How many Thais would lose out if you were no longer here ?

How many Thais would lose out if you were no longer here ?   

161 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

No one would lose out. If you are too poor to meet the requirements then you should not be living here just like all you retirees said about the digital nomads that were living here on back to back tourist visas before lol. Now the shoe is on the other foot and the amount to retire here is still very very small that even if everyone of the retired expats who couldn't meet the new rules left you would basically affect no one as the rich retirees and nomads here probably put 10-40x in the locals pockets compared to what you do scraping by.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why would leaving prevent you from supporting your family financially?   What kind of people are we?

If I had to leave through no fault of my own, I'd have the option of taking my family with me (they have the relevant passports), depending upon selling property here.  If they stayed in Thailand then I would still support them from abroad.

The survey suggests that if you leave Thailand then forget about your family here and go on with your own life.  That would be extremely selfish.

Therefore this survey is absolute nonsense.

6 minutes ago, HHTel said:

Why would leaving prevent you from supporting your family financially?   What kind of people are we?

If I had to leave through no fault of my own, I'd have the option of taking my family with me (they have the relevant passports), depending upon selling property here.  If they stayed in Thailand then I would still support them from abroad.

The survey suggests that if you leave Thailand then forget about your family here and go on with your own life.  That would be extremely selfish.

If you're only just scraping by here, but still providing support to a SO (+ kids), then it's unlikely you be in a position to take them to your home country, and if you were forced to return "home" then it's unlikely you would have any spare funds to send back to T/L.

I'd be very surprised if anyone could live in the UK on 40,000 bt equivalent, and still be able to contribute elsewhere (and this would certainly not be sufficient to be able to settle your family there).

But I do agree, the survey is a little too restrictive. 

31 minutes ago, HappyAndRich said:

Ok, I am not aware of that world. That due to that I find it natural that both persons in a relationship work and have a salury they can make a life out of. For me it´s not a healthy relation when one single part and the whole family around have to depend on another single person. Choice or no choice, it´s just simply negative.

It is as it is, you just have to say yes to it. My partner,the mother of my son, owns 220 rai of paddy field, thats a lot but experience has shown that it's not a reliable source of income hence most farmers are heavily in debt, too reliant on weather, market price, water availability etc. this year there wasn't a lot of rain in our area, the rice survived but the yield is low, in other years we've had 50 tons of rice and a very low market price but the production costs are high, we'er all here to do what we'er all here to do.

17 minutes ago, HHTel said:

You can't just take your family along with you, in the UK you need to show a certain amount of income to bring family along, what if for various reasons you can't marry your partner or your partner's/wife's parents are elderly and need your support, the children are nearing the end of their studies, you cant find a buyer, have no place to go to in the UK,it's not easy.

1 minute ago, Vacuum said:

Yes, but somehow they did get by before we met them. They will of course find a new 'supplier' if we should leave.

depends what you mean by get by, my two stepdaughters were malnourished when they came under my wing despite my partner having two jobs (Isaan wages) and struggling to keep her land from the bank after two failed harvests. Things are different now of course with one daughter having a university degree and the other preparing to enter collage to get a navy officers patent, the only one with debt now is me but I have the satisfaction of knowing I have changed several peoples lives enormously in a positive way, so sod the debt.

Once again an ill thought out poll.

Not only would 13 thais and their families loose out in my immediate circle, but also three farangs ( europeans), would also loose out.

That is before I take into account staff, more staff and support people.

Stop thinking in terms of Baht and start kicking your own butts to bring your tourists back.

Phuket killed the golden goose, fried it on an open fire along side the road, fed it it the people, now they are crying  .  .  . No money.

Eat the soi dogs and sum num na.

You could not prepare yourselves from one hour to the next.

Tourists have gone to safer more friendly lands.

Your high season is going to be lower than shark sht.

Blame TAT for the lying figures they give out.

555 you cant fool tourists, only uneducated locals with drivel figures.

I have no sympathy for greedy little imbiciles.

2 hours ago, Card said:

Equally, nothing about gay or single expats - only about married ones. A very exclusive survey, showing ignorance of a diverse expat community with equally diverse responsibilities and commitments.

Sorry you feel that way, no harm was intened - and when I posted it I was under the impression you could add 'other'. It's not about ignorance. But this is once again a typical 'the world is aginst me' reply. Simple reply could have been, sorry cannot answer as I cannot add option, please add one next time. 

The aim was purely to see what % had peopele that relied on them. basically highlighting that if for whatever reason people had to leave, that immigration or the government should be prepared to be supporting 66% or so of all their Thais that are now destitute due to their changes in the laws to live here.

4 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

Sorry you feel that way, no harm was intened - and when I posted it I was under the impression you could add 'other'. It's not about ignorance. But this is once again a typical 'the world is aginst me' reply. Simple reply could have been, sorry cannot answer as I cannot add option, please add one next time. 

