6 months In a calendar year

I  was watching kev in Thailand live stream just few minutes ago, and there was a guy that comment And said that a friend of him in the Cardiff consulate, soon tourists will only be able to spend 6 months in a calendar year in Thailand, anyone heard something about it ??

Thailand really needs to have some options for those under 50 years / not married to a thai, hard to stay here unless you can afford the elite visa or you want, learn thai get det ed visa... 

If you don't mind travelling you could still move around SE Asia with not too much effort ... stay 3 months in Thailand then jump somewhere else ... Philippines offers long stay options ... then jump back to Thailand. Or, as stated above, do the Ed Visa. 

It looks to me that the authorities are trying to make it harder for everyone, with the 800,000 Baht deposit to restrictions on the under 50's. Travellers will need to be more flexible and move around. Requires a slightly larger budget, but doable.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, elviajero said:

There has been nothing official about limiting tourism to 6 months per year, but I will not be surprised if/when it happens.

Yes, I am in agreement with this.  Would actually be a sensible law insomuch that it would make things totally clear about how much time one can spend in the country without a non-immigrant / long stay visa.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, AlexRich said:

I've just been reading about the withdrawal of income letters from the British Embassy, US too if my memory serves me right. The over 50's with a regular income but not 800,000 Baht will have to deposit the cash rather than show the income ... that's making things more difficult for them. 

That is not immigration making things harder. They have asked embassies to validate income presumably because of all the fraud, and the British and US embassies have refused. Immigration will still accept letters if the embassies issue them. 

That situation will no doubt get resolved.

• Like 2

That is not immigration making things harder. They have asked embassies to validate income presumably because of all the fraud, and the British and US embassies have refused. Immigration will still accept letters if the embassies issue them. 

That situation will no doubt get resolved.
Yes and no. Nobody knows that TI Have asked "embassies" apart from the 2 mentioned which coincidently happen to be the 2 biggest in the West.

That's what we know is true. The next 7 days will start to create a better picture

I cannot believe that immigration would impose a condition on these two nationalities that they won’t impose on others 

We will soon know.
There is also the possibly that TI were caught off guard when those 2 pushed back which they might not have expected

Your right, time will tell
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, a977 said:

If not resolved soon I can see a big hole in the Thai economy from all the expats leaving. Having a beer with a mate the other day he uses pension + super top up to live a decent lifestyle but to put 800,000 in Thai bank, no siree I'll just go back to Oz

Have to agree,why would anyone pull 800,000 baht out of a super fund usually getting 7% plus and put it in a thai bank and get what 1 1/2---2% interest..

3 hours ago, JackThompson said:

Where did you get the 10% figure?  Based on those I've talked to, I'd guess 80% use either income-letters or agents - and more will now go the agent-route.  Some of those may have the money, but don't want to tie it up here.  Cambodia, Vietnam, and the PI will benefit from those who don't switch to agents. 

10% is my finger in the air guess of the number of western expats who are nor prepared/don/t have 800k into a Thai bank, the number is certainly no higher than that, the rest will have the funds and will bite the bullet and deposit the money into an account here.

Cambodia and the PI will benefit you say, hmm, perhaps from those expats who are prepared to live in the wild west with no infrastructure, no decent medical facilities and the law of the gun!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

I don't think there is any way to know the percentage but since you're obviously guessing my guess is about 35 percent. As meaningless as your guess.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Fine, make it 35%, even at that level the impact of the loss on GDP is nada, niet, nothing.

13 hours ago, AlexRich said:

I've just been reading about the withdrawal of income letters from the British Embassy, US too if my memory serves me right. The over 50's with a regular income but not 800,000 Baht will have to deposit the cash rather than show the income ... that's making things more difficult for them. 

They are making it difficult for all foreigners to stay here, including the grey nomads as you have mentioned. Very soon NO foreigners will be allowed to  live in Thailand. ????????????

Edited by bbi1
  • Haha 1

On 10/29/2018 at 5:02 PM, mockingbird said:

So a friend of a guy who appears in a YouTube bloggers clip said this is happening.

Must be true then.

<deleted>. ????

Yes he said that, but I replied to him I haven’t heard anything of that, so that’s why I’m starting this topic, I try to be little bit up to date on the visas and stuff here.

im 25 years old living in Thailand find it hard, so Is there any country near Thailand where I can stay long term without issue? 

16 hours ago, bbi1 said:

They are making it difficult for all foreigners to stay here, including the grey nomads as you have mentioned. Very soon NO foreigners will be allowed to  live in Thailand. ????????????

Will the freedom to marry certificate be next on the chopping block??

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RichardColeman said:

You must be on a good salary to work only 4-5 months a year or less to be able to spend time here - and not working here.  

I know a guy from Sweden that does it, as he lives over 180 days abroad he's not considered a tax resident in Sweden, consider half his income in Sweden would go to pay taxes.