket-accident-69006.php#Z4pMYiUXDwKs2jsQ.99

Yes and as sane max pointed out the damage was to the drivers side so he couldn't of been at the side of the road.

3 minutes ago, GBW said:

A worker from the PTT petrol station who witnessed the accident said that the deceased was a man who always collected sellable rubbish from the area.

At the time of the accident he was collecting plastic bottles from the side of the road when the car crashed into him and dragged him about 40 metres before coming to a stop.

Read more at https://www.thephuketnews.com/brit-expat-charged-for-horrific-phuket-accident-69006.php#Z4pMYiUXDwKs2jsQ.99

An if accurate, "the side of the road" and not physically in the road itself, then one questions whether the driver veered for whatever reason.

2 minutes ago, Thaiwrath said:

Where I live, I go for a morning walk just before 5.00am every morning.

The majority of people I see at that time are street cleaners, picking up the litter discarded the previous day, before the masses are up and about, to go to work, school or wherever.  

More evidence that this is not abnormal. Again, hopefully the fact that the Brit may have some pull will not factor in once the facts come to the surface. I don't care who and how many Thais this Brit employed...get to the bottom of it and direct appropriate punishment when applicable.

8 minutes ago, TMNH said:

And should it be assumed that just because you may be drinking, you are at the mercy of a driver who might have been more inebriated and failed to be alert? We'll see...if proper investigation ensues.

We will never know if this will be a honest investigation because if he doesn't get convicted then I see cries of it was fixed and he must of paid his way out.if he's convicted then we will see cries of hang him high.either way this mans condemned.

2 minutes ago, happy chappie said:

We will never know if this will be a honest investigation because if he doesn't get convicted then I see cries of it was fixed and he must of paid his way out.if he's convicted then we will see cries of hang him high.either way this mans condemned.

Not so sure if the driver may walk away or not because of his possible defense (money buys the best). As far as cries should he not get convicted, that is unfortunately up to the powers at bay. I do want to point out the seemingly double standard when A Thai native is accused of negligence. Are they treated the same way as a Farang? Your thoughts are welcome:)

18 minutes ago, TMNH said:

An if accurate, "the side of the road" and not physically in the road itself, then one questions whether the driver veered for whatever reason.

So the victim was at the side of the road meaning far left and the damage was on the drivers side.i think he maybe have to mount the pavement to do this manoeuvre.

13 hours ago, happy chappie said:

I think I'll wait until the outcome of the report before commenting.one thing I must say is it's not safe to skittle around in the middle of a highway in the middle of the night with some sort of trolley that would probably have no lights on and the man not having a high viz jacket on.im not trying to blame the victim but sometimes when you play with fire you can expect to get burnt.anyway let's wait and see the outcome.

Chances are pretty good that anyone out collecting trash to sell at 04:45 probably doesn't have the money to buy a high tech lighted cart or even a fancy hi-vis jacket of some sort. Sounds more like someone who is just barely surviving on a few baht per day from collecting discarded water bottles.

1 minute ago, happy chappie said:

So the victim was at the side of the road meaning far left and the damage was on the drivers side.i think he maybe have to mount the pavement to do this manoeuvre.

And you have a copy of the forensics? Either way, your explanation is unclear. Mount the pavement?

1 hour ago, TMNH said:

Agreed- what is more important is proper safety. Understandable that income (or lack thereof) induces those who are simply trying to survive take those risks, but the matter is exacerbated by those irresponsible drivers who make that risk that affects innocent people who are simply trying to survive. The fault goes around to many, but I'm addressing those incidents  where lost lives could have been prevented by some common sense and prudent knowledge of driving skills. Many are at fault for many reasons, but when I read of the innocent victims- such as the person torn apart, then I change my attitude.

Like any developing country, Thailand needs to go through growing pains and phases to come up to the standards of the West. If I think back to England for example, if I'm not mistaken it's illegal to have any tinting on the car windows there? But yeah, if you consider how controlled society is back in the UK, the automatic speed cameras set up everywhere, police cars with number plate ID software built in, being pulled over for having one break light dim or out etc etc. Nothing is going to change here in Thailand, until these small changes take place. They have the technology we have in the West, but they do not have the developed mind and sociological awareness that we developed along with those technologies. 

Edited by Easy Come Easy Go

2 minutes ago, Mace648 said:

Chances are pretty good that anyone out collecting trash to sell at 04:45 probably doesn't have the money to buy a high tech lighted cart or even a fancy hi-vis jacket of some sort. Sounds more like someone who is just barely surviving on a few baht per day from collecting discarded water bottles.

As the saying goes where there's muck there's money...and don't judge a book by its cover.lighting don't have to be high tech and I've never heard of a fancy high viz jacket.

4 hours ago, jaiyen said:

Nowhere does it say the Merc driver was at fault.  Have to wait and see what lab results are. Mercs have very good headlights , so he should have seen the guy. maybe he was speeding, maybe the guy was not on the far left. We don't know.  So stop guessing every time there is an accident. Wrong word !  lets call it a fatal car crash, an accident is very different.

