Question regardign reentry permit

I need to obtain a reentry permit. My flight departs Chiang Mai on Sunday around 11 AM. Can I safely obtain a reentry permit there at the airport on a Sunday? What amount of leeway should I give myself for any queue that may be there? Hopefully someone has recent experience with this. Thanks in advance for any help. 

2 hours ago, BrahmaCat said:

I wouldn't think that should make a difference (I hope)

I am afraid it MAKES a difference.

Re-entry permits are issued after passing to the international departure area.

So if you fly to BKK (Suvarnabhumi?) then you will have to get the re-entry there.

How long is your connection time at Suvarnabhumi?

2 hours ago, BrahmaCat said:

Oh, I am flying from Chiang Mai to BKK.  From Bangkok I will be traveling onwards internationally. I wouldn't think that should make a difference (I hope)

It depends on where you are clearing immigration. As I recall, if clearing immigration in Chiang Mai, you can get a reentry permit in the same office that handles overstays. If clearing immigration in Bangkok just before leaving, you need to get the reentry permit there. How long is the connection in Bangkok?

15 hours ago, BritTim said:

It depends on where you are clearing immigration. As I recall, if clearing immigration in Chiang Mai, you can get a reentry permit in the same office that handles overstays. If clearing immigration in Bangkok just before leaving, you need to get the reentry permit there. How long is the connection in Bangkok?

Correct...If you are on a Thai Air itenerary, flying to BKK, and beyond, you go to the international counter and clear Immigration there.  Likely in their best interest to shake you down there, whenever possible.

1 hour ago, BrahmaCat said:

I have a two hour layover in Bangkok. Hopefully that is sufficient time. 

If your flight from Chiang Mai is late, you might be in trouble. Try to get the boarding pass for the international flight before boarding in Chiang Mai if at all possible, as that will save (possibly a lot of) time. Is online check in available for that flight?

Edited by BritTim

• 1 month later...

Thanks to everyone that helped me on this. I wanted to relate my experience in case anyone does a search with a similar question. 

Since the flight was domestic between Chiang Mai and Bangkok, I could not get the reentry permit in Chiang Mai. I got to the CM airport way too early! I did have a two hour layover at Don Muang and getting the reentry permit at Don Muang was simple. Once I cleared immigration, there was a very clearly marked office right past immigration to obtain a reentry permit. It was a little stressful since I had to check in to my next flight in addition to clearing immigration with only two hours but there was sufficient time to do so. 

Edited by BrahmaCat