One step closer to legalisation

rooster59

Let's be clear about one thing:

Cannabis is NOT just THC and always gives one a high - gets stoned!

Cannabis has a lot more to offer than using a single compound to get stoned.

The main psychoactive part of cannabis is delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), one of 483 known compounds in the plant.
It is a complex plant, with major compounds such as (THC) and cannabidiol (CBD), which have opposing effects.

Thus, when taken in combination and at the correct ratios there is no high!

If one studies the human brain you will see that it has hundreds of receptors for cannibinoids.

As a kid, if we were out playing and ran into a bunch of nettles, we would always find natures antidote nearby - Dock Leaves.

dockleaves.jpg.ffead809fca34dd194fd832244f16078.jpg

Is cannabis a natural antidote for some illnesses?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, heybuz said:

I agree,I smoked weed when younger and it just didn't agree with me, every body has a different reaction to different drugs ,if I may use that term ,for me it was acute paranoia.

Personably I don't agree with anyone under the age of 21 (undeveloped brain) smoking cannabis. It can be very detrimental. A friend of mine (drug councilor) dealt with a lot of schizophrenia with clients who started smoking cannabis in their teen years. As a medicine, there can be positive benefits for youngsters with cancer ect, which do not have the same effect as smoking.

With adults (developed brain) smoking has a different effect. I smoked when I was 19, and it made me laugh and be silly, then I stopped for 10 years. When I was 30+ I smoked it for a few years it and helped me with spondylitis and asthma. I am a bit older now and suffer with nothing anymore.

• Like 1

Guest Jerry787

Welcome to the proposal and let hope the first step will succeed asap, legalize cannabis for medical purpose and later for recreational use.

its time the bigot and insane law to condem who use cannabis to be abolished and no more witch hunts

2 hours ago, heybuz said:

I agree,I smoked weed when younger and it just didn't agree with me, every body has a different reaction to different drugs ,if I may use that term ,for me it was acute paranoia.

Did it ever occur to you that, when you are using a substance making you liable to arrest and possible incarceration, paranoia is a perfectly understandable reaction..

You know the old saying.. "It's not paranoia if they really are after you!"

????

4 hours ago, 7by7 said:

Don't kid yourself. Like any drug, there are dangerous side effects.

For example from Cannabis and mental health from the Royal College of Psychiatrists in the UK.

I used it a lot in my twenties, and now in my sixties I have memory gaps of those years. Is there a connection? Probably.

Use it for the high if you wish, but don't kid yourself that it's harmless.

As for driving after use; don't. It reduces reaction time and awareness much like alcohol, but remains in the system for longer. Stoned drivers are as bad and deserve the same punishment as drunk drivers.

As an  ex -stoner  I can  agree only  about the  memory gaps. But only about what I would consider  minor  recall of unimportant events.

I would  concede to the fact that it  is  not  harmless  but  not that it  is as  "dangerous" as alcohol  or the proliferate  synthetic  nightmareish  items  that have in their time  been created  to replace it  before  becoming  made illegal  for very much more valid reason.

The  psychiatric issue is pertinent  only in that psychiatrics that suffer disorders are susceptible to  many/any substance that tips the balance  of control in  the state they already exist  in. The primary  agent  of that is  alcohol  yet in general terms  few  would  now  contemplate criminalizing the  consumption of  it. 

The currently  recognized  evidence is  that  "stoned " drivers  are  much less involved  in driving "accidents" than drunk drivers. And  certainly less  in  driving accidents leading to fatalities.

The criminalisation  of  anything  attributes  it a false value which in turn can be attributed  to  the  criminal activity involving  death, extortion, corruption . Those  are  the  aspects  of THC  which  are the  biggest  arguable factor  in  decriminalization. 

Allow the  inevitable percentage of dependency and  concentrate  on the  addictive  mind and  socially  destroying substances that have been manufactured as a more profitable less detectable alternative ! 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Dumbastheycome said:

As an  ex -stoner  I can  agree only  about the  memory gaps. But only about what I would consider  minor  recall of unimportant events.

If you cannot remember, how do you know that it is only "minor recall of unimportant events?"

