Five killed in Si Sa Ket as cars collide in fog

webfact

Five killed in Si Sa Ket as cars collide in fog

By The Nation

aHR0cHM6Ly9zLmlzYW5vb2suY29tL25zLzAvdWQvMTUxMC83NTUwMDI2L25ld3MxNi5qcGc=.jpg

Picture: Sanook

Poor visibility in fog is being blamed for a two-car collision in Si Sa Ket on Monday morning that left five people dead.

A medical student, three teachers and a young girl were killed when their cars collided head-on on Si Sa Ket-Ubon Ratchathani Road in Kantharom district.

Pol Capt Thaweesak Chansong said medical student Pasawat Wannapassinee, 22, of Ubon Ratchathani was killed behind the wheel of his car.

The other four casualties were in the second car – teachers Akeruethai Wongchalad, 32, Usaneee Simrum, 51 and driver Kingkarn Wongchalad, 60, along with Nakamol Wongchalad, 10.

There was no divider in the road where the vehicles collided.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30356922

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-10-22

6 minutes ago, webfact said:

Poor visibility in fog is being blamed for a two-car collision in Si Sa Ket on Monday morning that left five people dead.

Nothing to do with drivers not being responsible and adapting the different weather/driving conditions then.

As a previous poster said, why don't they ban the fog. Article 44 can take care of that - we know the PM has everyone's well being at heart.

Poor visibility is being blamed ....................... Looking at that written off car it was speed to blame , why oh why is the weather allways at fault.

About 50 years ago in a pea souper I was riding home slowly on my motor bike and a car was following for about 20 mins. My parents house was in a quiet private road , I thought the driver knew me but after parking my bike and switching off the lights this chap who was lost and myself managed to laugh about this freezing fog.  But that night and many others like it I never saw any reckless driving in those conditions.

Even in rain they don't turn on their lights and reduce speed. They will never learn the fact that making yourself visible to the other drivers is also important.

Same as aquaplaning  huh?  what is that? Also the main reason for some other accidents yesterday.

1 hour ago, Esso49 said:

So they are blaming the fact that there was no divider in the road , rather then carelessness of the drivers ? RIP to the people who passed away

In the states, I lived in a area that gets extreme fog conditions as the ocean air pushes clouds and causes them to back up against coastal hills.  There are few road dividers.  The better safety precaution for foggy conditions are botts' dots.  They were mandated in California over 50 years ago.  I've never seen them in Thailand.

Farmhillblvd_zpszwqnmtjh.jpg

16 minutes ago, zaphod reborn said:

In the states, I lived in a area that gets extreme fog conditions as the ocean air pushes clouds and causes them to back up against coastal hills.  There are few road dividers.  The better safety precaution for foggy conditions are botts' dots.  They were mandated in California over 50 years ago.  I've never seen them in Thailand.

Farmhillblvd_zpszwqnmtjh.jpg

A couple of good skid marks there in the pic....But I agree 100% with the raised cats eyes. 

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Poor visibility in fog is being blamed

That's a lame excuse. If the visibility was so bad that they couldnt see their own line (they did a head on collision), they should have bring their vehicles to a halt or crawling speed.

Just when you feel so Oh so comfortable surrounded by all that leather and chrome, take another look at the picture and try not to feel so comfortable. Tin and foil, don't handle crashes well. It does not take a crash at a particularly high speed. Two vehicles x 100 kms x head on = 200 kms x velocity, etc.

2 hours ago, Vacuum said:

That's a lame excuse. If the visibility was so bad that they couldnt see their own line (they did a head on collision), they should have bring their vehicles to a halt or crawling speed.

Hope they don't get any fog for the Thai New Year in April. I have read 900 killed over the 3 days holiday.

A Medical student and teachers? It would seem that education is not an aid to stop road accidents here. Did they have their lights on, or wasn't it the published lighting up time? Obviously going too fast in foggy conditions. It's hard to feel sorry for the drivers. R.I.P.

4 hours ago, RotMahKid said:

Even in rain they don't turn on their lights and reduce speed. They will never learn the fact that making yourself visible to the other drivers is also important.

Same as aquaplaning  huh?  what is that? Also the main reason for some other accidents yesterday.

I stand to be corrected, but I believe that turning headlights on in daylight is illegal in Thailand. Some countries make it illegal not to, but Thailand has to be different.

38 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I stand to be corrected, but I believe that turning headlights on in daylight is illegal in Thailand. Some countries make it illegal not to, but Thailand has to be different.

Which bar is it with internet? 

I don’t believe for a second that you’ve left your beer to provide us with that golden droplet of bar-stool wisdom.... 

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

It's been debated before at least twice on TVF in my time here no one ever produced any evidence in support of this notion.

i can go out tonight and see at east 2 vehicles coming down beach road Jomtien with no lights on whatso ever, never ceases to amaze me. oh thats discounting scooters thats a given, young thai guy in my condo complex, got a very nice 500 Honda sports bike, just taken the mirrors off, says, *make bike look better* <deleted>, is that about

6 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

It's been debated before at least twice on TVF in my time here no one ever produced any evidence in support of this notion.

It has been illegal in the past, I remember bikers been fined for having their lights on during daytime, but I think the law in that regard changed about a decade ago.

Since many years new bikes come with always on headlights and no light switch, same for new cars that have daytime lights built in.

7 hours ago, keith101 said:

Just the fog not the obviously fast speed to cause such damage , Thai people don't seem to be able to drive to the conditions .

People just don't seem able to drive.... regardless of conditions !

2 hours ago, NE1 said:

If it is raining or dark clouds above I always put my headlights on . 

Better to let them see me. As for it being illegal no worries , cos' I have never seen the police work in the rain.

If it is raining or dark clouds above I always put on my dark glasses khrap. Better not to see what might hit me, Bhudda will look after me khrap. As for it being illegal, mai pen rai khrap. 500 baht is mai peng, khrap...if they catch me, see Bhudda above......, and the police never work in the rain anyway.

4 hours ago, Gandtee said:

A Medical student and teachers? It would seem that education is not an aid to stop road accidents here. Did they have their lights on, or wasn't it the published lighting up time? Obviously going too fast in foggy conditions. It's hard to feel sorry for the drivers. R.I.P.

I find Thais even educated Thais do not read widely ... they are only versed in their profession and nothing else.. common sense and self awareness seems lacking... 

15 hours ago, Titan1962 said:

It all boils down to common sense,after living here for 3 yrs I now see that a lot of Thai drivers just don’t get it or have it. That’s why they have become number 1 in the world for road related deaths. Things will never change.

You forget, here there is nothing common in sense.....

Archived