Brain-damaged kid Muay Thai fighters prompt call for ban

snoop1130

3 hours ago, KiChakayan said:

Barbaric sport, boxing in general is. The simple fact that it is the hallmark of Thailand is frightening.  We are in the 21st century for God's sake.

And how do you feel about cock-fighting, the bird type not the other?

No need to answer that.

13 hours ago, WayneThompson said:

I get tired of expats talking in absolutes.
If you come to Thailand and live in Pattaya you are going to have confirmation bias since it's the sinkhole for the dregs of Thai society.
That doesn't make it any less racist or offensive.

And a sinkhole for the dregs of farang society.

4 hours ago, DoctorG said:

It's a no-brainer (pun) that juniors should be wearing head gear.

I have been looking at QI on the tube and recently S.Fry on QI said that more deaths have be attributed in boxing with the boxers wearing gloves rather than bare knuckle . Hit someone in the face with a bare hand and if can break fingers so hit lightly . With gloves on hit the opponent as hard on the head as you can.

Kick a football a hundred yards with bare feet or with boots on ?

13 hours ago, poohy said:

Sadly this applies to most places in the countryside or at least away from larger cities

Lived in BKK 12 years then travel took me to the countryside/ rural areas  and was astounded at lack of education, it is frightening!

But it's understandable considering the culture there as well as  lack of any resources for furthering education. And many people do not care about education because of where they were born and raised. Not a bad thing....people choose to work at certain roles and most of the time it is to survive. Anyone who works anywhere- no matter what they do for a living has an effect upon the whole. I've never frowned upon a person who is less educated than I- my life is my own and others simply add to my experience no matter whether they are educated or not.

I could speak just as easily to an Isaan farmer or a more suburban  native. It's all one of many experiences that I choose to engage in when the time arrives.

So.....what's the lesson here? Many people from many nations  adhere to their specific cultural norms and all command respect. It takes all kinds to make a concerted effort, but I will exit now - you all take care and make your life enjoyable as we only have a limited time on this earth).

Best regards...all

Tim

• Like 1

15 hours ago, mok199 said:

Every thai male sees himself as a warrior ,its part of their ego, instilled as a child ,with poor parenting skills and discipline (usually by threatening the child with fist or a foot ),it is not hard to understand why the cycle of lawlessness, violence and drama continues...This is thainess 101,and it will never ever end...

Every Thai male a warrior don’t make me laugh, every Thai male I’ve encountered are the biggest cowards in the universe 

1 hour ago, toofarnorth said:

I have been looking at QI on the tube and recently S.Fry on QI said that more deaths have be attributed in boxing with the boxers wearing gloves rather than bare knuckle . Hit someone in the face with a bare hand and if can break fingers so hit lightly . With gloves on hit the opponent as hard on the head as you can.

Kick a football a hundred yards with bare feet or with boots on ?

Exactly. This is common knowledge among professional fighters. The gloves and wrapping of hands are there to protect the hands. Not the head of the opponent.

Only problem with bare knuckle fighting is the cuts. But head trauma / concussions are reduced because you just can't hit as hard when you're not wrapped up or your hand / wrist breaks immediately... Anyone who has hit a heavy bag with and without wrapping knows what I'm talking about. .if not go and try it.. first wrap your hands and hit as hard as you can.. and then take off the wraps and hit as hard as you can.. unless you have e perfect technique (you don't) you won't be able to land more than 10 punches before you hurt your wrist when you're unwrapped.. and that's against a bag ... Now do the same to a human being that is moving around and has bones and stuff... When you are unwrapped and hit even at a slightly wrong angle you will get hurt.. the more power you have the more you get hurt... This is why boxers often break their hands when they get I to street fights ... They get angry and forget that hands are not wrapped and Bam... Hands broken...

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/15004/TYSON-BREAKS-RIGHT-HAND-IN-STREET-FIGHT.html

Edited by hobz
  • Like 1

Maybe in Europe many dream of becoming the next best footballer

In USA they dream of being the next best basket ball player or baseball player

India possibly a cricketer

Thailands national hero game is Muay Thai... let the kids dream

but wear protective aids during training & tournaments.

Bans will not solve a thing, just get smart!

