Police Station asking condo management for a list of all foreigners living there+passport copy?

7 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Don't help them with ideas after the ingenious "foreigner SIM card" has not been heard of for long :biggrin:

Oh, don't worry.  It'll come back around again.

4 hours ago, Ulic said:

I shake my head. Immigration has at least 150 photocopies of the information page of my passport already from numerous residence certificates, extensions of stays etc...ect...etc...I have no idea how one more passport photocopy will help them. Mother nature must be furious with Thailand thinking about the millions of trees cut and processed into paper for these bullshit requirements.

They've probably lost them all within a week.

3 hours ago, BobTH said:

peeps ????

Really wish I had the time and photoshop skills to put a marshmallow Peep on a scooter with a neckful of amulets...

1 hour ago, Kenscot said:

Begs a question why are holiday makers allowed to declare they will be staying in a private residential condominium at the point of entry.

Thankfully the Thai authorities don't dictate where we stay! They just want to know where we are staying. The foreigner gives the (first) address they will be staying at when the enter, and someone at that address is supposed to confirm the arrival/stay. Every time the foreigner moves to a different residence someone should report the arrival/stay. That is how the system is supposed to track us. It falls down because not most Thais don't know that they are supposed to register a foreigner staying at their private residence.

Edited by elviajero

On ‎10‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 7:54 PM, enkiki said:

What are your thoughts? ????  Personally I don't have any issues with this but is this legal first?

Of course its legal, they are the same as in my country, IRD and fisheries have more power than the police, they can search your house and boat without a warrant anytime.

Of course its legal, and has been going on since the seventies, pspt or ID Card copy from all hotels, I knew a courier in Bangkok, his sole job waste relier Foreigners in about 10 Hotels.

It's their country.  We are lucky here, in Vietnam the Hotel keeps your passport............many horror stories of robbers taking all the passports and selling them - I give them an expired passport and keep my original.

Edited by TunnelRat69

This still doesnt make sense, as @stgrhe said in an earlier post, TM30 has nothing to do with the condo office, its not their job or responsibility. The condo office isnt the owner, possessor or house master for individually owned condos.

The only thing I can think is its an older "apartment" block (one person owns the whole block) and then the office would be responsible for TM30s.

Sure, TM30s are legal, but not asking the condo office to do them. There would be no legal grounds to hand over your passport etc to the condo office.

Edited by Peterw42

11 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

This still doesnt make sense, as @stgrhe said in an earlier post, TM30 has nothing to do with the condo office, its not their job or responsibility. The condo office isnt the owner, possessor or house master for individually owned condos.

The only thing I can think is its an older "apartment" block (one person owns the whole block) and then the office would be responsible for TM30s.

Sure, TM30s are legal, but not asking the condo office to do them. 

Well basically the Juristic in my condo is requesting landlords to provide passport copies and rental contract of foreign tenants. However, if a landlord does not comply with this request, it's a dead end isn't it? It's as if he was not renting his unit to any foreigner.

Yes, he is breaking the law of not reporting the foreigner to Immigration, which exposes him to a 2,000 baht fine if caught, but there is no law saying he is obliged to provide these details to the Juristic of his building. ????

Edited by lkv
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, lkv said:

Well basically the Juristic my condo is requesting landlords to provide passport copies and rental contracts. However, if a landlord does not comply with this request, it's a dead end isn't it? It's as he was not renting his unit to any foreigner.

Yes, he is breaking the law of not reporting the foreigner to Immigration, which exposes him to a 2,000 baht fine if caught, but there is no law saying he is obliged to provide these details to the Juristic of his building. ????

Condo juristic cant really go asking for owners or tenants passports. They manage the common property not who is inside each condo. 

4 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Condo juristic cant really go asking for owners or tenants passports. They manage the common property not who is inside each condo. 

Well no, that's why they put it in the elevator. That landlords "must" provide passport copies and rental contracts to Juristic of foreign tenants.

So the Juristic is building the database for the Immigration Police to collect at a later time.

Edited by lkv

9 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

What they can/can't do depends on the terms of the condo ownership. They only ask for passports from foreigners because it is their ID.

I would have thought a condo management would have every right/expectation to know who is living in their building. Especially those that have occupancy conditions attached to ownership.

19 minutes ago, elviajero said:

What they can/can't do depends on the terms of the condo ownership. They only ask for passports from foreigners because it is their ID.

I would have thought a condo management would have every right/expectation to know who is living in their building. Especially those that have occupancy conditions attached to ownership.

Yes, I can fully understand a chanote or a lease to show you own or rent the condo, and therefore have access to the common property, security etc. Its stepping outside their jurisdiction to ask for passport etc so they can do immigration reports. 

