Brit expat charged for horrific Phuket accident

webfact

15 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

For those who can't work out how a car can hit someone near the side of the road, with the right side of a car, let me introduce you to the concept of divided roads.

The accident occurred about here:

Capture.JPG

And, for those calculating speed using charts to establish braking distances, I should point out the 40 metre stopping distance published was just an estimate from a witness in the service station.

That road is often described as the "speedway" by locals and few would stay within speed limits.

Estimation,speculation,hear say,maybes.all mixed together thickens the plot.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, LivinginKata said:

And the merc was damaged on the right side ? For sure the merc was not driving in the inside lane. More likely he was crossing the road. 

You should be a forensic investigator. Whether the person hit was crossing the road or not, indication is that he was speeding. I have often been able to stop when I saw a person (or animal in the road). When speed is apparent, and or not paying attention, then this is a scenario.

14 minutes ago, TMNH said:

But how about 4:00 in the morning? So the street you've depicted is the street where the poor man was hit? Really, it should not matter. The bottom line is that the driver hit someone and gain....did he stop? If not, then the Brit is a scumbag.

The Merc driver stopped at the scene, and in fact was taken to hospital with eye injuries from the glass.  I don't know where you got the impression he fled the scene, it's stated in the links.

This is the a picture of the accident scene.

S__368663.jpg  

Two things can be seen - it was wet, and the Merc was a lot further up the road than 40m from where the body parts are scattered. It's on the left near the corner with an ambulance in attendance

To make assumptions about reasons for being on that road at that time of the morning may also be wrong. 

In my experience. many people driving off the Island, heading for BKK for instance, leave in the early hours to get over the bridge before the traffic comes. 

I have looked at most of the comments and as usual there is a lot of silly and unhelpful points being made. Nobody knows the full storey yet and the real details, but i would make  a couple of observations.

The damage to the car is to the RHS so the victim was either on the RHS collecting rubbish from the central verge, or in the middle of the road.

Also an impact alone with a car does not tear a body into bits, so the body must have been forced under the car and ripped to bits as it travelled along, even at 70KPH that would do some serious damage to a body with a low slung car.

2 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

The Merc driver stopped at the scene, and in fact was taken to hospital with eye injuries from the glass.  I don't know where you got the impression he fled the scene, it's stated in the links.

This is the a picture of the accident scene.

S__368663.jpg  

Two things can be seen - it was wet, and the Merc was a lot further up the road than 40m from where the body parts are scattered. It's on the left near the corner with an ambulance in attendance

To make assumptions about reasons for being on that road at that time of the morning may also be wrong. 

In my experience. many people driving off the Island, heading for BKK for instance, leave in the early hours to get over the bridge before the traffic comes. 

And your point?

4 minutes ago, TMNH said:

And your point?

You were hysterically and incorrectly claiming the "scumbag fled the scene.

Anyway, I note you are answering your own posts now and even then not making sense. I won't bother with you again.

8 hours ago, sanemax said:

The car is damaged on the front right hand side .

Either the dead guy was in the middle of the road, or the car was on the wrong side of the road

theres a suggestion by someone on FB that he was overtaking another vehicle, so he would have been on the wrong side

2 minutes ago, brianj1964 said:

theres a suggestion by someone on FB that he was overtaking another vehicle, so he would have been on the wrong side

Was that just a "suggestion" or did someone have any eye witness accounts ?

Was it just a random suggestion ?

21 hours ago, darksidedog said:
"Capt Warawud declined to reveal the results of the alcohol blood test or whether Mercer was tested for any other substances, or reveal any further details about the case, including whether Mercer had been released on bail."
Read more at https://www.thephuketnews.com/brit-expat-charged-for-horrific-phuket-accident-69006.php#wduJGIC5BSouQj5y.99
Which many will take as meaning that yes he is on bail, money is working its magic and the cops are working a fix.
Not going to see the inside of a jail cell because there is an affordable solution.

Do my eyes deceive me or is that a Mercedes symbol on the grill? (or is only a steak on the grill?) :stoner:

2 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Was that just a "suggestion" or did someone have any eye witness accounts ?

Was it just a random suggestion ?

read the FB post, it was posted by Niruch Potong, it was google translated but he has posted photos to suggest he was there, but it does answer your previous question about the damage to the car

8 hours ago, sanemax said:

The car is damaged on the front right hand side .

Either the dead guy was in the middle of the road, or the car was on the wrong side of the road

Or the car wasn't even on the road - a distinct possibility for any number of reasons.

34 minutes ago, brianj1964 said:

If the photo posted earlier is correct there's a divided section there so he couldn't have been on the other side.

The trash collector might have been picking up bottles and other debris that were in the center median, though.

Just the other day I was driving back from Rayong and there were some people cutting plants in the center divider. One of the workers was sitting in the road with a single cone a few meters behind him. Fortunately visibility was very good and people were driving around him but that's a very dangerous place to be as you don't expect someone to be sitting or walking in the fast lane of a road. 

1 hour ago, Old Croc said:

You were hysterically and incorrectly claiming the "scumbag fled the scene.

Anyway, I note you are answering your own posts now and even then not making sense. I won't bother with you again.

The man is obviously very confused at this point or hit the bottle too early.

Director of resorts in Thailand Australia and the US with annual income of 30 million USD and Paul Mercer (Senior I presume) is the CEO of the company...something tells me he's not going to do any hard time if he was indeed at fault.
As for those saying the victim can't have been at the side of the road because the damage to the vehicle is on the right, if there's a median strip in the middle, maybe that's how

A black Mercedes   travelling at very high speed overtook a number of cars in a line the other day , and forced his way in at the last moment  as oncoming cars approached. Reckless to say the least.

I was in that line and saw the Merc  coming in my side mirror.

I suspected it was driven by a Thai Hi So and that the windows would be too dark to see the driver , but the windows were down  and the stereo Very loud as it passed  , and  to my surprise the driver was a youngish  falang.

I noted the car was a 2 door  with very dirty rims , and now Ive just seen the photos and see this car is a 2 door.

Believe or not , even in relatively wealthy Phuket , you just dont see falangs driving Mercs in such a manner.

Im surprised others havent commented they have had  a similiar experience.

A black Mercedes   travelling at very high speed overtook a number of cars in a line the other day , and forced his way in at the last moment  as oncoming cars approached. Reckless to say the least.

I was in that line and saw the Merc  coming in my side mirror.

I suspected it was driven by a Thai Hi So and that the windows would be too dark to see the driver , but the windows were down  and the stereo Very loud as it passed  , and  to my surprise the driver was a youngish  falang.

I noted the car was a 2 door  with very dirty rims , and now Ive just seen the photos and see this car is a 2 door.

Believe or not , even in relatively wealthy Phuket , you just dont see falangs driving Mercs in such a manner.

Im surprised others havent commented they have had  a similiar experience.

That's him alright, the young Brit. He lived in Thailand since young age and probably just copied the driving skills from the locals.

On 17 October 2018 at 11:00 PM, Psimbo said:

Yep- every vehicle death thread needs a mention  of 'Boy' doesn't it? Well done you got it in in under 10 posts. Have a cookie.

No decent person will appreciate you making humorous comments over the poor mans tragic demise. 

Archived