Chulalongkorn University cancer research breakthrough

webfact

Cancer research breakthrough

By Pratch Rujivanarom 
The Nation

978028cbce5da6a01e0d61315044d38b.jpeg

Chula team says phase one yields success in bid to make cheaper biologic treatments but major funding boost needed

CHULALONGKORN University’s research team has reached the first milestone in developing an affordable biologic drug but needs Bt1.33 billion in funding to pursue the remaining phases of the study.

95b44fc9e089fa73593038926c5765b4.jpeg

Chulalongkorn Cancer Immunotherapy Excellence Centre announced at a press conference yesterday that its team had made progress in the research to develop immunotherapy treatment for cancer. 

The team said they had successfully extracted the prototype antibody from mice, and they should be able to develop cheaper domestically produced immunotherapy cancer drugs within eight years. 

Lead researcher Dr Trairak Pisitkun said the prototype developed from a mice antibody has proved to be as effective as imported biological drugs, and the team was inching closer to achieving further progress in the second phase.

“We are making good progress considering we began the research programme only in October last year,” he said. 

“However, we still have a long way to go before we can start producing biologic drugs at an affordable price. Immunotherapy currently costs up to Bt300,000 per dose in Thailand,” he said. Trairat explained that immunotherapy in some cases could cost as much as Bt8 million, which is far too expensive for many Thais.

“This project would help Thailand produce its own biologic drugs, which could cost just Bt20,000 per dose, and would overwhelmingly cut down reliance on imported drugs,” Trairak said.

“Moreover, it will promote the development of Thailand’s biologic drugs industry, which will benefit the economy.” 

Dr Nattiya Hirankarn, chief of the Chulolongkorn Cancer Immunotherapy Excellence Centre, said the centre was currently researching three immunotherapy treatment options – therapeutic antibody, cellular immunotherapy and personalised cancer vaccine. The study on therapeutic antibody or biologic drug for cancer had made the most progress, Nattiya said.

“Biologic drugs help strengthen a cancer patient’s immune system so it can efficiently combat cancer cells. The medicine unlocks the protection system of cancer cells and allows white blood cells to eliminate them without harming other parts of the body,” Nattiya explained.

It has been scientifically proved that biologic cancer immunotherapy can treat 15 types of cancer, including skin, lung, kidney, cervical and colorectal cancer without causing severe side effects.

6a59b4bc7cecb4aef573025025b6ce2e.jpeg

However, Chulalongkorn University’s Faculty of Medicine dean Dr Suttipong Wacharasindhu said research of this scale requires large sums of money, and even though the university has acquired a government budget of Bt160 million, it was far from enough to cover the entire project. Hence, the Cancer Immunotherapy Fund is trying to raise donations to help subsidise the programme. 

“As of yesterday, we have already received Bt73 million in donations. We are very grateful for the overwhelming response in a very short time,” he said. 

“However, our work is only in the initial phase, so we would like to seek continuous partnership and contributions for the path ahead.” 

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30357112

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-10-25

1 hour ago, Aussie999 said:

"Cancer Research Breahthrough" what bloody "breakthrough, from what I read they are only trying to produce a know product locally, or did I miss something.... wait, it's really about funds.... ah the baht.

You missed something, its about being able to produce the drug cheaper, ah the baht, your baht.

46 minutes ago, mikebell said:

Now there's just malaria and rabies left for the Thais to crack.  There's much research going on in the latter field; the University is leaving rabid dogs outside a number of 7-11s.

For rabies they might get the funds soon from Holland where they're collecting money to stop rabies in poor countries...they show many very sad ad's on tv daily about soidogs who look like it's their last day alive and for sure the Dutch will donate because they can't stand the sight of dogs being treated that way....

1 hour ago, jerojero said:

Just add it to the Ebola cure announced couple years ago.

They also claimed an HIV cure years before that place other dubious claims in other fields of research  Just smokescreens to attempt to convince the populace that Thailand's University research is on the up when by world standards it is in freefall as are the rest of their educational standards.  That's what the Elite and Junta want to control the masses in their 17th century approach to ensure personal enrichment.  These lot make the Nigerians look like petty thieves.

15 minutes ago, varun said:

Thai logic at it's best - large scale production BEFORE clinical trials?
What if the trial fails?

It's the rice scheme all over again.

I disagree.. you must indeed go to large scale production to see if its viable and what kind of problems you run into. This is of course not as large a production as later on for sale.

