Group of British women held to ransom by armed Thai police and forced to pay £150 – for a broken TOILET

webfact

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would say I can not see anything that has broke... just looks worn and has fallen to pieces.

Cheap crap (excuse the pun), badly fitted, badly maintained and well past it's sell by date.

Maybe TAT should take an interest in this hotel, an quick look round and if toilet seats in other rooms are falling apart as I would expect they should take action against the hotel because this publicity will do Thailand's hotel business more harm.

6 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

Don't smash a toilet then.

I suggest you look again. 

Done that?

Now, you too can see for yourself that the toilet isn't "smashed.

Just the plastic seat cover. 500 Baht at the most - even if the women actually did break it. Scammed and you agreed with the scammers.

Also - you now know the difference between "smashed"...…. and "broken"

There. You've learned something useful. Well done!

40 minutes ago, Bundooman said:

I suggest you look again. 

Done that?

Now, you too can see for yourself that the toilet isn't "smashed.

Just the plastic seat cover. 500 Baht at the most - even if the women actually did break it. Scammed and you agreed with the scammers.

Also - you now know the difference between "smashed"...…. and "broken"

There. You've learned something useful. Well done!

I suggest you look again. The back part of the toilet is broken (the part that holds the water); that's why you can see the tiles behind it.

NO Broken Toilet! A cheap plastic toilet seat falling apart, which is to be expected when you install junk. My wife had Home Pro 800 baht seats installed during construction of our house, while I was on business in the Middle East. All five bathrooms in our house needed replacements within the first year. I then replaced all with quality seats at 2,500 baht each, All are in pristine condition after 10 years.

I just returned from Addis Ababa where I stayed at Hilton Hotel. My first room had broken toilet seat so I was upgraded to superior suite. One of the bathrooms also had broken seat. The Supervisor apologized. She explained that broken toilet seats were a real problem because of the many guests from places like China, India and also locals. They have no experience with Western style sit down toilets. They insist to climb up on the seat to squat! That will break the plastic seats every time.

What kind of a scum bag cheapo accommodation is this JJ Residence? They found it necessary to involve five Royal Thai police officers (fully armed), to deal with a minor room maintenance issue? The Maid broke the seat and laughed, obviously a common occurrence. The previous guest was no doubt a squatter. So why was it not fixed by management before the girls returned from lunch. It is a five minute job, I have done it myself. Clearly a standard responsibility for management of the fine JJ Cock Roach Resort.

Then they have the audacity to engage in Criminal Extortion knowing the Ladies were on a fixed departure schedule. The Police responded irresponsibly. They need to be reported to Superior Officers as well as Tourist Association of Thailand. This is a disgrace to Thailand. JJ should be disenfranchised and sued for damage to character and reputation of these lovely ladies. For Shame JJ and Thai Police! Shut down this JJ Residence, not fit for human habitation.

Lunatics at large, run amok!

Apparently many of the TV posters here are either plain blind or so enraptured by the "woman in the red dress" that they can't see their hand in front of their face.

The TANK on the toilet was broken as well as the seat. That is probably why the manager was in the room, because the toilet was probably leaking a lot of water from the tank. Maybe a maid noticed the problem when she went to clean the room.

(I'm guess that the girls broke the toilet and then took off. Surprised they didn't check out and go to another hotel.)

It would seem that the hotel owner was demanding a certain amount to fix the broken toilet and between him, the police and the women, the price was negotiated downwards. If you've ever actually been to Thailand (and I suspect a lot of posters here haven't) then you'd probably know that sort of thing happens a lot. You negotiate a settlement with the other party and that's the end of it. No arrests, no jail, no court appearances or deportation.

F'ing bull**** about "being held for ransom". Get real and get your head out of your ***. 

The alternative would have been to arrest the 4, thrown them in jail, make them pay bail, then have them appear in court at a later date where they probably would have ended up paying even more. 

And it is standard practise at pretty much every hotel I've ever staying in, around the world, that if you have more than the stated number of people staying in the room, there will be additional charges. If you tell them that 2 people will be staying in the room and they see 4 people in there, then yes it is most likely they'd add a surcharge to the bill. Frik - if you book a room for yourself that has 2 beds and then bring someone else to stay in the room with you, you will probably get an additional surcharge.

That happens everywhere - just because you have never had it happen to you does not mean it is some kind of scam being run by that hotel on that island.