As for the psychiatric issues; it is true that, as The Lancet report I linked to earlier says, the evidence does not prove beyond any doubt that schizophrenia and other mental illness is caused by cannabis use, or even whether sufferers were predisposed towards the illness and that predisposition was triggered by cannabis use. But there is sufficient evidence to show that there is a credible link which potential users should be made aware of.

What I simply cannot understand is why some people continue to deny that such a link exists. In a very similar way that tobacco companies used to deny the link between tobacco and cancer!

15 hours ago, Denim said:

So many governments apparently getting it so wrong for so long.

Too late for me. With high blood pressure to deal with won't be smoking anything at all ever again.

Here in California, the shops sell edibles, ie gummy worms, hard candy or chocolates. I haven’t tried any as my employer likes to look at my urine.

1 hour ago, 7by7 said:

But, to be frank, you do seem to be misunderstanding me.

Am I against the use of cannabis and cannabis derived products for medicinal purposes? No.

Am I against the use of cannabis for recreational purposes? No; not even skunk. In fact I am not against the use of any drug for recreational purposes.

Furthermore, I am in favour of legalising all recreational drug use; despite a friend of mine dying through using crack.

Legalising all recreational drugs will

• take them out of the hands of criminals;
  • users will get the proper product, instead of one which has been cut with a possibly poisonous product such as weed killer (which is what killed my friend);
  • go a long way towards keeping these drugs out of the hands of children;
  • governments will make money through taxes rather than spending money on enforcement (which doesn't work anyway).

OK, some drugs are more addictive than others and this, like alcoholism now, will cause problems for some people; but I truly believe that making all recreational drugs legal will solve more problems than it will create.

But, and this was the point of my original response to @namatjira,  all drug use, recreational or medicinal, carries risks, including cannabis. Just as most (all?) countries now have health warnings on cigarettes and other tobacco products, people should be made aware of those risks.

Well said and I agree with your post.

My point is that when legalised, will Bigpharma take over?

If the only legal cannabis can be obtained from the drug companies, that would be wrong on so many levels.

If I could, I would grow some and juice it!

Personally, I am not a user.

I have tried it and it was fun.

However, I didn't try it until I was almost 60.

IMHO. it is far less dangerous than alcohol which includes organ damage as one of it's side effects.

At any venue where alcohol is involved there is often violence, even death.

At somewhere like a rock festival - Peace Man!

4 hours ago, Amusements said:

Personably I don't agree with anyone under the age of 21 (undeveloped brain) smoking cannabis. It can be very detrimental. A friend of mine (drug councilor) dealt with a lot of schizophrenia with clients who started smoking cannabis in their teen years. As a medicine, there can be positive benefits for youngsters with cancer ect, which do not have the same effect as smoking.

With adults (developed brain) smoking has a different effect. I smoked when I was 19, and it made me laugh and be silly, then I stopped for 10 years. When I was 30+ I smoked it for a few years it and helped me with spondylitis and asthma. I am a bit older now and suffer with nothing anymore.

...but schizophrenics don't get cancer. Look it up.  Paradigm challenging stuff.

Ahem, ... just sayin'

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Denim said:

Too late for me. With high blood pressure to deal with won't be smoking anything at all ever again.

you dont have to smoke it?

lots of other ways like cakes  and can help with anxiety so no doubt blood pressure too

there is confusion if 'medical weed' will only be CBD not THC in some countries

• Like 1

6 hours ago, laislica said:

Let's be clear about one thing:

Cannabis is NOT just THC and always gives one a high - gets stoned!

Cannabis has a lot more to offer than using a single compound to get stoned.

The main psychoactive part of cannabis is delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), one of 483 known compounds in the plant.
It is a complex plant, with major compounds such as (THC) and cannabidiol (CBD), which have opposing effects.

Thus, when taken in combination and at the correct ratios there is no high!

If one studies the human brain you will see that it has hundreds of receptors for cannibinoids.

As a kid, if we were out playing and ran into a bunch of nettles, we would always find natures antidote nearby - Dock Leaves.

dockleaves.jpg.ffead809fca34dd194fd832244f16078.jpg

Is cannabis a natural antidote for some illnesses?

