How many Thais would lose out if you were no longer here ?

How many Thais would lose out if you were no longer here ?   

161 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

None. Wife & extended family are financially independent.

If, for whatever reasons I could not remain in Thailand my Wife & Son would come with me to wherever else I ended up (most likely back in the UK).

It would likely be that then the Wife becomes financially dependent on me until she sources work.

4 minutes ago, theoldgit said:

This question has nothing to do with visas to other countries, so I'll move it to general.

I think it maybe related to the idea that the recent changes in policy that the Embassies are no longer providing ‘affirmation of income’ letters some members may find it difficult to meet the visa requirements which in turn would / may impact dependents... 

13 minutes ago, colinneil said:

None, my wife does not depend on me, her income is more than mine.

The outlaws get bugger all from me.

Same-same, but different. I had to adjust to being a kept man.

My outlaws are the ones who buy me beer occasionally.

8 minutes ago, jvs said:

So far only talk about relationships,how about maids,gardeners and pool cleaners?

The places you shop and eat?

If one person leaves it is not too bad but what if 10 people leave?

They would be able to find work elsewhere? 

How many foreigners here employ gardeners & pool cleaners? And those that do are likely not to have issues meeting visa requirements.

I suspect if those unable to secure affirmation of income (and thus had to leave Thailand because they were unable to meet the visa requirements) were living in an expat enclave a handful of local businesses may be impacted. 

11 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

They would be able to find work elsewhere? 

How many foreigners here employ gardeners & pool cleaners? And those that do are likely not to have issues meeting visa requirements.

I suspect if those unable to secure affirmation of income (and thus had to leave Thailand because they were unable to meet the visa requirements) were living in an expat enclave a handful of local businesses may be impacted. 

Yes you are right but everybody needs to eat and as you say a handful of local people may be affected.It will just be a little bit less income for many people,again.

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

I think it maybe related to the idea that the recent changes in policy that the Embassies are no longer providing ‘affirmation of income’ letters some members may find it difficult to meet the visa requirements which in turn would / may impact dependents... 

Indeed, which in itself has nothing to do with applying for Visas to other countries.

I don't know any Thai that would directly lose a satang if all expatriates left. My wife and all her friends i know of would be the same. We do have a few aquaintences that would be finished if tourists stopped doing Andaman day trips.

We know a lot of national park staff, but they would not lose income or jobs.

My wife works. She would definitely get knocked on her heels financially, but I require her to pay a share.

NONE

Why is topics like this even started? How can a person think that a country depend on them? Seriously insane. Thailand will do perfect on only Asian tourism, due to that it is the by far biggest tuorism sector. We just have to crawl back under the rock we came from, and be grateful that Thailand still want us, as some of us behave.

3 minutes ago, HappyAndRich said:

Why is topics like this even started? How can a person think that a country depend on them? Seriously insane. Thailand will do perfect on only Asian tourism, due to that it is the by far biggest tuorism sector. We just have to crawl back under the rock we came from, and be grateful that Thailand still want us, as some of us behave.

Agreed, but there would still be many members on this forum saying "my rock is bigger than yours". Quite sad mentality really.

Find me the current BOT publication like this one below and I’ll tell you.

https://www.bot.or.th/Thai/MonetaryPolicy/ArticleAndResearch/SymposiumDocument/2543paper1.pdf

To really understand the concept of “how many Thais do you support” you must first understand อัตราการหมุนของเงิน (Velocity of Money)

For example.  If I spend ฿xxxx on foot massage, and then the masseuse goes and spends ฿xxx at the local market and so on and so on...  

Bottom line is...our money coming from outside their system adds more to the Thai GDP than just the money we directly spend on goods and services.

Easy I am spending about 3.000.000 Baht a year At 20000 a month for an average salary, that's about 12 to 13 people working for me. There are some imports though but I reckon their share is limited as I pay a lot for services.

On Sat Oct 27 2018 at 9:57 AM, jvs said:

So far only talk about relationships,how about maids,gardeners and pool cleaners?

Equally, nothing about gay or single expats - only about married ones. A very exclusive survey, showing ignorance of a diverse expat community with equally diverse responsibilities and commitments.

14 hours ago, HappyAndRich said:

No the country doesn't depend on us but our Thai dependants do, in my case 2 stepdaughters (one who I've put through university, the second will follow ) my 11 year old son, my partner, my estranged wife who I help out financially, my 2 year old step grand daughter who I look after so her mother can work (we have a strong bond so I am carer of first choice ) 

On 10/27/2018 at 1:57 PM, jvs said:

The OP should really modify his poll.

Many people can't vote and then can't see the result...

What about :

- member not (or no more) married

- member married but not to a Thai person

- member female
- etc.

14 hours ago, Sheryl said:

And that you would leave your wife and children behind if you left Thailand  ????

Agree. Crazy :tongue:

57 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

No the country doesn't depend on us but our Thai dependants do, in my case 2 stepdaughters (one who I've put through university, the second will follow ) my 11 year old son, my partner, my estranged wife who I help out financially, my 2 year old step grand daughter who I look after so her mother can work (we have a strong bond so I am carer of first choice ) 

Ok, I am not aware of that world. That due to that I find it natural that both persons in a relationship work and have a salury they can make a life out of. For me it´s not a healthy relation when one single part and the whole family around have to depend on another single person. Choice or no choice, it´s just simply negative.

Archived