6 months In a calendar year

On 10/29/2018 at 5:44 AM, a977 said:

If not resolved soon I can see a big hole in the Thai economy from all the expats leaving. Having a beer with a mate the other day he uses pension + super top up to live a decent lifestyle but to put 800,000 in Thai bank, no siree I'll just go back to Oz

I am US citizen, have always used the income letter because did not want to tie up or trust Thai bank with 800,000 baht.  I have my pension partially deposited into Bangkok Bank (approximately 65,000 baht a month) and do an online transfer from my  US bank to Bangkok Bank if I need more so will simply do the same and show Thai Immigration the monthly transfers to Bangkok bank of at least 65,000 baht.

Edited by Tony125

On October 29, 2018 at 6:29 AM, simoh1490 said:

50,000 expats times the 10% who refuse/can't/don't have the 800k Baht to keep in a bank in Thailand is a very very small number when compared to the USD 450 billion that is the Thai GDP. 

On October 29, 2018 at 6:29 AM, simoh1490 said:

50,000 expats times the 10% who refuse/can't/don't have the 800k Baht to keep in a bank in Thailand is a very very small number when compared to the USD 450 billion that is the Thai GDP. 

There is supposedly 2.5 million foreigners in this country. 1.8 are from Laos and other surrounding Asia countries....that leaves 700,000 other expats, a far cry from your 50,000. Let's say on average they spend $2000 a month, 24,000 dollars a year, that comes to $16,800,000,000 per year.....not small change. Even if you half it, which I don't think is realistic, it is still a large amount of money. 

32 minutes ago, Mansell said:

There is supposedly 2.5 million foreigners in this country. 1.8 are from Laos and other surrounding Asia countries....that leaves 700,000 other expats, a far cry from your 50,000. Let's say on average they spend $2000 a month, 24,000 dollars a year, that comes to $16,800,000,000 per year.....not small change. Even if you half it, which I don't think is realistic, it is still a large amount of money. 

My post was about British expats although I apologise that I didn't make that wholly clear. I don't think however that counting Asian expats on the same financial basis as western expats is valid.

The subject of how many expats in Thailand is often debated here, estimates range up to 5 million and here are some of the inputs, Burmese and Cambodians seem to top the list: http://www.dougsrepublic.com/thailand/foreigners.php

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Thailand

17 minutes ago, CALSinCM said:

I'd venture to say that if you're hear more than 6 months per year on a yearly basis, you're really not a tourist.

Why not? Why can't you travel around Thailand for more than 6 months in a year if you really love the country?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

Let's say on average they spend $2000 a month, 24,000 dollars a year, that comes to $16,800,000,000 per year.....not small change.

Might be worth bringing up with the Junta they could buy more subs if they had more farang here , no matter their income ! be giving out visas left right and centre. 

On 10/29/2018 at 2:30 PM, grego49 said:

Have to agree,why would anyone pull 800,000 baht out of a super fund usually getting 7% plus and put it in a thai bank and get what 1 1/2---2% interest..

Its called lifestyle choice I guess. 800,000 baht at 7% ROI (your example) is 56,000/yr. 800,000 baht in a twelve month term deposit (at Kasikornbank for example) is 10,400/yr - thats 45600 baht difference or 3800 baht per month. I don't know about you but I would think that the cost of living difference between Thailand and a western country would make it worth sacrificing 3800 baht a month to live there.

44 minutes ago, CALSinCM said:

I'd venture to say that if you're hear more than 6 months per year on a yearly basis, you're really not a tourist.

17 minutes ago, cat handler said:

why would a TOURIST be in Thailand for longer than 6 months in a year, that would suggest they arent tourists.

In Thai immigration law and ministerial orders, in the context of someone on a "Tourist Visa," status is defined by what you are not permitted to do in the country, with no reference to "time spent per year" or similar.   If someone has a reference to the contrary, please provide it.

Additional restrictions DO exist for "Visa Exempt" entries, to avoid their use as an inexpensive-means of consecutive-stays in the country via "out/in" border-bounces.  This was designed to weed-out the less affluent and potentially working-illegally.  Contrast to Tourist Visas, which require multi-day journeys to various locations, often showing proof of money, flights, etc.

At one time, there was a 90-days per 180-days Ministerial-order rule on Visa-Exempt use, though this was later withdrawn by a subsequent Ministerial-order.  Some believe this now-defunct Visa-Exempt rule is where the myth of a 180-days/year limit originated, while others believe it was due to Thailand's tax policy affecting incomes of those who stay over 180 days/yr.  Neither is pertinent.

That said, we are dealing with a situation where "rule of law" may be ignored at some points of entry, so it would be unwise to idealistically pretend otherwise.  IOs at these checkpoints may claim such a rule exists - have been reported to change the "per-year" to longer time-frames to achieve the desired count of days - and sometimes just claim "too much time" without any reference to the (non-existent) limit.  But, they always use a "real rule" for the rejection-stamps issued (recently often based on the visitor's financial-situation), regardless of the actual applicability to the individual being rejected.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

Might be worth bringing up with the Junta they could buy more subs if they had more farang here , no matter their income ! be giving out visas left right and centre. 

That's not my quote, it belongs to another poster, please change it.

