Sinéad O'Connor converts to Islam

snoop1130

Who's up next?  Bono?  Or actually, who really cares for the non-events in celebrities lives other than fans who live their own pathetic lives vicariously through their pop heroes?  :dry:  So next up will probably be a rash of equally unstable O'connor fans who need to emulate their heart throb.  What they won't understand until it's too late is that the Roman Catholic church excommunicates apostates; Islam severs an apostate's life from the land of the living.  Best of luck Sinead.  If you find solace in Islam, more power to you. 

9 minutes ago, sirineou said:

I am an Atheist so I think they are all equally deluded, but I will admite I am a litle surprised at the animus toward her conversion. 

A bit tribal don't you all think? 

If you consider her evident instability, it's a bit hard to accept anything she does as "real". She's a cry for help. As I was typing this her song "You made me thief of your heart" started playing on the radio. What are the odds?

Edited by giddyup

1 minute ago, giddyup said:

If you consider her evident instability, it's a bit hard to accept anything she does as "real". She's a cry for help.

I know litle about her other than that she is an Irish singer and that I know one of her songs but, 

Why do we need to accept anything she does as real or false? 

If indeed she had instability issues, IMO the proper reaction would had being "good for her, I hope this resent delusion  brings her  the stability and peace of mind she so desperately needs" 

IMO  this is not so much that her past lifestyle was not liked by many, or  about her past life choices ,  but that she left the tribe,

(And let's not kid ourselves. The Christian or Jewish, or muslim etc. Thing is more tribal than it is religious for most).  

and not for a tribe like the one Madonna  converted too but one with a different narrative. 

Anyway IMO this says as much about as, as it does about her.

But what do I know, I am only a stable genius LOL 

49 minutes ago, sirineou said:

I am an Atheist so I think they are all equally deluded, but I will admite I am a litle surprised at the animus toward her conversion. 

A bit tribal don't you all think? 

We hunt in packs mate.

:laugh:

Seriously though, it's her whooping & wailing over the years that annoyed me.

Now she converts to Islam, knowing that there'd be some kind of backlash, but has to inform her publicist.

Post #38 is right on the money.

Love you using 'animus' - are you Jungian like Peterson?

Enjoy your weekend.

:smile:

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, sirineou said:

I know litle about her other than that she is an Irish singer and that I know one of her songs but, 

Why do we need to accept anything she does as real or false?

We don't need to accept it, I already said that, that's the point, and as others have pointed out, she's an attention seeker who's career has been long over, but she's having a hard job being a nobody.

• Like 2

Sinead Becomes a Priest, 1999

"In 1999, the woman who had torn up a picture of a man who most famously represented the Catholic Church became a holy member of the church. Sure it was a “breakaway church”—the Latin Tridentine Church, which was described by writer Ann Powers in Spin as a “conservative Christian sect. But still, Mother Bernadette Mary was an ordained Priest! So, what if she not recognized officially by the Catholic church, she was still a priest, though one who ‘still smokes weed’ and called herself, a ‘strong independent pagan woman,’” noted the Spin article. O’Connor told the magazine: “I’m dealing with the Catholic Church by becoming one of the them and trying to be as nonthreatening as possible.” Later, she was made an Archdeacon after her work with the homeless in Dublin."

After Islam, no doubt she'll convert to Scientology...

:laugh:

4 minutes ago, giddyup said:

We don't need to accept it, I already said that, that's the point, and as others have pointed out, she's an attention seeker who's career has been long over, but she's having a hard job being a nobody.

But you do accept it a false, 

but whether it is right or false is not the point , I believe I said " regardless" as the operative word. 

My point (perhaps mistaken) that the overwhelming negative reaction is tribal and reinforced by the narrative associated with choice of religious preference.  Did we have the same vociferous reaction  to Madonna's  (an equally nutty person) conversion to Judaism?

I submit we did not, and for reasons associated with my assertion.

(yes vociferous! I'v been reading the dictionary lately  LOL)

1 hour ago, sirineou said:

but whether it is right or false is not the point , I believe I said " regardless" as the operative word. 

My point (perhaps mistaken) that the overwhelming negative reaction is tribal and reinforced by the narrative associated with choice of religious preference.  Did we have the same vociferous reaction  to Madonna's  (an equally nutty person) conversion to Judaism?

