Brain-damaged kid Muay Thai fighters prompt call for ban

snoop1130

Brain-damaged kid Muay Thai fighters prompt call for ban

By Pravit Rojanaphruk, Senior Staff Writer

kidfighters-696x541.jpg

Young Muay Thai boxers fight for a crowd of tourists in April near Railay Beach in Krabi province.

BANGKOK — Muay Thai may be the pride of the kingdom, but new research says letting children fight in the ring can irreparably damage their minds.

Citing a new study by Mahidol University, medical advocates held a Thursday news conference in Bangkok to call for the boxing of minors under 15 to be regulated to prevent permanent brain damage.

Full Story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/featured/2018/10/25/brain-damaged-kid-muay-thai-fighters-draws-call-for-ban/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2018-10-25
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Damrongsak said:

I saw a fight at a festival fight in Loei maybe 40 years ago.  One kid connected with a foot kick to the other kid's jaw/head and that kid was lifted several inches up off the ground.  Brutal. 

Barbaric sport, boxing in general is. The simple fact that it is the hallmark of Thailand is frightening.  We are in the 21st century for God's sake.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Simple, teach the kids to fight using foot pads and headgear. Or even introduce semi contact Thai boxing where as soon as point scores stop and start again. At least this keeps them safe whilst learning.

It should most certainly be regulated, nothing more important then protecting the kids in this instance.

53 minutes ago, DoctorG said:

It's a no-brainer (pun) that juniors should be wearing head gear.

Research shows that boxers with head gear suffer the same amount, if not more, damage to the brain.

While head gear takes some of the impact of the blows away, it also makes the target larger meaning they get hit on the head more often.

33 minutes ago, KiChakayan said:

Barbaric sport, boxing in general is. The simple fact that it is the hallmark of Thailand is frightening.  We are in the 21st century for God's sake.

I did some Korean martial art practice back around 1974 at college, for about a year.  One time I had to fight the teacher, who was a US Army Green Beret assistant under the master.  No gloves or padding back in the day.  I did OK, accidentally hit him in the head several times.  He sorta rearranged my rib cage with a kick (more of a strong nudge) that took a month or so to get better.

I did get a compliment from him in front of the class about being the best fighting from a newbie he'd seen...  I was so freaking tired that he had to grab me so we could face the right way to bow to the rest of the class. Woof!  Still, I got a couple knocks in. 

Edited by Damrongsak
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, mok199 said:

Every thai male sees himself as a warrior ,its part of their ego, instilled as a child ,with poor parenting skills and discipline (usually by threatening the child with fist or a foot ),it is not hard to understand why the cycle of lawlessness, violence and drama continues...This is thainess 101,and it will never ever end...

It is more visible in Thailand but it is the male thing universally.  We have to somehow break the chain of perpetuation just don't ask me how.  It comes back to the most basic good vs evil.  There are those that teach their kids that goodness is good and those that teach their kids to be evil, albeit unwittingly.

• Like 1

Warrior really, thai men are the most effeminate warriors ever, they speak in high pitched squeaky voices, they have this follow the leader thing that most european chidren grow out of at age 12-16 - where they sit next to each other in class boy with boy, hugging etc.  they are not really warriors

easily offended true, very quick to take insult and make you an enemy for life

probably to do with insecurity issues

then again I was never that keen on latin men with their faux macho persona, its comical really

well most men are comical

women too

in fact life

if there were a god they/it would be laughing at this stupid shit and went mad eons ago

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Regulation seems like a good idea as banning will probably not work...

Need to have long breaks between fights. Need to have no blows to the head when sparring (or at least only rarely).

Good luck enforcing any of it in this country. .

Edited by hobz

11 hours ago, KiChakayan said:

And if you came to live out here in Issan, you'd work out that the male population is composed of 20% of idiots 50% of drunk idiots and 30% of ok guys, mostly those over 40 who have managed to survive.

I agree, Thai boxing could have something to do with it, but most likely is is and issue of inbreeding, absence of education, alcohol and drugs.

those over 40 of survivers still live with mum.

Nice to see they are setting an age limit. The adults fight children and then bet in them. I saw one brutal fight the was a bad mismatch and just sickening. Child abuse really, the coach must have been brain damaged as a kid. 

I enjoy watching Muay Thai kickboxing on the local TV channel but every time I see a kids in a match, I have to turn the TV off because it seems adults (managers, parents, promoters...) are taking advantage of these minors not caring about their safety. It will be hard to convince Thai society to change their thinking towards NOT allowing children to compete competitively just like it is hard to convince parents in the USA not to have their school age sons to play American football, despite the deaths or brain damage that occurs later in life.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KiChakayan said:

Barbaric sport, boxing in general is. The simple fact that it is the hallmark of Thailand is frightening. We are in the 21st century for God's sake.

My wife's father always puts boxing on the TV and starts asking me if they watch it in England, and how the British fighters are really good because they often win...

I told him that we have animals in England that bray for blood and laugh at folks causing each other brain damage. He just says 'oh' and goes back to it.

Completely ignorant - not as 'not knowing' but as 'not wanting to know because we just enjoy a good show'.

I got over it when everyone was raving about Ali years ago - seeing him slurring his words on TV made me physically sick.

It has long since been a rule in the west AND far east that children entering full contact sports need protective padding for the head (at least for the head). But Thailand refuses and here's an example of why.

When <deleted> Tae Kwon Do was first introduced by a South Korean Master there was list of 8 patterns below Black Belt and 9 for 1st Dan to 9th Dan. The 8 patterns were, and still are, called Taegeuk which replaced an older set of 8 called Palgwe. Thailand Martial Arts however, said that as Thailand had more Martial Arts than any one else they wanted 2 extra patterns added to the 8. The Korean Master plugged in 2 of the older Palgwe patterns, number 7 and 8, to make 10 pre-black belt patterns. This reigned for a few years but <deleted> Headquarters in S.K. told Thailand to conform or lose the <deleted> license and so today Thailand has 8 pre-black belt patterns like everyone else.

• Like 1