‘Big Joke’ vows to get rid of 7,000 overstaying foreigners by end of month

webfact

2 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Thx for your reply but guessing doesn't help getting a renewal next year... which is why I put the question out there to get some clarification..

if it's not ok they will not renew your visa in which case were stuffed !

My point was as a British subject now living here on a retirement visa I will have to produce evidence of either 800,000 baht in my account for 3 months prior to renewal or 65,000 baht deposited each month

I have stated I have no wish to have 800,000 baht tied up in a Thai bank so I will opt for the latter.

If I open a new account in my name only, deposit 65,000 baht into it each month then a couple of days later I withdraw the same to spend as I wish, will this be acceptable?

I do-not wish for privacy reasons want to show all my other bank transactions, ie deposits, withdrawls including my wife's financial affairs as we have a joint account...

There will not be any answer. Sorry. Anyone pretending to know is full of sh*t. Nobody knows. We will simply see. And even then it will be different in different immigration offices and even different depending on if somchai woke up in a good or a bad mood..

But. I will repeat my personal experience with Thai beuracracy.... They have stupid rules and crazy illogical enforcement... But, if you smile and make an honest attempt of following the rules and play along with jumping whatever extra hoops they want you to jump this will go a long way... And you are clearly trying to follow the rules.  now just practice the smile and odds will be in your favor..

Again, nobody knows.

Godspeed.

Oh, and I would let go of the principle of privacy if I really wanted to minimize my chances of trouble. 

They will probably not respect your privacy but rather find you annoying if you start yapping about privacy and you don't want to annoy beuracrats that hold power over you...

Edited by hobz
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, hotchilli said:

I do-not wish for privacy reasons want to show all my other bank transactions, ie deposits, withdrawls including my wife's financial affairs as we have a joint account...

Yes, I understand you, but if they (the government) would be interested, they would have no problem at all to have a peek at your transactions. I'll bet you and your wife have debit/credit cards that would reveal all your transactions using them.

On 10/19/2018 at 1:57 PM, ratcatcher said:

"If it makes life easier then why not use these services?"

Why not? Because they are "dodgy" or illegal.

I too am a decent bloke living a quiet life in my dotage and contributing to the local economy. I choose to play by the rules, which are not that onerous, laid down by the Thais, as do the vast majority of expats residing here on a "regular" basis.. I disagree with graft and cutting corners, which is why I applaud Major General Big Joke for his "winds of change" approach.

“Dodgy” and “illegal” in Thailand go hand and hand. It makes the country run and starts at the lowest level and goes all the way to the highest. It’s how their society functions if you dare to call Thailand a functional society.

The fact that you don’t understand this is why you’ll eventually lose here. Probably when you’re too old or broke and unable to do anything about it, you’ll have the rug pulled out from under you when you least expect it. A new visa policy that puts you just out of reach of the requirements is just a different Somchai and a pen stroke away. 

In a country built around cutting corners, those who don’t cut them will always serve the ones who do. 

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, 55Jay said:

If he tried this sort of stunt in my country, he would be tarred and feathered as a racist by the MSM, resulting in death threats from fruits and nuts on both sides of the Mississippi River.

That's assuming of course he did survive the school shootings when he was younger

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, EricTh said:

I am not sure but I thought it is 65000 baht every month for at least 3 months? You can't just deposit 65000 today , withdraw tomorrow and then deposit again next month.

Then they only need you to have max 65000 baht at any one time. 

I'm not sure either.. but

I thought it was 800,000 baht invested for 3 months or

a minimum deposit of 65,000 baht income per month to show you have the ability to fund yourself for that month, which means you would have to withdraw it to live?

If 65,000 was required for 3 months then no-one would deposit the 800,000.. does that make sense?

Maybe I should try the British embassy and see what they have to say as they've declined to support us from January 2019 

10 hours ago, utalkin2me said:

You mean the address they filled out on the immigration form (chuckling). ????

Yeah if that's the only thing they have. But could also be whatever they put in their most recent 90 day report or whatever address they have associated with whatever Thai bank accounts or driving license or whatever .. many places to find addresses... But very easy to hide if u want.

As someone who drives here regularly I would prefer he was removing 7,000 unlicensed drivers from the roads. I understand there is much more publicity and photo ops from going after foreigners but thousands of Thais aren’t being killed because of overstayers.

On 10/19/2018 at 8:26 PM, marcusarelus said:

The problems with commenting on local issues while living thousands of miles away are obvious.  There has been some drastic changes in the last couple of weeks.  I won't go into it because my pearls of wisdom would be lost and might actually cause harm so I'll just be quiet and wait and see if there is an improvement. 

Oh tell us-oh wise one-your pearls of wisdom since you live in the land.  The unwashed masses await for you to pontificate like the oracle you are, so that we may humbly see with clearer vision. 

On 10/19/2018 at 1:34 PM, Father Fintan Stack said:

I know a few people using these kinds of services.

Most are decent blokes living a quiet life in their 50's and 60's and contributing to the local economy. 

Many have the money but quite rightly don't want to keep it in a Thai bank account in perpetuity.

Graft and cutting corners is the Thai way of doing things, visas and suchlike have never been any different. If it makes life easier then why not use these services? 

The service is their to use,an elderly peron doesn't want 800,000Baht stuck in the bank in his die in years. But I thought The money has to be n your account 3 months before applying 

For a one year visa.

On 10/19/2018 at 1:57 PM, ratcatcher said:

"If it makes life easier then why not use these services?"

Why not? Because they are "dodgy" or illegal.

I too am a decent bloke living a quiet life in my dotage and contributing to the local economy. I choose to play by the rules, which are not that onerous, laid down by the Thais, as do the vast majority of expats residing here on a "regular" basis.. I disagree with graft and cutting corners, which is why I applaud Major General Big Joke for his "winds of change" approach.

Winds of change or  just a large fart?

• Haha 2