Pattaya clears trash, threatens new fines

Rimmer

Pattaya clears trash, threatens new fines

image.png

PATTAYA:--Pattaya sanitation workers spread out across the city to clean up spots plagued by illegal garbage dumping with Mayor Sonthaya Kunplome promising increased patrols and fines.

As Pattaya struggles with collecting and disposing of all its trash, illegal dump sites have popped up more frequently. Fines for dumping are only 2,000 baht, an amount which hasn’t scared many people into stopping. But Sonthaya said more surveillance of problem areas will be done and more fines levied.

In the interim, sanitation workers cleared trash from Sukhumvit sois 2-4, Yinyom Beach, Jomtien Beach, near the Pattaya Vegetarian Festival in Naklua, Nernrodfai Community, Pattaya Beach, Lan Po Public Park and Soi, Saktong.

Crews also emptied trash bins on Jomtien Beach and cleaned the pavement surrounding them before sweeping up fallen branches in front of Rungroj Park.

pattaya_mail_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Pattaya Mail 2018-10-26

Finally, sewage that had backed up on Soi Chaiyapruk 2 was cleared.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

They could use a hot line, with English speaking operators (I think most Thais wouldn't report illegal dumping), and quick response to cops to make some quick fine $$$. I have many photos of perps dumping trash on side road off of 2nd road, with license plates very legible. I've considered taking those to local cop shop on a flash drive (don't want to email). What's held me back is consideration cops might "let slip" where I live & I don't feel like doing balcony diving practice. What to do?

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, essox essox said:

fines!! what fines....how and when are they going to catch the culprits and how/when will they pay the fines.?? and when paid where will the money go??

I would suggest increase the fines to something painful, and give half to citizens who produce photo evidence leading to successful prosecution of the fly tippers.

I have seen a truck belonging to one of the oldest and best known Pattaya hotels, dumping trash in a ditch by the roadside - I mean a whole truckload!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Emdog said:

They could use a hot line, with English speaking operators (I think most Thais wouldn't report illegal dumping), and quick response to cops to make some quick fine $$$. I have many photos of perps dumping trash on side road off of 2nd road, with license plates very legible. I've considered taking those to local cop shop on a flash drive (don't want to email). What's held me back is consideration cops might "let slip" where I live & I don't feel like doing balcony diving practice. What to do?

It would be super helpful with a phone number to report dumps/dumpers AND follow-up by city hall (not only along beaches and other "profitable" areas). I have the same problem as the OP: just as an example, there's a veritable dump starting just centimeters behind a MC taxi "stand" at the top of Pratamnak Soi 6 - it's mostly the drivers dumping styrofoam packages and stuff, and it's starting to pile up... but report it, and you might find yourself in an unwanted - uhm - mess!

Edited by AsiaCheese
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, johng said:

It would be even more super helpful if there where any ( even 1) official  dump/recycling sites in the Pattaya area..I think the closest one is in Rayong !!!!!!

yes, totally!

although there are some private dumps where you can empty your trunk for 40 bahts

• Like 1

The clear main problem here is that businesses, Hotels, restaurants etc and private homes do not have to accept  / pay for refuse collection, ie If a home does not pay the monthly refuse collection, then there house is simply not charged and no refuse collected, so that house just dumps there rubbish around the corner etc.

The same for Hotels, restaurants etc, no obligation to remove rubbish etc, so just conveniently dumped somewhere.  (Usually the nearest dark street etc)

So ultimately its the Pattaya Authority that are clearly at fault, no regulations etc.

Finally beach areas etc, should be a responsibility of the Authority and they do not care anyway!!

Edited by Pdavies99

13 hours ago, a977 said:

I've said it before and I'll say it again the sooner this incompetent council gets a properly qualified collection contractor and the sooner they get the so called Rangers off their fat asses and out onto the streets the sooner Pattaya will get cleaned up, In other countries Rangers have more power than the police, they can fine people for double parking on Threppassit road, fine taxis for parking in wrong place check on the licences of the food sellers, the list is endless. Wake up Pattaya council there's a gold mine out there you just have to go and get it

Sounds wondeferful - Trouble is , quite a few of Pattaya's  foreign  residents left home to get away from all that ............

9 hours ago, natway09 said:

And Grusa what did you do about it,,,,, clap

No. Like most of the lurkers here, and knowing the family who own the group, not wanting to end up in a ditch along with the trash I did nothing. It does not behove farang on retirement extensions to rock the local boat too much, or too often.

Complaints to the authoritities here need to come from the Thai themselves, else - and not even always else - they are ignored, or worse reflected back on the complainer.

Even if personally squeaky clean, think twice then think again before making a complaint against the hiso indigenous or their employees.

It beggars belief that Pattaya is struggling with its garbage collection.

There are Billions of Baht spent in the City and immeadiate surrounding area every Year by both Tourists and Local Residents.

Surely ! there is some money left in the trough for Garbage collection, correct disposal, and Sanitation.

• Like 1

On 10/26/2018 at 12:52 PM, Rimmer said:

Pattaya sanitation workers spread out across the city to clean up spots

i don't understand why trash collection that's supposed to be done regularly becomes news.

I'm sorry but were they not supposed to collect it and let it accumulate?

On 10/27/2018 at 6:06 PM, Pdavies99 said:

The clear main problem here is that businesses, Hotels, restaurants etc and private homes do not have to accept  / pay for refuse collection, ie If a home does not pay the monthly refuse collection, then there house is simply not charged and no refuse collected, so that house just dumps there rubbish around the corner etc.

The same for Hotels, restaurants etc, no obligation to remove rubbish etc, so just conveniently dumped somewhere.  (Usually the nearest dark street etc)

So ultimately its the Pattaya Authority that are clearly at fault, no regulations etc.

Finally beach areas etc, should be a responsibility of the Authority and they do not care anyway!!

rebels without a cause...