How many Thais would lose out if you were no longer here ?

How many Thais would lose out if you were no longer here ?   

161 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

19 hours ago, HappyAndRich said:

Why is topics like this even started? How can a person think that a country depend on them? Seriously insane. Thailand will do perfect on only Asian tourism, due to that it is the by far biggest tuorism sector. We just have to crawl back under the rock we came from, and be grateful that Thailand still want us, as some of us behave.

Exactly 100% agree,,,,,,,if they can’t afford the 800,000 bht in bank option,it shows they can’t even take care themselves...lol

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, soalbundy said:

You can't just take your family along with you, in the UK you need to show a certain amount of income to bring family along, what if for various reasons you can't marry your partner or your partner's/wife's parents are elderly and need your support, the children are nearing the end of their studies, you cant find a buyer, have no place to go to in the UK,it's not easy.

I did say that I (me) had the option.  I didn't say it was an option for everyone.  My family fortunately have British passports so taking them to the UK is no problem.  Jobs are available there but for a much higher salary.  My Thai/English daughter went back to the UK 2 years ago.  She walked into a job in the first couple of weeks.  She has more usable income than she would have had here.  She rents a property in London and is doing well.  She left when 18 and now 20.

I agree that others, especially ones who are not married, would have problems.

1 hour ago, BigT73 said:

I was thinking along your lines as well and from a rough guestimate of say 1 million expats and say on average spent 15k a month that equates to 15,000,000,000 being spent on basic living expenses.  So the 30 baht here and there many people think dont add up really does.    The bigger difference is this money Thailand did not have to earn it from exports it came straight from international coffers and as it came from retirees, foriegn goverments would have been hoping it would have been reinvested locally into its own economy.  I have yet to see how the russian and chinese money have made any difference to rural thailand.

One million expats!!  So you are including ones from Myanmar, Laos, Cambodia.  Those are here to work and send money back home.  Your figures don't add up.

1 hour ago, BigT73 said:

I was thinking along your lines as well and from a rough guestimate of say 1 million expats and say on average spent 15k a month that equates to 15,000,000,000 being spent on basic living expenses.  So the 30 baht here and there many people think dont add up really does.    The bigger difference is this money Thailand did not have to earn it from exports it came straight from international coffers and as it came from retirees, foriegn goverments would have been hoping it would have been reinvested locally into its own economy.  I have yet to see how the russian and chinese money have made any difference to rural thailand.

15k seems very low if you are in any city, BKK must be a min of 45k I think.

5 minutes ago, DavidAlexander said:

it came straight from international coffers and as it came from retirees,

Retirees that bring money into this country is quite small.  The figures you are quoting, sorry to say is nonsense.  Most of the expats you are including send money out of the country, not the other way around.

In terms of the survey, none. I'm the icing on the cake. I could choose to take my Horn of Cornucopia elsewhere. I'm very tempted but I'm lazy. Life is easy, why fix something that ain't broke, yet. Sunk costs drag me back, but what's a few million bt among friends, it's not like it's serious money. Ha! The day I start caring is the day I know it's time to leave. I threw away more in my youth getting rid of an annoying woman. 

19 minutes ago, HHTel said:

Retirees that bring money into this country is quite small.  The figures you are quoting, sorry to say is nonsense.  Most of the expats you are including send money out of the country, not the other way around.

You need to get more out and about, and thats why I said 15k as its a basic living expense it can easily triple that.  Even the digital nomads are spending here how else could they survive by sending everything home LOL?

Given my input has been to support the self sufficiency family model, in that when I "shuffle off this mortal coil" My Thai family will enjoy a reasonable lifestyle, I am under no illusion that my contribution is anything other than inconsequential as far as the Thai economy is concerned.

Would my wife and family miss my support, yes a little I guess, but I like to think they would be ok, after all, that has been my aim for some years now.

I think that a lot of Thai depend on farang for their incomes.

i think about cleaning women , gardeners, security, and don’t forget a lot of Thai in building and construction, specially for farang. 