31 minutes ago, Ibrahim al Hajji said:

NO Broken Toilet! A cheap plastic toilet seat falling apart, which is to be expected when you install junk. My wife had Home Pro 800 baht seats installed during construction of our house, while I was on business in the Middle East. All five bathrooms in our house needed replacements within the first year. I then replaced all with quality seats at 2,500 baht each, All are in pristine condition after 10 years.

I just returned from Addis Ababa where I stayed at Hilton Hotel. My first room had broken toilet seat so I was upgraded to superior suite. One of the bathrooms also had broken seat. The Supervisor apologized. She explained that broken toilet seats were a real problem because of the many guests from places like China, India and also locals. They have no experience with Western style sit down toilets. They insist to climb up on the seat to squat! That will break the plastic seats every time.

What kind of a scum bag cheapo accommodation is this JJ Residence? They found it necessary to involve five Royal Thai police officers (fully armed), to deal with a minor room maintenance issue? The Maid broke the seat and laughed, obviously a common occurrence. The previous guest was no doubt a squatter. So why was it not fixed by management before the girls returned from lunch. It is a five minute job, I have done it myself. Clearly a standard responsibility for management of the fine JJ Cock Roach Resort.

Then they have the audacity to engage in Criminal Extortion knowing the Ladies were on a fixed departure schedule. The Police responded irresponsibly. They need to be reported to Superior Officers as well as Tourist Association of Thailand. This is a disgrace to Thailand. JJ should be disenfranchised and sued for damage to character and reputation of these lovely ladies. For Shame JJ and Thai Police! Shut down this JJ Residence, not fit for human habitation.

Lunatics at large, run amok!

Again: the water tank at the back of the toilet is broken. Not just the seat.

Several hotels I have stayed in had either unbalanced toilet seats due to one of the four seat supports missing or wonky hinges. each of which would cause an easy breakage.  Also the bathroom sink taps are very often loose at the base and in the last hotel I stayed at just two weeks ago, the sink plug pushed down, but refused to come up again.  With a slightly leaky tap, this caused the bathroom to partly flood overnight.  

One hotel had uncovered power junction boxes at head height just behind the fixed wooden seats along side the swimming pool and no door on the adjoining store housing all the pumps, filters and electrical equipment.  I reported this to the hotel staff, who said they would get it fixed.  Three months later, I stayed at the same hotel and nothing had changed.  A further complaint appeared to be taken more seriously and when I returned three months later, some black sticky tape had been fixed over the junction boxes instead of a proper plastic cover costing about 5 baht.  The store housing the pump etc still had no door, so any kid using the pool could just wander in.  I guess nothing will be done until a kid gets killed.

8 hours ago, Basil B said:

Problem more likely "cheap" bathroomware from Alibaba.

Traditional Thai toilet bowl is much smaller than western regular toilet bowl.... definitely can’t stand the weight of that red hippo. ???? 

Problem more likely "cheap" bathroomware from Alibaba.

Problem more likely "cheap"  from Alibaba.

8 hours ago, Vacuum said:

10K for a 'broken' toilet worth about 1500 + work. Avoid this island.

a good toilet costs about 4000-5000 baht - although I don't know if they stayed in a hotel of average standard or if they stayed in a cheap guesthouse where a toilet costs indeed 900 to 1500.

they settled on 6500.

2 hours ago, Retiredandhappyhere said:

Several hotels I have stayed in had either unbalanced toilet seats due to one of the four seat supports missing or wonky hinges. each of which would cause an easy breakage.  Also the bathroom sink taps are very often loose at the base and in the last hotel I stayed at just two weeks ago, the sink plug pushed down, but refused to come up again.  With a slightly leaky tap, this caused the bathroom to partly flood overnight.  

One hotel had uncovered power junction boxes at head height just behind the fixed wooden seats along side the swimming pool and no door on the adjoining store housing all the pumps, filters and electrical equipment.  I reported this to the hotel staff, who said they would get it fixed.  Three months later, I stayed at the same hotel and nothing had changed.  A further complaint appeared to be taken more seriously and when I returned three months later, some black sticky tape had been fixed over the junction boxes instead of a proper plastic cover costing about 5 baht.  The store housing the pump etc still had no door, so any kid using the pool could just wander in.  I guess nothing will be done until a kid gets killed.

"you think too much"

2 hours ago, Ctkong said:

Traditional Thai toilet bowl is much smaller than western regular toilet bowl.... definitely can’t stand the weight of that red hippo. ???? 

But it was the toilet seat that was broken... not the bowl.

And it is the size that is of issue maybe the hotel should have a sign "Asians only"  

Archived