The aim was purely to see what % had peopele that relied on them. basically highlighting that if for whatever reason people had to leave, that immigration or the government should be prepared to be supporting 66% or so of all their Thais that are now destitute due to their changes in the laws to live here.

Like they will do that

45 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

You can't just take your family along with you, in the UK you need to show a certain amount of income to bring family along, what if for various reasons you can't marry your partner or your partner's/wife's parents are elderly and need your support, the children are nearing the end of their studies, you cant find a buyer, have no place to go to in the UK,it's not easy.

if it is only half as bad as above states, then I guess one must have put themselfs in deep shit.

Quite funny this. The lengths people will go to. "I want to open a new thread about the decision of the UK and US embassy decision to stop income letters but I know it will be closed immediatly. What should I do? I know I will open a totally meaningless topic about who will be affected by it. I will place it in the visa section, maybe they wont notice it. I want to get 100's of pointless posts, just like the other threads on the issue."

5 minutes ago, HappyAndRich said:

if it is only half as bad as above states, then I guess one must have put themselfs in deep shit.

yes, but I for one don't intend to leave except by way of the crematorium even though :-

There are paths that guide our way

rough hew them how we may.

On 10/27/2018 at 9:57 AM, jvs said:

So far only talk about relationships,how about maids,gardeners and pool cleaners?

The places you shop and eat?

If one person leaves it is not too bad but what if 10 people leave?

I have 4 staff - so yes they would suffer.

I think what jvs was saying - is that if you leave - there may be a knock on effort to businesses, shops, less VAT .

I rarely criticise Thai people, but the Government perhaps needs to wake up to the fact that many 10s of thousands of retirees provide a steady flow of income to the exchequer- they should be encouraged to live in the Kingdom. 

Personally I don’t quite understand all the hysteria ( probably orchestrated by Costa Rica ) it will be fine - no need to leave. 

9 minutes ago, peterb17 said:

I have 4 staff - so yes they would suffer.

I think what jvs was saying - is that if you leave - there may be a knock on effort to businesses, shops, less VAT .

I rarely criticise Thai people, but the Government perhaps needs to wake up to the fact that many 10s of thousands of retirees provide a steady flow of income to the exchequer- they should be encouraged to live in the Kingdom. 

Personally I don’t quite understand all the hysteria ( probably orchestrated by Costa Rica ) it will be fine - no need to leave. 

What's behind this thread?

Is there any substantive information / facts indicating that thousands of foreign husbands and fathers are about to all deported simply because they are foreigners? 

1 minute ago, scorecard said:

There's an option missing - families who would not suffer because the foreign husband / father would continue to fully / partly support them long-term. Funds can easily be sent into Thailand.

If you are living on a pension in farangland you would have nothing left to send, if you could afford to support two households there would be no need to leave.

4 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

If you are living on a pension in farangland you would have nothing left to send, if you could afford to support two households there would be no need to leave.

Sure, but not all farang are on a pension. Plenty of foreigners here are younger to much younger and working / in careers, etc.

Very few people are getting the point of the post, I think. Plus the post is rather vague and too narrow. I live in Chiang Mai. It's hard to get a handle on population numbers but let's say CM has a pop of 250k. Let's say there are 25k expats living here, not just passing thru, not backpacking, actually living here. If we are 10% of the population I bet we are 20% or more of the economy. The majority are middle to upper middle class to wealthy, by Thai standards. Even if half of us decided to leave because of visa BS a 10% hit to the economy would devastate the city. RE prices would collapse, restaurants, medical services, etc., it would be like the Great Recession but maybe worse. Plus, unlike immigrants in many countries (I'm USA), we take virtually nothing from the system. An efficient Immigration Office is about all we ask for, really. I hope someone in the gov looks at this once in a while...

12 minutes ago, DavidAlexander said:

Very few people are getting the point of the post, I think. Plus the post is rather vague and too narrow. I live in Chiang Mai. It's hard to get a handle on population numbers but let's say CM has a pop of 250k. Let's say there are 25k expats living here, not just passing thru, not backpacking, actually living here. If we are 10% of the population I bet we are 20% or more of the economy. The majority are middle to upper middle class to wealthy, by Thai standards. Even if half of us decided to leave because of visa BS a 10% hit to the economy would devastate the city. RE prices would collapse, restaurants, medical services, etc., it would be like the Great Recession but maybe worse. Plus, unlike immigrants in many countries (I'm USA), we take virtually nothing from the system. An efficient Immigration Office is about all we ask for, really. I hope someone in the gov looks at this once in a while...

I was thinking along your lines as well and from a rough guestimate of say 1 million expats and say on average spent 15k a month that equates to 15,000,000,000 being spent on basic living expenses.  So the 30 baht here and there many people think dont add up really does.    The bigger difference is this money Thailand did not have to earn it from exports it came straight from international coffers and as it came from retirees, foriegn goverments would have been hoping it would have been reinvested locally into its own economy.  I have yet to see how the russian and chinese money have made any difference to rural thailand.

Archived