I suppose Islam is the new bogey man of the 21st Century, no one really had an issue with it before then. Too many war escapades in places we didn’t need to be have made matters worse. So Islam gets more vitriol than other religions. And that’s what attracted Sinead. Buhddism wouldn’t have moved the needle much ... so Islam it was. I have two very good friends who are Muslims. They are avid users of technology and like to jet off to foreign places, yet still believe that the Earth is 6,000 years old and that evolutionary theory is wrong. They trust science, except when it differs from the book ... but believe that the prophet descended to heaven on a unicorn? Go figure? I think I was around 10 when I realised religion was a fairy story ... amazed that people keep it going.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AlexRich said:

I suppose Islam is the new bogey man of the 21st Century, no one really had an issue with it before then. Too many war escapades in places we didn’t need to be have made matters worse. So Islam gets more vitriol than other religions. And that’s what attracted Sinead. Buhddism wouldn’t have moved the needle much ... so Islam it was. I have two very good friends who are Muslims. They are avid users of technology and like to jet off to foreign places, yet still believe that the Earth is 6,000 years old and that evolutionary theory is wrong. They trust science, except when it differs from the book ... but believe that the prophet descended to heaven on a unicorn? Go figure? I think I was around 10 when I realised religion was a fairy story ... amazed that people keep it going.

err... you might want to research what great thinkers of the age of enlightenment said about Islam.

2 hours ago, sirineou said:

Perhaps because Madonna was a bit more credible. She didn't have a history of mental illness, or of chopping and changing to whatever religion suited her on any given day. My negative reaction would have been the same with Sinead if I read she'd become a scientologist or a devil worshipper.

1 hour ago, manarak said:

err... you might want to research what great thinkers of the age of enlightenment said about Islam.

Err ... amongst the man in the street? If the great thinkers were also God-botherers then, in my view, they’re not that great. Is their imaginary friend better than another’s?

29 minutes ago, AlexRich said:

Err ... amongst the man in the street? If the great thinkers were also God-botherers then, in my view, they’re not that great. Is their imaginary friend better than another’s?

Montaigne, Bossuet, Voltaire, Montesquieu, Condorcet, Chateaubriand, Schopenhauer, de Vigny, de Tocqueville, Flaubert, ...

1 hour ago, manarak said:

Montaigne, Bossuet, Voltaire, Montesquieu, Condorcet, Chateaubriand, Schopenhauer, de Vigny, de Tocqueville, Flaubert, ...

French ... mostly ... they loathed them so much they invited them to their country. The point of course was the ordinary man in the street ... racists of course would never like any foreigner ... but Islamophobia is mostly a 21 st Century phenomena. Never heard any Muslim rants pre 9/11.

12 minutes ago, AlexRich said:

French ... mostly ... they loathed them so much they invited them to their country. The point of course was the ordinary man in the street ... racists of course would never like any foreigner ... but Islamophobia is mostly a 21 st Century phenomena. Never heard any Muslim rants pre 9/11.

just give it a thought... which "ordinary man in the street" living in a Western European kingdom would have had anything to do with Muslims? only well-traveled people would know anything, plus they would have had to be able to write to preserve their opinion for posterity.

But just read what the people I listed wrote about Islam. A lot of it are bona fide "rants".

"the natural conclusion of any intelligent theologian's journey"  this is a total contradiction of terms, you can't possibly be intelligent and a theologian, anyone believing such garbage spewed out 1000's of years ago is far from intelligent.

Edited by teelac5
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, manarak said:

just give it a thought... which "ordinary man in the street" living in a Western European kingdom would have had anything to do with Muslims? only well-traveled people would know anything, plus they would have had to be able to write to preserve their opinion for posterity.

But just read what the people I listed wrote about Islam. A lot of it are bona fide "rants".

Looks like might point went straight over your head. No ordinary person, particularly from the US, had an opinion on Muslims, good or bad, they were simply not on their radar. Apart from racists, who hate everyone other than their tribe.  

On 10/26/2018 at 6:11 PM, bluesofa said:

Next week she'll convert to LPG or propane.

Just enjoyed a few long island teas with her in Nana.  She's leaning the Buddha way now. Gawd does she look rough !!

1 hour ago, AlexRich said:

Looks like might point went straight over your head. No ordinary person, particularly from the US, had an opinion on Muslims, good or bad, they were simply not on their radar. Apart from racists, who hate everyone other than their tribe.  

I was just showing that your following statement is wrong:

I suppose Islam is the new bogey man of the 21st Century, no one really had an issue with it before then.

11 hours ago, AlexRich said:

Yes indeed, my friend, with the fall of communism, and the military industrial complex's need for a new "enemy" Islam seems to be the new bogeyman. IMO if she had converted to Buddhism there would had being very litle reaction and this Thread would had died after the second page. But by now people have bought into the "bogeyman" syndrome they hear Islam and their A hole tightens up.

As far as religion is concerned, I am also an Atheist, I have no use for ant religion but as long as they don't bother me I don't bother them. To some I don't even question their faith, Despite the delusion It seems to work for many of them,  I had an elderly lady friend who had become a Born  again Christian,she truly believed and it gave her comfort, when ever she brought up  the subject I would change the subject, What if I had talked to her and changed her mind, what if I had taken her faith away, what would I replace it with? Individual responsibility was not her thing, especially at that age

For the rest it is simply tribalism, We have our book, they have their book which is slightly different than ours, we flock on this tree, you flock on that one, come anywhere near and there will be trouble. 

If Islam works for Sinead, I say more power to her. It works for millions of people , why not her.And if she had problems in the past, perhaps this is the thing that will bring her peace.