Sure, collect information to run the block but collecting information to pass on to 3rd parties isnt really part of the authority or responsibility. Especially when they are not an entity that can do TM30s, they are not a hotel, the owner, the possessor, the house master. The office is no different to the girl in 7/11 in that regard.

Edited by Peterw42

13 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Its stepping outside their jurisdiction to ask for passport etc so they can do immigration reports. 

Someone is responsible to report each foreigner staying in the building to immigration. It makes sense to me that the condo management collect all the information centrally. Otherwise immigration could, or wold have to, go knocking on every door. I know which I'd prefer.

I think people are over thinking this!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, elviajero said:

Someone is responsible to report each foreigner staying in the building to immigration. 

No they are not.

Each condo is a separate residence. The owner of each condo is responsible for reporting a foreigner staying in their unit.

It is NOT for the Juristic Person to do this.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

This still doesnt make sense, as @stgrhe said in an earlier post, TM30 has nothing to do with the condo office, its not their job or responsibility...

The opening post of this topic does not give me the impression that this is about the TM.30, ie the notification of the arrival of foreigners at the condominium building.

49 minutes ago, Fred345 said:
2 hours ago, elviajero said:

Someone is responsible to report each foreigner staying in the building to immigration. 

No they are not.

Each condo is a separate residence. The owner of each condo is responsible for reporting a foreigner staying in their unit.

I didn't say it was.

On 10/18/2018 at 8:28 PM, samsensam said:

my condo has a copy of my passport and has to record and submit details of all foreigners living here to the police, it has been happening it for years, as i'm here legally i have absolutely no issue with this. i believe it is common practice and maybe a legal requirement for condo owners to do this? a friend who owns a guest house told me guest houses and hotels have to record and submit details of guests to the police every night.

I think this rule has been legal for ages, i remember a motorbike cop used to come around and collect the list every day from guesthouses

Maybe they didn't enforce it in all districts but all owners /manager's can be fined 10k if they fail to report a guest 

now it's probably fully computerised they have even less excuses if they don't bother to send the email

2 hours ago, Fred345 said:

No they are not.

It is a matter of convenience, both for owners and for immi. Smoothest way to handle it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

Yes, I can fully understand a chanote or a lease to show you own or rent the condo, and therefore have access to the common property, security etc. Its stepping outside their jurisdiction to ask for passport etc so they can do immigration reports. 

Sure, collect information to run the block but collecting information to pass on to 3rd parties isnt really part of the authority or responsibility. Especially when they are not an entity that can do TM30s, they are not a hotel, the owner, the possessor, the house master. The office is no different to the girl in 7/11 in that regard.

Well, their reasoning is:

Not registered / non resident guests are not allowed to use the common facilities. They wrote that as well in the poster. Which is rubbish. They are doing it for:

A. To stop AirBnb rentals (which is in line with another poster from a few months ago in regards to AirBnb).

B. To pass over the database to Immi.

When Juristic gets a knock on their door from Immigration Police here in Thailand, I reckon the last thing they consider is the legality of all this.

Edited by lkv
  • Like 1

When renewing my yearly rental contract recently I was asked to give copies of my current visa or extension of stay stamp. I've never been asked for this before on updating a contract, including with my current landlord, so things might well have tightened up on the Thai side. 

On 10/19/2018 at 6:22 PM, GalaxyMan said:

I was under the impression that subletting/AirBnb is illegal in Thailand. Does anyone know if this is indeed correct?

Have you been here long? “Illegal” is only an issue for a few weeks then it’s back to business as usual. We have several units listed there and haven’t had a single problem. But to be fair, we also don’t allow people from certain nationalities. 

The Thais don’t follow the rules so when in Rome....

12 hours ago, lkv said:

Well, their reasoning is:

Not registered / non resident guests are not allowed to use the common facilities. They wrote that as well in the poster. Which is rubbish. They are doing it for:

A. To stop AirBnb rentals (which is in line with another poster from a few months ago in regards to AirBnb).

B. To pass over the database to Immi.

When Juristic gets a knock on their door from Immigration Police here in Thailand, I reckon the last thing they consider is the legality of all this.

That’s a big IF and IF that ever happened, a cash payment would be required and you’re right back to what you’re doing.

Reading through ThaiVisa confirms that most expats living here haven’t a clue how things really work. There is the law, whatever that means, and then there is reality, which is the Thai way. There’s a reason the place is dysfunctional and beyond repair.

• Like 1

In my condo building the same sign about registering was posted shortly after a sign about short term rentals through air bnb was illegal and condo management was going to be monitoring the website.

however since almost nobody in my building registered (and actually when I was asked I told them to get the information from the owner) the sign was removed after a couple weeks.