5 hours ago, overherebc said:

Will the freedom to marry certificate be next on the chopping block??

I wondered the same thing.  The USA version has an income-clause in it - not sure how that will be handled.  At a couple amphurs where my now-wife and I tried to get married, they pointed out the USA's "no verification" disclaimer and rejected us based on that, alone.  Essentially, no Americans can get married at those amphoes - at least, not by applying directly w/o an agent's help.

44 minutes ago, wadsy said:

Its called lifestyle choice I guess. 800,000 baht at 7% ROI (your example) is 56,000/yr. 800,000 baht in a twelve month term deposit (at Kasikornbank for example) is 10,400/yr - thats 45600 baht difference or 3800 baht per month. I don't know about you but I would think that the cost of living difference between Thailand and a western country would make it worth sacrificing 3800 baht a month to live there.

Low cost of living in Thailand is a myth, I’m a British 6 months about man. Supermarkets, cars, even drink is cheaper in the U.K. once they realise. ( which they are slowly ) that accommodation is cheaper than the west and jump on the band wagon it’s game over.

I really love being in Thailand as I get older. I can afford it too, thank God. I also find winter at home to hard to bear more and more each year . I could not live completely in Thailand... too many flaws that drive me ting tong... I always need to come home , and then I need to go back.. and that’s fine , the best of both worlds and each appreciated more by absence. 50/50 ... 6 months home and away. Suits me. 

• Like 2

In many ways the Embassies brought this on their countryman as there was no checking 

as to if the income was  real. Just a stamp & sign whatever "declared"

Thai Immigration had many cases that through a misfortune they found out that the affidavit 

bore no resemblance to the actuality & had been wildly overstated

On 10/29/2018 at 2:44 AM, elviajero said:

That is not immigration making things harder. They have asked embassies to validate income presumably because of all the fraud, and the British and US embassies have refused. Immigration will still accept letters if the embassies issue them. 

That situation will no doubt get resolved.

That's not strictly true.  It is impossible for any embassy to verify income.  All they can do is certify the evidence given them.  Verification, certainly in the UK, would require getting around the Data Protection Laws.  Simply can't be done.

• Like 1

On 10/29/2018 at 1:05 PM, Jingthing said:

I don't think there is any way to know the percentage but since you're obviously guessing my guess is about 35 percent. As meaningless as your guess.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Well according the the British Embassy, they process around 3,000 income letters per year.  Take that as a percentage of the total number of UK expats living here.  Not a big percentage.

3 hours ago, Mansell said:

Your theory is super flawed.  Think it through and if stuck, I'll help you.

What does all the discussion about income letters and etc have to do with only allowing a 6 month stay on tourist visas. There are 2 or 3 topics about income  letters that is the place to discuss them.

Time to get back on topic or this topic will be closed.

On 10/29/2018 at 6:29 AM, simoh1490 said:

If it's such a small number and so trivial, why bother doing it?

1 hour ago, HHTel said:
On 10/28/2018 at 7:44 PM, elviajero said:

That is not immigration making things harder. They have asked embassies to validate income presumably because of all the fraud, and the British and US embassies have refused. Immigration will still accept letters if the embassies issue them. 

That situation will no doubt get resolved.

That's not strictly true.  It is impossible for any embassy to verify income.  All they can do is certify the evidence given them.  Verification, certainly in the UK, would require getting around the Data Protection Laws.  Simply can't be done.

It’s not impossible to validate every type of income. But it is completely impractical and I am not surprised the embassies have refused.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

What does all the discussion about income letters and etc have to do with only allowing a 6 month stay on tourist visas. There are 2 or 3 topics about income  letters that is the place to discuss them.

Time to get back on topic or this topic will be closed.

Time to end the off topic discussion.

The next off topic post will result in this topic being closed.

8 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

I must be missing something here. You want to spend more than six months in Thailand on a tourist visa and are under 50. But surely you are going to need 'some' months working to be able to afford to come and live here and enjoy it ? You must be on a good salary to work only 4-5 months a year or less to be able to spend time here - and not working here.  

A lot of under fifties could be renting out property in their home country.

On 10/29/2018 at 1:45 AM, elviajero said:

They are only stopping people trying to stay long term as tourists. Those people (me in the past) have got away with it for years and can’t really complain when the system gets enforced.

You said they are trying to make it harder for everyone, which they aren’t.

I think you are wrong, because one thing leads to another, especially as most of Thais regard us as tourists, irrespectively of which visa one may hold.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IsaanFam said:
On 28 October 2018 at 6:45 PM, elviajero said:

They are only stopping people trying to stay long term as tourists. Those people (me in the past) have got away with it for years and can’t really complain when the system gets enforced.

You said they are trying to make it harder for everyone, which they aren’t.

I think you are wrong, because one thing leads to another, especially as most of Thais regard us as tourists, irrespectively of which visa one may hold.

Immigration consider us all visitors, not tourists. They allow visitors to visit for certain reasons, tourism being one of many.

I see no evidence of them making it harder for "everyone". Anyone that can meet the criteria for one of the reasons to visit has no problem getting permission to stay or extending that stay. 

Most of the small changes they make tend to be in response to the misuse of, what is, a lax system full of loopholes, and fraud.

• Like 1