Good post I use it for arthritis, cbd oil is ok helps but lets be honest thc works far better

They need to do far more tests and not just on rats

• Like 1

17 hours ago, bobbin said:

You wonder why you are seeing reports like this in the news lately? Really?

The bill to re-schedule cannabis in Thailand is sponsored by the present government. It's a done deal.. These articles are what is necessary to prepare the people for an about-face after 40 years of suppression.

You are one of the opponents with outdated beliefs. This is understandable given the amount of "reefer madness" propaganda that people have been subjected to, in order to justify the drug war. Which, by the way, has been won..by drugs.

It's a new dawn.

and guess who owns (i think cbd plants) to export for medical use, yep the government

18 hours ago, boonrawdcnx said:

Wonder why this suddenly seems such an urgent issue to deal with?

One would think this country has more important things to deal with?

I can see already the traffic accident statistics climbing to new heights in addition to the drunks , the ones high on meth we will have the rest driving around stoned.

If there is money to be made - like with cigarettes - governments don’t seem to care if their citizens become addicted or not.

I can see already a huge black market developing not for “medical use” another great tea money earner for the police.

Wonder what their neighbors to the south have to say about that?

Malaysia and Singapore still have the death penalty - even for cannabis.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

what planet have you been living on?

lots on tv lately, they give to very sick children FAR better than chemicals from drs

think of the tax money it could help to solve other problems

i bet you drink alcohol

• Like 1

10 hours ago, peterb17 said:

Yes- but the medicinal oil etc - does not contain THC - does not get you high- and has proved effective in treating epilepsy etc. 

Anyone else experienced real pot heads - who are seemingly incapable of stringing two comprehensible words together ( and used to a while back call you ‘man ‘ all the time. 

Of course we do not dare to mention well documented increase of mental illness and impaired learning amongst young teenagers ? 

Wrong some oils contain THC in countries more advanced.

1 in 10 can get paranoid reactions, they should stop taking it.

the strong skunk from the street is more dangerous for teens, if governments controlled and tested it would be far better

if alcohol and cigs was invented today it would be banned.

you are living in the past....and very ignorant

8 hours ago, akirasan said:

Don't forget Michael Phelps. God what a lazy stoner he was.

Exactly Phil tuffnel the cricket player always had a joint before facing aussie bowlers

the list goes on far too many to post here

some people here are so uneducated

• Like 1

8 hours ago, laislica said:

Agreed, medical has no thc, however, those who use oil from the whole plant choose a ratio between cbd and thc and the ratio is different for every cancer. When the ratio is correct the results are best and there is no high.

If one smokes cannabis you will ingest large amounts of thc and virtually no cbds.
See, it’s about ratios.

The best step forward would be to invest in Gov funded, unbiased research into the medical use of cannabis - no patents!

Not a chance, follow the money!

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

THis is the confusion now in canada they call it medical with thc as they do in other countries

the uk are starting to prescribe it next month but is still unclear if cbd only

In the uk at moment only 0.24% of thc is legal which is in most oils

I hope it changes as thc has far more benefits

Edited by jimmynewbie

17 hours ago, bobbin said:

You wonder why you are seeing reports like this in the news lately? Really?

The bill to re-schedule cannabis in Thailand is sponsored by the present government. It's a done deal.. These articles are what is necessary to prepare the people for an about-face after 40 years of suppression.

You are one of the opponents with outdated beliefs. This is understandable given the amount of "reefer madness" propaganda that people have been subjected to, in order to justify the drug war. Which, by the way, has been won..by drugs.

It's a new dawn.

I'm really hoping the bill goes through to re-schedule cannabis. You mentioned that the bill is sponsored by the present government. Could you please provide any links to articles on this? Where did you see that the bill is sponsored by the present government? I'm not sure where to look online for more information on what's going on with this. 

1 minute ago, MasterHongThong said:

I'm really hoping the bill goes through to re-schedule cannabis. You mentioned that the bill is sponsored by the present government. Could you please provide any links to articles on this? Where did you see that the bill is sponsored by the present government? I'm not sure where to look online for more information on what's going on with this. 