If I look around me, some old Thai pensioners have an extra income  with doing little stuff for farang, as they only get between 300 and 600 baht a month as retired 

49 minutes ago, BigT73 said:

You need to get more out and about, and thats why I said 15k as its a basic living expense it can easily triple that.  Even the digital nomads are spending here how else could they survive by sending everything home LOL?

Wages in Thailand increased to 13788.56 THB/Month in the second quarter of 2018 from 13721.14 THB/Month in the first quarter of 2018. Wages in Thailand averaged 9457.05 THB/Month from 1999 until 2018, reaching an all time high of 13971.36 THB/Month in the fourth quarter of 2017 and a record low of 6344 THB/Month in the first quarter of 2000.

And Burmese and Cambodians work for less!

Should have listed another category for us without a family in Thailand   so guess my answer would be:

six bargirls in different bars I call to come visit.

two baht bus drivers who pick me up when ever I call day or night

one Moto-taxi in Bangkok same as above

seven or eight resturants I repeatedly frequent

and four soi dogs I somtimes feed when I have leftovers.

Peace

Should have listed another category for us without a family in Thailand   so guess my answer would be:

six bargirls in different bars I call to come visit.
two baht bus drivers who pick me up when ever I call day or night
one Moto-taxi in Bangkok same as above
seven or eight resturants I repeatedly frequent
and four soi dogs I somtimes feed when I have leftovers.

Peace

I already pointed out to the OP that the survey is flawed because it assumes all expats are married, to which he inferred that I am displaying some kind of victimhood.

Sent from my MI MAX 2 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

2 hours ago, DavidAlexander said:

15k seems very low if you are in any city, BKK must be a min of 45k I think.

I guess 1,000,000 expats includes itinerant labor / semi-skilled workers from Cambodia, Lao, Burma, etc. Perhaps also professional people (full expats) from western countries, Japan, China, Singapore etc., most of whom will return home or go to another assignment when their work goals here are fulfilled.  

So whats your total estimate of purely western folks who: 

- Are retired here, support themselves through own resources / pensions etc.,

- Plus westerners who live here but don't work here, support themselves through own resources,

- Plus western folks who brought themselves to Thailand to work (teachers etc.)?

Total estimate???

2 hours ago, HHTel said:

One million expats!!  So you are including ones from Myanmar, Laos, Cambodia.  Those are here to work and send money back home.  Your figures don't add up.

sorry i missed your first quote,  2010 consensus 2.83 mill total expats about 1.8 from burma laos neighbouring who work here.  My figure of 1 million was answering ops question of foriegners who bring money into the country.

9 hours ago, soalbundy said:

No the country doesn't depend on us but our Thai dependants do, in my case 2 stepdaughters (one who I've put through university, the second will follow ) my 11 year old son, my partner, my estranged wife who I help out financially, my 2 year old step grand daughter who I look after so her mother can work (we have a strong bond so I am carer of first choice ) 

good lookin out... good job. 

7 hours ago, steve73 said:

If you're only just scraping by here, but still providing support to a SO (+ kids), then it's unlikely you be in a position to take them to your home country, and if you were forced to return "home" then it's unlikely you would have any spare funds to send back to T/L.

I'd be very surprised if anyone could live in the UK on 40,000 bt equivalent, and still be able to contribute elsewhere (and this would certainly not be sufficient to be able to settle your family there).

But I do agree, the survey is a little too restrictive. 

Just watched a tv travel program in UK where a basic 3 course lunch cost £30 each ! 

On ‎10‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 9:40 AM, camble said:

Many poor Issan farmers are depending on their young daughters to send my money home

And it is the daughters of those poor Issan farmers that would be out of pocket if/when I leave. Never had a Thai wife, but I do support a lot of "them poor daughters".

On 10/27/2018 at 8:04 PM, HappyAndRich said:

Why is topics like this even started? How can a person think that a country depend on them? Seriously insane. Thailand will do perfect on only Asian tourism, due to that it is the by far biggest tuorism sector. We just have to crawl back under the rock we came from, and be grateful that Thailand still want us, as some of us behave.

