Krabi residents up in arms over mine

webfact

Krabi residents up in arms over mine

By The Nation

4a652b2f2374b0cf9fa980bd8ccf1f9c.jpeg

OVER A hundred residents in Krabi province yesterday staged a rally against an attempt to operate a dolomite mine in their community.

The residents of Moo 3 in Tambon Din Daeng of Lamtab district gathered in front of Phlu mountain near their village to oppose the project. They demanded that the Department of Primary Industries and Mines review the project.

A mining company has sought concession to operate a dolomite mine in the area from the department and the project is now in the process of public hearing.

The residents, however, did not want to see the project in operation in their community, as they were worried about the impacts of the mining activity. Some 500 families live in the community and up to 1, 000 families in the nearby areas could be affected, they claimed.

The residents said they had already decided to pursue culture-based tourism, as auspicious white elephants were once discovered in the area. 

They said Krabi province has already chosen their community and nearby areas for its eco-tourism efforts, because of their innovative way of life.

The mining operations, hence, would go against the eco-tourism effort, they argued.

The villagers are now collecting signatures to support their campaign and would submit the list to those concerned.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30356892

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-10-22

2 hours ago, happy chappie said:

They should think of the employment and prosperity it would bring to the area but then again that would mean hard work and they've got their eyes on the bigger fish of tourists.

Read up on some of the disastrous effects on local communities in Thailand that mining has inflicted in the past.

Not at all hard to see why they don't want it right on their doorstep.

26 minutes ago, edwinchester said:

Read up on some of the disastrous effects on local communities in Thailand that mining has inflicted in the past.

Not at all hard to see why they don't want it right on their doorstep.

Yes we all understand what sort of environmental impact mining has but properly managed most of the problems can be minimal.if you look in the picture there's about a dozen protesters so it's hardly going to effect many people who will probably be compensated.its the price we have to pay for progress in this world with an ever increasing population and it's demands.hard to say anymore until the studies are done.

24 minutes ago, happy chappie said:

Yes we all understand what sort of environmental impact mining has but properly managed most of the problems can be minimal.if you look in the picture there's about a dozen protesters so it's hardly going to effect many people who will probably be compensated.its the price we have to pay for progress in this world with an ever increasing population and it's demands.hard to say anymore until the studies are done.

There is a very bad track record of environmental matters being 'properly managed' here so I understand their concerns.

As for compensation claimants will have to wait decades for any judgement and then probably not even get that.

Archived