Prayut or prawit own a farm and export it. (surprise surprise)

its online if you care to look i can not remember where i see it.

6 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Just think of how many happy campers there are going to be on Thai Visa when this comes to pass. I'll have to go look for a forum that still has some miserable sods on board.

I predict murders and road deaths will decrease

Hospitals will have more money

and thaivisa will be utopia lol

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, boonrawdcnx said:

Wonder why this suddenly seems such an urgent issue to deal with?

One would think this country has more important things to deal with?

I can see already the traffic accident statistics climbing to new heights in addition to the drunks , the ones high on meth we will have the rest driving around stoned.

If there is money to be made - like with cigarettes - governments don’t seem to care if their citizens become addicted or not.

I can see already a huge black market developing not for “medical use” another great tea money earner for the police.

Wonder what their neighbors to the south have to say about that?

Malaysia and Singapore still have the death penalty - even for cannabis.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

This has been talked about for years. Pay attention. What you have now is a black market and some people say it is enriching the police and military. Legalizing it makes more above board and crimps the black market. Only difficult to understand if you are philosophically opposed.

• Thanks 1

Sorry to say but your post shows that you have little understanding of the situation here. Currently, the revenue collection agents (police) make a fortune on the pot trade. They arrest tourists for as little as one joint and extort tens of thousands baht out of them. Legalizing it recreationally would deprive them of that income stream. All good right?

Addicted? To pot? It is infinitely less harmful than alcohol. And far fewer traffic accidents than with alcohol. Read up on this. 

Malaysia and Singapore are lost in space when it comes to sentencing for pot convictions. They are living in the middle ages with bizarre notions about it. 

I just mentioned Malaysia and Singapore because - I hope not - but it will only be a question of time until the first ignorant tourists will cross the border from Thailand with a little bit of “legal” pot - and they will be in for the shock of their lifetime!

Also most of the replies here make it look like they are going to legalize cannabis in Thailand for recreational use??

This is certainly not the case - the “medical purpose” is nothing but an excuse to make money and they are very likely eying production for export and not for domestic use.

And who decides? A Thai doctor? With a prescription? Yes I see a little problem with this - Because most so-called higher educated Thais and that certainly includes doctors consider people taking drugs - and for them drugs include Cannabis - as criminals who should be put in prison.

As for the health benefits - I remember very well working offshore and we used to identify those who where smoking pot by that terrible deep chronic cough they seemed to have all the time .
I was in a car accident in Brazil when a Brazilian friend of mine lost control because he was high on pot - crashed into several other parked cars and we luckily escaped with minor injuries and even more lucky he did not hit any of the people around partying on the street.

I am not talking about people taking it responsibly - when I talked about accidents I am talking about locals jumping on motorbikes and into cars stoned - joining the mayhem that made them win the number one spot in the world for traffic deaths!

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 10/20/2018 at 8:36 AM, Denim said:

There are some differences when it comes to marijuana and high blood pressure in the short term versus the long-term. When someone first consumes marijuana, they will often experience a moderate increase in both blood pressure and heart rate. Then, following that initial spike, they will have a decrease in blood pressure. Once someone has a tolerance to marijuana after using it for a period of time, they often don’t experience the spike in blood pressure at all after consuming marijuana. Instead, with longer-term use of marijuana blood pressure may be reduced, and anecdotal evidence shows that some people do use marijuana as a way to help them keep their blood pressure at a healthy level. With that being said, there has also been conflicting research showing that marijuana has been associated with some cardiovascular risks over the long-term including higher blood pressure. The research that was recently released about marijuana and high blood pressure did have some issues with methodology that should be addressed, however. First, it was an observational study looking at marijuana and high blood pressure, so there were no controls. It was also a study that used the term marijuana user loosely, and it referred to anyone who participated in the study and had tried marijuana. There are a few other things to consider when discussing marijuana and high blood pressure. The first is that if you do use marijuana, it may increase your appetite and lead you to make poor dietary choices, so in this way, it could indirectly affect blood pressure. Also, if you are smoking marijuana as opposed to consuming it in other ways, it can be detrimental to your cardiovascular health, just as smoking cigarettes is.