When Thailand and Australia were joined, tectonically speaking

webfact

The Converation

Screen-Shot-2018-10-19-at-12.38.28-pm-748x455.jpg

The beaches of Koh Phangan are set within rocky crags made of granites, the type of rocks studied to piece Thailand to Australia. Photo: Romana Dew

Australia is slowly heading north to one day become part of Asia, but a study of the rocks tells Adelaide researchers Alan Collins and Romana Dew that it’s not the first time there’s been a connection.

Thousands of Australians travel to Thailand each year to lie on a beach at Phuket, meditate at a Buddhist temple in Ayutthaya, spot wild elephants at Khao Yai National Park, or go on some other adventure.

But how many realise that beneath their feet, the framework of the country once formed part of the same continent as Australia? Our new research, published in Lithos, uncovered the deep links between Australia and Thailand, rebuilding the geography of this part of the ancient supersized continent Gondwana.

Full story: https://indaily.com.au/news/science-and-tech/2018/10/19/when-thailand-and-australia-were-joined-tectonically-speaking/

-- IN DAILY Adelaide 2018-10-19

Does that mean in the future Australians can live in Thailand without a visa?

Australian aboriginals are believed to have migrated from SEAsia thousands of years ago when one could walk before sea levels rose.

Alot of Isaan and southern Thais have aboriginal features particularly their noses and skin colour.

Not being racist, just a fact.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, GreasyFingers said:

The trouble with the report is that Australia is moving in a NE direction  and not towards Thailand. Even if it was it is only moving 150 cm per year so would take a long time to get here.

Australia is moving NE toward Papua New Guinea in order to reconnect with the thousands of migrants it has sent there!

Meanwhile, if you want a feel of Australia, the outback landscape, not the people, visit Zimbabwe...there you really feel a sense of a former geological connection...not so much in Thailand...

30 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

Australia is moving NE toward Papua New Guinea in order to reconnect with the thousands of migrants it has sent there!

Meanwhile, if you want a feel of Australia, the outback landscape, not the people, visit Zimbabwe...there you really feel a sense of a former geological connection...not so much in Thailand...

But that was so long ago.

And we do not send migrants to PNG. They are illegal aliens, similar to what Thailand has.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, PatOngo said:

High time for all Australians to learn to speak Thai. Can you send some quality Thai language teachers? :whistling:

Or Thais to speak English...or the Australian mutilated version of it

• Like 1

8 hours ago, lanista said:

Does that mean in the future Australians can live in Thailand without a visa?

Australian aboriginals are believed to have migrated from SEAsia thousands of years ago when one could walk before sea levels rose.

Alot of Isaan and southern Thais have aboriginal features particularly their noses and skin colour.

Not being racist, just a fact.

Act like them too.  :cheesy:

4 hours ago, Russell17au said:

Does that mean that I can take this to Thai Immigration and tell them that I am really a Thai but I got stuck on the wrong side of the channel when the water rose and that I want my right Thai ID recognized and I don't want to be included as one of those pesky farangs that cause nothing but trouble. The thought of no more visa extensions, 90 day reports, have my own Thai ID card, Blue House book because I can legally buy property in my own name, go and join "Big Joke" and help him get rid of all those filthy pesky lawbreaking farangs. How beautiful Thailand would be.

And buy Vegemite & Pecks Paste without the import duty.

16 hours ago, Odysseus123 said:

Ah!...Pecks Paste..anchovette

You must have been trained by the KGB you torturing swine..!????

You can go free if, after 12 VB's you can tell the difference between a Bovril and a Vegemite sandwich in a blind tasting.

Edited by overherebc
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, overherebc said:

You can go free if, after 12 VB's you can tell the difference between a Bovril and a Vegemite sandwich in a blind tasting.

It is a little known historical fact that the Bovril Mark IV tank  first saw action in August 1918 and it was a huge success.

For,whilst the doughty Tuetons could withstand shot and shell, the prospect of being squirted by lukewarm bovril with a follow up bombardment of digestic biscuits was too much for the average frontkampfer to contemplate with any degree of equanimity...

4 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

It is a little known historical fact that the Bovril Mark IV tank  first saw action in August 1918 and it was a huge success.

For,whilst the doughty Tuetons could withstand shot and shell, the prospect of being squirted by lukewarm bovril with a follow up bombardment of digestic biscuits was too much for the average frontkampfer to contemplate with any degree of equanimity...

Just imagine a 15 pound block of rancid bully beef fired though a smooth bore barrel!!! or rancid turkey with the parson's nose outward at sea, the enemy would go straight to the bottom. ????

• Haha 1

I'm slowing starting to feel the connection, now I understand why I did these stupid things at times in my life...…..mai phen rai!...……………………….I'm hungry.