Free to fall: No extra safety precautions for rock climbers despite American tourist’s death

rooster59

Free to fall: No extra safety precautions for rock climbers despite American tourist’s death 

By Tavee Adam

image.jpg

A rock climber hangs from one of the sheer rock faces at Ao Nang. Photo: Chen Hu

PHUKET: Officials at the Hat Noppharat Thara - Mu Koh Phi Phi National Park, the Krabi Tourist Police and even the Ao Nang Tambon Administration Organisation (OrBorTor) all will do nothing to help prevent another rock climbing accident at Railay Beach, famed for its sheer rock faces that visiting tourists scale while on holiday in the area.

The confirmation that no extra precautionary measures will be taken for rock climbers follows the death of American tourist Priell Schmalbach, who fell while climbing at Railay Beach last Tuesday (Oct 16).

He was recovered from the scene unconscious, never to wake again. His family asked for Mr Schmalbach to be taken off life support last Wednesday night (Oct 17). (See stories here and here.)

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/free-to-fall-no-extra-safety-precautions-for-rock-climbers-despite-american-tourist-death-69119.php#qg33z2IHFEySaEqj.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2018-10-27

9 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

I agree. People who does this type of activity, do it because they get a kick/thrill from the danger that is involved. It's the same with people using drugs, gambling, driving at very high speeds etc. Your brain will release 'chemicals' that make you feel good. If activities like these would be 100% safe, without any risks, they would be pointless.

I don't agree, i was doing quite a lot of climbing, on mountains and walls, and i can assure you that most of the people get quite a thrill in doing that with as much precautions as they can get.

It's not clear though, in this case, if the poor American guy was unlucky or just reckless.

"Officials at the Hat Noppharat Thara - Mu Koh Phi Phi National Park, the Krabi Tourist Police /// all will do nothing to help prevent another rock climbing accident at Railay Beach, ..."

Good! Post signs warning of the extreme risk of accidents and fatalities.

Climb at your own risk.  You fall---you die.

Edited by ratcatcher
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, DoctorG said:

I heard that they were installing giant trampolines around the base.

:tongue:

Sometimes no need of giant trampolines;

I was lucky to stay a few years near Marseille, France,

with many climbing tracks were just above the sea :smile:

escalade-calanque-du-mauvais-pas-marseil

topo-copie-5.jpg

etc.

Rock climbing is dangerous, everyone who does this sport knows that perfectly well. The only thing this article does is to put pressure on authorities and they might ban climbing as a consequence. 

What I find strange is that they won’t give any explanation on how the accident happened. Was he free-soloing or doing something stupid?

Edited by pacovl46
Forgot something

6 hours ago, Vacuum said:

I agree. People who does this type of activity, do it because they get a kick/thrill from the danger that is involved. It's the same with people using drugs, gambling, driving at very high speeds etc. Your brain will release 'chemicals' that make you feel good. If activities like these would be 100% safe, without any risks, they would be pointless.

More foreigners killed cycling in Thailand than falling while rock climbing.

Some activities aren't safe, some places aren't safe.

• Like 1