Network reports big gains in plastic-use reduction

webfact

Network reports big gains in plastic-use reduction

By The Nation

ca0a0643ebb0f50af997fd9aa53032b7.jpeg

A network of 30 universities across the country has succeeded in reducing the number of single-use plastic bags, utensils and cups by 41 million pieces so far this year, it was announced during the Sustainable University Network of Thailand Conference 2018 hosted by Thammasat University (TU) on October 25-26 at its Rangsit Campus.

The 30 universities’ plastic-use reduction campaign was aimed at setting a good example for Thai society to achieve the United Nations Sustainable Development Goal 12 to ensure sustainable consumption and production and to seriously and urgently help tackle Global Warming and Climate Change, TU deputy rector Parinya Thewanarumitkul said in his capacity as chairman of the network.

6ee92f23aaedc8a3c02fc1e1f94983e0.jpeg

The network, established in 2016, has this year campaigned for the reduction of plastic use at convenience stores, canteens and shops within university compounds. In cooperation with the private sector, especially CP All, they managed to slash use by 41 million plastic pieces by October, he said. 

At TU, plastic utensils and plastic bags (except for hot food containers) have been banned since May. Washable glasses have replaced single-use plastic cups and a discount is offered to those bringing their own glasses, he said. This had led to reduction of 80,000 plastic utensils, 250,000 drinking straws and 120,000 plastic cups per month at the university’s two campuses, he said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30357353

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-10-29
  • Like 1

In Thailand the reduction in 'plastic' is something of a joke. A local Supermarket company in Chiang Mai with multiple shops changed their plastic containers for cut fruit into much thinner ones to save on plastic. So what do they do now, wrap each container in multiple layers of PLASTIC cling film in case the thin plastic splits open. Plastic saving NIL. The same supermarket that every Wednesday bans plastic bags and gives you a cardboard box if you do not have your own cloth reusable bags.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, pedro01 said:

I went shopping with my daughter on Saturday.

She had a paper bag for a dress we got, then to another shop where she got 2 t-shirts.

She told them to put the 2 t-shirts in her paper bag - which they did AFTER putting each t-shirt in a plastic bag and then putting those into another larger plastic bag.

My daughter was dumfounded. She couldn't believe the 2 women in the shop didn't 'get' that the intent was to reduce plastic use.

She's 9 years old....

Quick - put her in charge of the initiative.

7 hours ago, neeray said:

Any effort is a good effort. 

This is how a movement starts. 

We Farangs need to set an example (even if some laugh at us). 

Oh, blessed Farang.

What would they do without the likes of Farang to show them the correct path.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, pedro01 said:

I went shopping with my daughter on Saturday.

She had a paper bag for a dress we got, then to another shop where she got 2 t-shirts.

She told them to put the 2 t-shirts in her paper bag - which they did AFTER putting each t-shirt in a plastic bag and then putting those into another larger plastic bag.

My daughter was dumfounded. She couldn't believe the 2 women in the shop didn't 'get' that the intent was to reduce plastic use.

She's 9 years old....

And the 2 women working in that shop scratch their heads and wonder why they are only worth Baht 300/day... 

• Like 1