• Like 1

Medical science understands far better now than twenty, forty, one hundred years ago what damage repeated blows to the brain can do over the long term. Adults should take responsibility for themselves, but in light of what we now know, it is unforgivable to encourage and allow such sports as this to be practiced by children.

17 hours ago, bangrak said:

'MaiDong' about my #7 hereabove: do feel free to think what you want, it is your good right, but, please, do not consider it funny, please!

There simply wasn't an appropriate emoticon for my reaction, which was agreement & amusement. 

20 hours ago, mok199 said:

Every thai male sees himself as a warrior ,its part of their ego, instilled as a child ,with poor parenting skills and discipline (usually by threatening the child with fist or a foot ),it is not hard to understand why the cycle of lawlessness, violence and drama continues...This is thainess 101,and it will never ever end...

Spot on!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, TKDfella said:

It has long since been a rule in the west AND far east that children entering full contact sports need protective padding for the head (at least for the head). But Thailand refuses and here's an example of why.

When <deleted> Tae Kwon Do was first introduced by a South Korean Master there was list of 8 patterns below Black Belt and 9 for 1st Dan to 9th Dan. The 8 patterns were, and still are, called Taegeuk which replaced an older set of 8 called Palgwe. Thailand Martial Arts however, said that as Thailand had more Martial Arts than any one else they wanted 2 extra patterns added to the 8. The Korean Master plugged in 2 of the older Palgwe patterns, number 7 and 8, to make 10 pre-black belt patterns. This reigned for a few years but <deleted> Headquarters in S.K. told Thailand to conform or lose the <deleted> license and so today Thailand has 8 pre-black belt patterns like everyone else.

My "W.T.F' (without periods) quote was deleted but it means World Taekwodo Federation. The other main Taekwondo federation is ITF, International Taekwondo Federation.

Edited by TKDfella

13 hours ago, Damrongsak said:

I saw a fight at a festival fight in Loei maybe 40 years ago.  One kid connected with a foot kick to the other kid's jaw/head and that kid was lifted several inches up off the ground.  Brutal. 

A proper fight then. Why bother watching anything else with the fighters covered in all sorts of cushy pillows. Full contact to the end, now that's entertainment, bring on the lions, wine and bread!

23 hours ago, WayneThompson said:

I get tired of expats talking in absolutes.
If you come to Thailand and live in Pattaya you are going to have confirmation bias since it's the sinkhole for the dregs of Thai society.
That doesn't make it any less racist or offensive.

Something about a pot and a kettle springs to mind. ???? I know plenty of stinking rich Thai people that love taking their families to Pattaya for the weekend: Tons of amusement parks, lots of delicious eateries and a bunch of expensive resorts where they can relax. There are also a couple of nightime streets where you might have built your assumption from, but the majority of the city comes across as a bustling beach town.

Edited by SABloke

And if you came to live out here in Issan, you'd work out that the male population is composed of 20% of idiots 50% of drunk idiots and 30% of ok guys, mostly those over 40 who have managed to survive.
I agree, Thai boxing could have something to do with it, but most likely is is and issue of inbreeding, absence of education, alcohol and drugs.

I agree with you Kirotcakayan !
I think you’ve stiil bees too gentle with your quota of idiots...[emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Like 1

Off topic posts and the replies have been removed. 

A post in violation of the following has been removed:

The ThaiVisa News Team gathers and disseminates news bulletins from Thai and International sources, and republishes them in the News Forums for our members' information and enjoyment. Our News Team works hard to bring quality content to the News Forums, and should be respected for their efforts.
Comments such as "slow news day" or "clickbait headline" are neither respectful nor welcome on the forum, and will be considered as troll comments and removed and the offending poster warned and/or suspended accordingly.
Except as otherwise indicated in the byline, news bulletins are reprinted verbatim from a mass media source which has given TV permission to use its feed. 
Original articles, especially in the Thai press, often have grammatical mistakes or misspellings. ThaiVisa is not responsible for these nor does ThaiVisa have the rights to alter content it is reprinting from another source. Similarly, ThaiVisa is not responsible for any opinions reflected  or quoted in reprinted news stories.
Edited by metisdead