At first there is almost no production you must scale that up for all the other tests that need to be run. I am quite sure other companies do the same. After a prototype they always start a larger scale production to see if its possible.. then after tests even larger scale.

16 minutes ago, varun said:

What if the trial fails?

It would be kinda difficult to run a large scale trial without having produced the drug on a large scale, their steps are standard.

43 minutes ago, robblok said:

I disagree.. you must indeed go to large scale production to see if its viable and what kind of problems you run into. This is of course not as large a production as later on for sale.

At first there is almost no production you must scale that up for all the other tests that need to be run. I am quite sure other companies do the same. After a prototype they always start a larger scale production to see if its possible.. then after tests even larger scale.

Hmm yes, I'm not familiar with how Big Pharma works.

I suppose in this context they mean large-scale production to support (large-scale) clinical trials,

not mass-production for commercial distribution.

The timelines are way too optimistic though - they're probably looking at 10 years minimum.

6 minutes ago, varun said:

Hmm yes, I'm not familiar with how Big Pharma works.

I suppose in this context they mean large-scale production to support (large-scale) clinical trials,

not mass-production for commercial distribution.

The timelines are way too optimistic though - they're probably looking at 10 years minimum.

Quite probably way to optimistic, can't really say anything about that. But it always takes real long to put something on the market.

This sounds very similar to a drug tested in 2000 - Bexxar for the treatment of Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma. It was a radioactive mono-clonal drug using mouse antibodies. It was a one dose test with the trial and follow-up lasting 10 years. The end result - not a breakthrough.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

1 hour ago, Thian said:

For rabies they might get the funds soon from Holland where they're collecting money to stop rabies in poor countries...they show many very sad ad's on tv daily about soidogs who look like it's their last day alive and for sure the Dutch will donate because they can't stand the sight of dogs being treated that way....

Interesting. When I was last in Amsterdam you had to walk looking down the whole time to avoid the dog turds. I'd like to think this isn't the case any more - it was several years ago. Anyone know?

Sorry, this is very off-topic!

1 hour ago, varun said:

What if the trial fails?

likely they are just making a generic version of an already tested drug.  many cancer drugs and viral drugs are extremely expensive and are not covered by national healthcare so if you dont have cash "cest la vie"

the hepatitis treatment "harvoni" runs 84K usd in america. the same treatment in india about 900usd

8 minutes ago, madmitch said:

Interesting. When I was last in Amsterdam you had to walk looking down the whole time to avoid the dog turds. I'd like to think this isn't the case any more - it was several years ago. Anyone know?

Sorry, this is very off-topic!

Well there aren't many dogs in Amsterdam these days and it's illegal to let them shit on the streets...they even bring dogs inside the airport but for sure they're all vaccinated and registered, if you get bitten you can claim the owner and will always win..

18 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

Although they claim top 300 ranked in the world and top 50 in Asia I tend to think the Times rating more like it 800 at best and 164 in Asia

https://www.timeshighereducation.com/world-university-rankings/chulalongkorn-university

I would agree. Chula wouldn't compete with community colleges in the US or trade schools in Europe. Well, other than in the cuteness of the little ladies in their uniforms 

8 minutes ago, atyclb said:

likely they are just making a generic version of an already tested drug.  many cancer drugs and viral drugs are extremely expensive and are not covered by national healthcare so if you dont have cash "cest la vie"

the hepatitis treatment "harvoni" runs 84K usd in america. the same treatment in india about 900usd

The Indians are clever and have behemoths like Ranbaxy making legit off-label drugs. They were willing to learn from others. 

The Thais? Doubtful they have the expertise or necessary character do mass produce precision medicine. And, they are incapable of learning from others. 

5 minutes ago, Fex Bluse said:

I would agree. Chula wouldn't compete with community colleges in the US or trade schools in Europe. Well, other than in the cuteness of the little ladies in their uniforms 

The Indians are clever and have behemoths like Ranbaxy making legit off-label drugs. They were willing to learn from others. 

The Thais? Doubtful they have the expertise or necessary character do mass produce precision medicine. And, they are incapable of learning from others. 

even though there are some thai's capable and some that have actually studied abroad, when they return they face their system that is often "self defeating" 

38 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

Although they claim top 300 ranked in the world and top 50 in Asia I tend to think the Times rating more like it 800 at best and 164 in Asia

https://www.timeshighereducation.com/world-university-rankings/chulalongkorn-university

517 by RankingWeb, they are the biggest, 28,000 uni's ranked.

http://www.webometrics.info/en/Asia/Thailand

Archived