Group of British women held to ransom by armed Thai police and forced to pay £150 – for a broken TOILET

webfact

2 minutes ago, BigC said:

its a bit silly saying armed police as all police are armed.

Agreed, sensationalist reporting. Pretty much Britain, NZ and a couple of Nordic countries are the only countries in the world where Police aren't armed as a matter of course. 

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, NCC1701A said:

Agoda review:

Horrible service and staff attitude”

We were greeted with grimaces and generally awful attitude. The staff were not interested at all in doing their basic jobs, and charged our group extra for having an extra person in our room (which would be fair if they provided any extra service). We were shocked at the level of ineptitude at this hotel. They have decent amenities compared to the rest of the island, but not excusable to have this type of terrible service. Koh Phi Phi is beautiful, but I'd steer clear of this toxic establishment.

Booked via Agoda at certain price”

Told to pay more upon arrival as rate was wrong on their website. The searched on app whilst at Reception and showed same price again - all of sudden she didn't speak English Bang out of order - won't recommend to anyone.

Staff really not nice. Hard matress, noisy air conditioner”

Disaponting. I left the room after 1 night. Location is good. Bad smell in the toilet, very not comfortable bed, noisy air conditioner. Staff not nice and not welcoming. Not worth to visit.

So you sneaked an extra person into your room and expect not to pay for it. The hotel is running a business not a charitable doss house.

Considering the class of clientele that hotel seems to attract, I agree with you, best not to visit.

7 minutes ago, ReMarKable said:

No way is this real.  The photo shows a broken toilet seat. and a water tank lid on its side with no apparent damage.  Could replace the plastic seat and get a toilet seat lid as well for 1,000 baht.

have one more look at the picture :whistling:

40 minutes ago, DILLIGAD said:

Many cistern here in Thailand are not fixed (screwed) to the wall and as many are fitted away from the wall also.

Maybe someone landed on the lav a bit hard, smashing the seat and making the cistern rock against the wall, hence the broken back part of the chinaware.

Plausible. Not only don't they bother to fix it to the floor with bolts, they don't use wax seals (Or fit the rubber gaskets correctly) making ze odour so familiar in Thai toilets and fix it in place with caulking, which will go soft as time goes and the whole throne will be easy enough to lodge off with your pinky, never mind 500kg of female attacking it. And they never read the instructions so they're mounted at whatever distance from the wall happens to please the Somchai at the moment.

Seems like a dodgy hotel but as the girls are all fae Fife I have no sympathy. I've yet to meet a Fifer who wasn't a perfectly reasonable person 'til they got a drink in them. After a drink they all (the ones I've known) turn into A holes. 

16 minutes ago, cyberfarang said:

If left unchecked, many tourist areas in Thailand would soon be infested with British beer swilling yobs, vomiting everywhere, with yobbish behaviour, vandalising and making general nuisances of themselves, as happened when Spanish resorts became popular with British tourists during the 1970s and 1980s. This is a tourist image that Thailand certainly does not want. 

Of all tourists worldwide, Brits are the lowest denominator of the lot, they simply don`t know where to draw the line and cause problems wherever they go. The photo is a common sight on Britain`s streets after pub closing times, including extreme drunkenness and drunken brawls. Hope not to see that here.

If what you say is true, it might warrant a trip to London to see this decadent drunken kissing and butt squeezing firsthand.

2 hours ago, Vacuum said:

10K for a 'broken' toilet worth about 1500 + work. Avoid this island.

They are lucky they were charged what they were for smashing it. It is a hotel not a builders merchants, if you want to buy wholesale toilets go to Global or Homepro. Maybe Homepro and Global aren't on this island? Maybe someone has to get off their <deleted> and travel a few miles to buy one, then get it shipped.

26 minutes ago, cyberfarang said:

If left unchecked, many tourist areas in Thailand would soon be infested with British beer swilling yobs, vomiting everywhere, with yobbish behaviour, vandalising and making general nuisances of themselves, as happened when Spanish resorts became popular with British tourists during the 1970s and 1980s. This is a tourist image that Thailand certainly does not want. 

Of all tourists worldwide, Brits are the lowest denominator of the lot, they simply don`t know where to draw the line and cause problems wherever they go. The photo is a common sight on Britain`s streets after pub closing times, including extreme drunkenness and drunken brawls. Hope not to see that here.