"maybe the guy was not on the far left"

Have you even read the news reports. 

27 minutes ago, TMNH said:

If the driver would have veered onto the pavement , or veered at all , the car wouldnt have continued going straight down the road

29 minutes ago, happy chappie said:

Yes and as sane max pointed out the damage was to the drivers side so he couldn't of been at the side of the road.

Ok, lets put 'sane max'on the stand, the eyewitness is obviously unreliable.

4 minutes ago, TMNH said:

And you have a copy of the forensics? Either way, your explanation is unclear. Mount the pavement?

No but in the picture the damage is to the right on the car on the drivers side which is proof of impact but the eye witness claims he was at the side of the road.make your own mind up one that one.

3 minutes ago, happy chappie said:

As the saying goes where there's muck there's money...and don't judge a book by its cover.lighting don't have to be high tech and I've never heard of a fancy high viz jacket.

Agreed...granted sight can be impaired by lack of lighting, but this stinks. My opinion.

Just now, happy chappie said:

No but in the picture the damage is to the right on the car on the drivers side which is proof of impact but the eye witness claims he was at the side of the road.make your own mind up one that one.

The left side or right side of the road ?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, LivinginKata said:

"maybe the guy was not on the far left"

Have you even read the news reports. 

Yes I have and the witness said he was at the side of the road collecting empty bottles which I would say in the road but not on the pavement.

4 minutes ago, sanemax said:

If the driver would have veered onto the pavement , or veered at all , the car wouldnt have continued going straight down the road

Especially if you were intoxicated and didn't know that you hit "some thing". Either way, is there a report that the driver stopped? Surely the damage indicates that most would stop to see what happened. Is there any report which indicated that the driver stopped? Some countries (especially the US) base the charges on that. My brother was killed by a hit and run driver recently. The driver actually stopped - not to see what happened but to pick up a part of his damaged vehicle. Obviously, I'm a bit biased here and rightly so.

2 minutes ago, Easy Come Easy Go said:

The thing is though, if he was able to literally tear the poor fella to bits by hitting him with his car, he must have been doing quite some speed.. that in itself is enough to be put away for. Well, in a fair nation with justice and democracy 

Yes maybe the driver was drunk.maybe he was speeding,maybe he might have to pay his way out,maybe he was driving at that time to beat traffic,maybe the victim committed suicide,maybe we should all just wait and see of the outcome

5 minutes ago, happy chappie said:

Yes maybe the driver was drunk.maybe he was speeding,maybe he might have to pay his way out,maybe he was driving at that time to beat traffic,maybe the victim committed suicide,maybe we should all just wait and see of the outcome

I personally didn't say anything about being drunk throughout this entire thread. But it seems logical that if a person was ripped to shreds, parts of his body have been strewn over the road, the Brit was giving it some. And that is an automatic prison sentence, or should be

Edited by Easy Come Easy Go

It is reported he hit the man and stopped 40 metres along the road.so here's an idea of what speed he may of been travelling at in the dry and wet.also I wouldn't say the merc was a medium sized car either.

IMG_2534.PNG

Edited by happy chappie
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, happy chappie said:

Suicide? Surely you should not be a criminal investigator:). And what traffic at that time? no payment "out" if found guilty...sorry.

2 minutes ago, TMNH said:

Suicide? Surely you should not be a criminal investigator:). And what traffic at that time? no payment "out" if found guilty...sorry.

Maybe its a maybe and at this early time of the investigation it's another maybe.all I'm quoting is the damage is to the right,the witness said he was at the side of the road that would mean the left.also a stopping distance chart to give an idea of his speed.these are in black and white.any alcahol involved is speculation.i did point out though that the victims blood should of been checked.i could ask the question to other members why do workmen cone off roads while working in the roads and why do they light up a working area at night but no that's just health and safety crap.

4 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

For those who can't work out how a car can hit someone near the side of the road, with the right side of a car, let me introduce you to the concept of divided roads.

The accident occurred about here:

Capture.JPG

That road is often described as the "speedway" by locals and few would stay within speed limits. 

But how about 4:00 in the morning? So the street you've depicted is the street where the poor man was hit? Really, it should not matter. The bottom line is that the driver hit someone and gain....did he stop? If not, then the Brit is a scumbag.

40 minutes ago, happy chappie said:

Yes I have and the witness said he was at the side of the road collecting empty bottles which I would say in the road but not on the pavement.

And the merc was damaged on the right side ? For sure the merc was not driving in the inside lane. More likely he was crossing the road. 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

For those who can't work out how a car can hit someone near the side of the road, with the right side of a car, let me introduce you to the concept of divided roads.

The accident occurred about here:

Capture.JPG

And, for those calculating speed using charts to establish braking distances, I should point out the 40 metre stopping distance published was just an estimate from a witness in the service station.

That road is often described as the "speedway" by locals and few would stay within speed limits.

Agreed. But he would not be collecting rubbish on the central reservation.