Sustainability of Pattaya's shopping malls

sexyman

Just now, jrjrjr said:

This is clearly the truth that so many narrow minded grumpy expats will never be able to understand. How funny it is that they think that their low so life is all Thai people life...

most thai people are very poor in  western terms. 30-40 % are unemployed.

90-95% of the workers are earning starvation salaries of 6900-20000 baht a month.

so no, thai people do not support all those malls.

truth is that most malls in pattaya as well as in bangkok are surviving on tourists money,

be it farang or chinese.

another truth is that many malls and chain restaurants operate on borrowed money

and wdo not justofy their operations.

and truth is that in thailand there is a small group of very rich , who are so loaded

with money that they open more and more malls even if those malls lose.

one prove for that are the thai cinema chains.

you get the first world , state of the art cinemas, but most of them are usually

empty and don't show a profit.

i know cause i love going to movies in thailand. it allways feels like a private cinema.

the whole cinema hall just for yourself.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

90-95% of the workers are earning starvation salaries of 6900-20000 baht a month.

truth is that most malls in pattaya as well as in bangkok are surviving on tourists money,

be it farang or chinese.

another truth is that many malls and chain restaurants operate on borrowed money

and truth is that in thailand there is a small group of very rich , who are so loaded

you get the first world , state of the art cinemas, but most of them are usually

i know cause i love going to movies in thailand. it allways feels like a private cinema.

No Thai gets less than 9000 thb.

Unemployment rate is one of the lowest in the world.

Open your eyes, most Thai are not poor Esaan farmers ! I know more loaded Thai than I ever knew loaded farangs back home.

Do you also think that most Thai women work in bars ?

RIDICULOUS foreigner opinion.

Just now, jrjrjr said:

No Thai gets less than 9000 thb.

Unemployment rate is one of the lowest in the world.

Open your eyes, most Thai are not poor Esaan farmers !

YOU  are the one ho need to open eyes.

most thais ARE POOR EASARN FARMERS !!

and when you count them too, when you see the full picture, than

the real umemployment rate is 30-40%, and the min. salary de facto is 4000-5000 baht.

2 minutes ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

the real umemployment rate is 30-40%, and the min. salary de facto is 4000-5000 baht.

The unemployment rate for any Thai woman between the age of 18 and 45 who is even half way attractive is 0% because they could work in any beer bar...

Makes You Wonder... Ferangs come here, and in general get involved with a poor Thai Girl/Family, and overnight become Champions of the Poor. All rather weird to me. Back Home they didnt give a rats ass about poor, or would they be seen dead driving a Truck. The fools buy Gold for them , yet only spent a few $ on Dear Old Mom that raised them.

The unemployment rate for any Thai woman between the age of 18 and 45 who is even half way attractive is 0% because they could work in any beer bar...
The official unemployment rate is nonsense really, how many people do you see trying to sell food on the street who are lucky to sell a few things a day, plus those street hawkers, then you have the mobile furniture sellers etc etc.

Also how many girls Isaan parents are doing nothing up at the farm waiting for their money to turn up

Makes You Wonder... Ferangs come here, and in general get involved with a poor Thai Girl/Family, and overnight become Champions of the Poor. All rather weird to me. Back Home they didnt give a rats ass about poor, or would they be seen dead driving a Truck. The fools buy Gold for them , yet only spent a few $ on Dear Old Mom that raised them.
Having a truck here is almost mandatory along with the building a house

1 hour ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

be it farang or chinese.

Where are you getting 30-40% unemployment from, Thailand has full employment. 20k a month isnt starvation wages, thats what a teacher, bank worker, middle class Thai earns, with that they buy houses, cars, and go on overseas holidays. If 95% are on starvation wages, who is buying all the new cars on the roads, or the 80% home ownership rate.

I went to T21 with Thai friends and family today, they spent more money than I did, it looked like they were supporting the mall to me. 

38 minutes ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

How can most thais be poor issan farmers when the entire population of issan is only one third of the Thai population ?

On 10/23/2018 at 1:20 PM, champers said:

Unless you have personally invested in a mall, why worry?

You're a man/lady after my own heart...I often ask myself the same question. Lots of times I see on here questions like "Anybody know what they're building on so-and-so site"...and I say to myself "why would people concern themselves about such things"...I didn't even when back home...let alone a development somewhere in Asia?

You're a man/lady after my own heart...I often ask myself the same question. Lots of times I see on here questions like "Anybody know what they're building on so-and-so site"...and I say to myself "why would people concern themselves about such things"...I didn't even when back home...let alone a development somewhere in Asia?
Its a wonder you use a forum

35 minutes ago, HAKAPALITA said:

I often wonder about the trucks as well, Why the need for a truck if you live in BKK or Pattaya etc, a trip to Big C once a week.

On 10/23/2018 at 12:37 PM, sexyman said:

the Chinese have got many choices in China with the same goods easily available in there. 

Then why are the malls like Paragon loaded with only chinese going to the designershops?

They do the same in Europe and in Swiss they all go to those huge watchshops.( which even have chinese staff);

Malls are born and then they die. Who remembers December in Bangkok (I know this is the Pattaya sub-forum)? It remained on life support for around 3 years before finally succumbing. Asians are no slouches at redeveloping. It just gets knocked down and becomes something else, probably a condo nowadays.

20 hours ago, fforest1 said:

Well in Bangkok the number of malls is insane....Yet they keep building more and more all the time....Its hard to believe that Pattaya can support so many malls but it some how seems to...

The reason is clear - the traffic is so bad getting to the next one 500m away will take four hours. Pattaya is headed that way too, eternal gridlock, so expect malls every walking distance, which for Thais is about 50m.

1 hour ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

Give or take a couple of polar bears. I stopped going when my vision got too blurry from my teeth chattering together. They must have 50 Billion BTU units there to get it so close to absolute zero.

3 hours ago, Jingthing said:

All these amazing and wonderful unique new restaurants in there, yet the same old chains that already exist here other places were totally packed with Thais. Talk about being unadventurous.

Ah. Now that you mention it, yes, Thais use the "go to where it's full" strategy to avoid the places with crappy food. The savvy restaurateurs should hire some of the wondering farangs to sit at their place to make it look more popular. Which I think these freebies are all about, it's a death match, round 1.

10 hours ago, GWS said:

You would be suprised how many BBK people shop in Pattaya on weekends. Having 3-4 big shopping malls so close to each other, all within a 10-15 minute drive of each other is something that is not possible in most areas of Bangkok which makes Pattaya appealing for some.

So true.  The first thing my Bangkok relatives do when they come to visit is hit the malls.

9 minutes ago, newnative said:

The first thing my Bangkok relatives do when they come to visit is hit the malls.

Mine go to the seafood eateries at the end of Jomthien. Different folks, different strokes. Central brought in a mighty weekender invasion from BKK, especially when highway 7 was connected, but it has died down a fair bit as Pattaya got more and more congested. They probably figured could as well get stuck in traffic in BKK.

From an economical aspect, the sustainability of all the Shopping Malls in Pattaya really isnt an issue.

If a Mall ceases to be a viable source of revenue for the Developers, they will just close it down, and either sell the land at a huge prce, or develope yet another Condo on the site.

Its a win , win for them.

I had a quick look round T21 today and yes i still dislike walking around malls. The subsidised cheap food court will get people there, i doubt I'll go back

I'm currently going daily. On the way now. Haven't even tried the food court yet except for a decent 35 baht cappuccino. My first visit was a nightmare of crowded exhaustion but now that I know the layout I basically just head to where I'm going.

BTW does anyone know if the food court will raise prices after their three month free rent thing?

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Archived