The question really relates to guys that are buying their girlfriends and wives with monthly or more frequent regular payments. Must be close to half a million guys like that, tag on family it equates to a few million. So would have quite a devastating effect on many.

2 hours ago, BigT73 said:

sorry i missed your first quote,  2010 consensus 2.83 mill total expats about 1.8 from burma laos neighbouring who work here.  My figure of 1 million was answering ops question of foriegners who bring money into the country.

Less than 300,00 from Europe and the States.  How many of those are retired bringing money into the country?  Many are working here.

Friends, I spent many days in deep agony. Rolling on the floor and biting into the carpet. Afraid that all my Farang  Buddies in Thailand will have been forced to leave for Timbuktu !!!

In despair, I called Lulu from "Lulus Bar and Grill". She told me to drink more Beer and think less.

"Farang big men and Thai big men will talk 10 kilo, after that, everything same same but more money."
I trust she is right. I value her opinion. After all, she was the one that kept me from buying the Brooklin Bridge a while ago.
Cheers.

4 hours ago, HHTel said:

Less than 300,00 from Europe and the States.  How many of those are retired bringing money into the country?  Many are working here.

Hi. I am French and managed to find a few statistics on the Embassy website.

No direct answers to the "Income Letter problem" but still interesting (I think)

Most data from 2017 by Bangkok Embassy/Consulate :

• 12'974 French people registered at the Embassy
  • 30'100 living in Thailand. ( Estimation based on Consulate's activity statistics (documents for birth, marriage, life, death...). Many people do not register to not lost some advantages/benefit in France )
  • 3.1% annual increase of number of people
  • 30.5% are female, 69.5% (only) are male
  • 73% are less than 60 yo
  • 40.5yo average age (31.8 for female, 44.2 for male)

Repartition:

• 51% Bangkok
  • 12% Pattaya
  • 9% Phuket
  • 7% Chiang Mai

Very far from the caricature that says: Most are old men living in Pattaya :wink:

6 hours ago, Ctkong said:

Just watched a tv travel program in UK where a basic 3 course lunch cost £30 each ! 

I still get emails from my local pub where a roast dinner and a pint of beer is £5.95....many other offers also.  Agreed most places are expensive but are still bargains to be found

Zero.  Not married.   No GF at the moment, but even if I had one I wouldn't be supporting her or her family.

My landlord would stop getting rent but I'm sure she could find a new tenant (I've got a couple of friends who would jump at the chance to rent my place).

10 hours ago, Pattaya46 said:

Hi. I am French and managed to find a few statistics on the Embassy website.

No direct answers to the "Income Letter problem" but still interesting (I think)

Most data from 2017 by Bangkok Embassy/Consulate :

• 12'974 French people registered at the Embassy
  • 30'100 living in Thailand. ( Estimation based on Consulate's activity statistics (documents for birth, marriage, life, death...). Many people do not register to not lost some advantages/benefit in France )
  • 3.1% annual increase of number of people
  • 30.5% are female, 69.5% (only) are male
  • 73% are less than 60 yo
  • 40.5yo average age (31.8 for female, 44.2 for male)

Repartition:

• 51% Bangkok
  • 12% Pattaya
  • 9% Phuket
  • 7% Chiang Mai

Very far from the caricature that says: Most are old men living in Pattaya :wink:

Estimated 30,100 French folks living in Thailand, now broader that out to a number for all farang countries having folks living in Thailand, seems to me the total would be well under the 1,000,000 number that's been suggested. 

On 10/28/2018 at 10:26 PM, scorecard said:

Estimated 30,100 French folks living in Thailand, now broader that out to a number for all farang countries having folks living in Thailand, seems to me the total would be well under the 1,000,000 number that's been suggested. 

Would like to see the true numbers that are residing/hiding out throughout rural and countryside Thailand.

I'm guessing that it's quite substantial - more so than some might consider. 

Probably fills in a goodly percentage towards the whole.

Archived