Not wrong there!, just look at goos old boy "Scouser Lee" that arrived from the UK. How that mentally sub normal retard even managed to get from his home to the airport, let alone managing to board the correct plane  without getting nicked amazed. But don't just imagine that it will just be the Brits, just one look at his Canadian friend should be enough to warn of impending retards everywhere.

if there is any truth there is a real problem with police here. been calling on them for 4yrs where i am because of thongs stolen, broken, tresspassing, etc..  and they only ever come out to harass the farang so now i carry a fire arm as does my wife. Bib will not ever do anything thats in their job discription. They are greedy immoral scum bags for the most part. Farangs are easy prey because they have no rights, thais feel a need to have them be second class citizens. There is real mental health problems here that should be tackled prior to these constant visa overstayers and alike.

My family will never visit thailand again as they dont feel safe nor would i let them. 

1 hour ago, Kerryd said:

As they managed to (somehow) break the water tank on the toilet as well as the seat, you have to wonder what they were doing. They must have known enough to shut the water off as well or the place could have flooded.

The whole bit about "held for ransom by armed police" is just plain BS. Just another lot of arrogant tourists trying to get out of accepting any responsibility for their own actions by trying to make themselves look like the victims.

Should be arrested and charged with damaging Thailand's image. Looks like a few months in a Thai prison would do them more good than harm.

Or.... the rear of the cistern came pre-broken, above the water fill up level (easily alterable), so no need to turn the water off

lol.... a bit of epoxy glue and good to go again, as it were.

The British birds wonder why foreigners prefer Thai ladies...the proof is in the seat.

As you all have commented, the bird on the left is of great interest, well she looks to be of Thai origin...Good eye lads, watch out for those full figure birds, they can break the best man down in no time at all. ????

After seeing the Sun article it appears it's my eyes that need to be checked, as the bird on the left is just as bad as the rest in this group. SMH my bag!

The British birds wonder why foreigners prefer Thai ladies...the proof is in the seat.
As you all have commented, the bird on the left is of great interest, well she looks to be of Thai origin...Good eye lads, watch out for those full figure birds, they can break the best man down in no time at all. [emoji1787]

You could call that a ‘Cistern overload’

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 minutes ago, ajarnmarc said:

As you all have commented, the bird on the left is of great interest, well she looks to be of Thai origin...Good eye lads, watch out for those full figure birds, they can break the best man down in no time at all. ????

I bet they must be gutted when they read an absolute catch like yourself is not interested - how will they cope with the disappointment.

6 minutes ago, farcanell said:

Or.... the rear of the cistern came pre-broken, above the water fill up level (easily alterable), so no need to turn the water off

lol.... a bit of epoxy glue and good to go again, as it were.

But its the way business is done in Thailand, break the law, break a toilet, just negotiated the best deal you can and move on.

3 hours ago, webfact said:

The standoff came after the group of old school pals came back from lunch on Wednesday to find the manager at JJ Residence on Phi Phi Island pointing to the broken lavvy.

If it was an outside one, how does he know who was responsible? If inside the room, what the hell was he doing in there? 

1 minute ago, Franko666 said:

But its the way business is done in Thailand, break the law, break a toilet, just negotiated the best deal you can and move on.

Indeed... the hotel should be nabbed for harming the reputation of Thailand.

“we thought we were being scammed”, they said... lol... they were right.... but for the sake of 1650 baht each, better than an ongoing hassle.

if there is any truth there is a real problem with police here. been calling on them for 4yrs where i am because of thongs stolen, broken, tresspassing, etc..  and they only ever come out to harass the farang so now i carry a fire arm as does my wife. Bib will not ever do anything thats in their job discription. They are greedy immoral scum bags for the most part. Farangs are easy prey because they have no rights, thais feel a need to have them be second class citizens. There is real mental health problems here that should be tackled prior to these constant visa overstayers and alike.
My family will never visit thailand again as they dont feel safe nor would i let them. 

Why do and your wife need to carry guns because you had 'thongs stolen'? I hope they were hers and not yours!!!!
[emoji23] [emoji23]

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

They obviously thought they’d blame the Maid and have a good laugh.

Not surprised the Loo Broke under the weight of someone who by the look of them, may have required a Block and Tackle to lift them on or off the Potty.

Archived