1st-class drama: Thai Airways sides with passengers over pilots

snoop1130

1 hour ago, jabis said:

I was under the impression that the flight at hand did not even differentiate first and business class in any way, except a curtain in between... Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I really don't think there would have been such a fuss if so.

3 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

I really don't think there would have been such a fuss if so.

Easy to substantiate - get the flight code and check from flightradar24 the layout, and compare that to what actually flew to destination, then cross reference to Thai Airways fleet which tail number they had ????

5 hours ago, Thian said:

No word about how they compensate the passengers.....so they all got a coupon for a free somtam at Swampy..

Or perhaps a complimentary pilots uniform and cap as a nice souvenir. 

Actually I'm surprised there wasn't a line up of Th personnel at the door of the arriving aircraft, at Swampy, one staff for each passenger, all classes, to give all of them an enormous oversize sheath of fresh flowers. Ahh presentation without substance always a winner.

Or a complimentary voucher for the taxi ride home, but the taxi driver decided half way that he wanted 1,000Baht ++ cash instead of the voucher and dumped they on a bridge when they objected. And calling Th complaints useless because they all went home early to collect their kids from school.

Edited by scorecard
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

I don't know if they still do it, but Thai First passengers used to get a gratis pyjama set for long haul.

With Th insignia, including one of the aircraft painted black, and hopefully the back of the pajama top signed personally by the pilot crew? 

Edited by scorecard

28 minutes ago, jabis said:

Easy to substantiate - get the flight code and check from flightradar24 the layout, and compare that to what actually flew to destination, then cross reference to Thai Airways fleet which tail number they had ????

Well if you actually read the Khaosod article, it was scheduled to to be a 777-300, which has dedicated crew quarters, and is a 2 class layout, to an older 747 3 class cabin layout

• Thanks 1

Just now, GinBoy2 said:

Well if you actually read the Khaosod article, it was scheduled to to be a 777-300, which has dedicated crew quarters, and is a 2 class layout, to an older 747 3 class cabin layout

For the flyboys, are the seats in the dedicated crew quarters wide full lay down and is there proper blankets and pillows etc., and full cabin crew service?

7 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

You see you answered my question there - no 1st class tickets sold, but only business - a "downgrade" would've been be a seat reallocation at best. A lot of bitching over nothing. Poorly managed shitshow ????

• Like 1

I think this is down to contract of employment, I think it is reasonable that Pilots can expect first class travel when travelling to assignments when planed in advance, at short notice this can be difficult and I doubt any first class passenger would give up their seat even for a hefty cash sum, better doing deal with the pilots, like taking the jump seats, and bunking down in crew quarters.

Captain, station chief blamed for delay

By THE NATION

e9bd3f2a6e842fc1800271d015f5ef5d.jpeg

Thai Airways International executives bow in apology over a flight delay stemming from two off-duty pilots' insistence on being given first-class seats. In the middle is THAI president Sumeth Damrongchaitham.

THAI AIRWAYS International (THAI) has promised disciplinary action after an investigation found both the flight captain and the Zurich station manager had acted unethically in the delayed Zurich-Bangkok flight on October 11.

THAI president Sumeth Damrongchaitham apologised for the incident and said the investigation showed that the problems happened due to lack of coordination between the flight captain and the Zurich station manager. They failed to prioritise the interests of passengers and the airline in resolving the seating dispute of two off-duty pilots heading to Bangkok, he said.

Both the THAI staff acted against good corporate governance of the national carrier, which is focused on giving passengers first priority, while hurting the passengers and damaging the airline, he said.

The seating dispute involving the two pilots in TG971 from Zurich to Bangkok on October 11 delayed the flight by more than two hours. The insistence of the pilots for first-class seating resulted in two passengers who had been upgraded, having to return to business class.

The next step is to set up a committee, which will decide on the disciplinary penalties, said Sumeth, who declined to elaborate, saying it was THAI’s internal matter.

The less ons learned from this matter will be used for improvement of THAI’s organisational reform, which not only targets income and profit but also is striving to improve its corporate culture, he said.

“This was not the first time such an incident had happened. In the past too, off-duty pilots have agreed to change seats. There must be coordination first. 

“This problem was caused by the communication breakdown between both of them [the flight captain and the Zurich station chief],” he said. “After this incident, THAI must have clear and correct regulations.”

Sumeth said that the national airline would issue regulations on off-duty pilots who are on board as passive crew to prevent the recurrence of such an incident.

Since last mid-week, THAI has contacted all passengers who are members of Royal Orchid Plus (ROP), providing them THAI mileage as an apology, and will try to contact non-ROP passengers with a proper measure to apologise.

“I, as the management chief of THAI, and all related parties admit this mistake and apologise for this incident. I assure that the company prioritises both the highest safety standards and services for customers. After this, our work process will be improved for good coordination, and customer-interest will be at the centre in order to prevent the recurrence of such an incident in the future,” Sumeth said.

He said that such an incident can exact a cost in terms of business operations and hence the company must improve its regulations.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/Corporate/30357461

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-10-30

10 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

“I was informed that if I refused to switch my seat with the deadhead pilots, the on-duty pilots wouldn’t take off,” the letter read. “If my wife and I hadn’t given up our seats, the delay would’ve continued. We felt sorry for the other passengers who were also affected.”

You paid for Business class and that is all you were entitled to.

You should have moved back there, when asked.

I mean, okay.  Seat switches suck; I ask for a window seat for a reason and I'd be unhappy to be moved to a non-window.  I guess I'd be really unhappy if I had paid extra to choose my seat specifically.  But I don't think I would have held out for two hours.

5 hours ago, SheungWan said:

I don't know if they still do it, but Thai First passengers used to get a gratis pyjama set for long haul.

Never figured out why.  Do YOU want to be balancing on one leg in a tiny, probably dirty airplane lav trying to change clothes.... TWICE??   I can't imagine that many people do...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Katia said:

Never figured out why.  Do YOU want to be balancing on one leg in a tiny, probably dirty airplane lav trying to change clothes.... TWICE??   I can't imagine that many people do...

Toilets are a little larger and cleaner up front. A few do put on the pyjamas, but not everybody. Can keep them for souvenirs.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, mikebell said:

A dramatic moment indeed - a Thai business realises good service and low prices  are the keys to profit.  So now they've half admitted culpability will they implement the other bit?

What's low prices got to do with the story?

I have always believed that the aircraft Captain was in charge once the passengers and crew were aboard and the station chief was in charge before boarding ?
It is worrying that there needs to be a discussion between them regarding "on-board" incidents.

In an emergency this could be catastrophic !

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Katia said:

I mean, okay.  Seat switches suck; I ask for a window seat for a reason and I'd be unhappy to be moved to a non-window.  I guess I'd be really unhappy if I had paid extra to choose my seat specifically.  But I don't think I would have held out for two hours.

If I was moved from a seat I’d paid for I’d be very unhappy, but these people didn’t pay for first class. 

It was an upgrade that got them there, they had no case for not moving back to type of seat they paid for. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Chris Lawrence said:

Honestly how do they make money? The customer is always right policy went out the window. 

Good. Airline passengers paying low excursion fares expect that the airlines provide the same benefits and services as those who pay higher fares. 

2 minutes ago, NaamGin said:

Once again Thai Air has to perform damage control. You know it's bad when the educated bus drivers that fly the airplane think they take precedence over paying customers, especially first class customers. 

They are not bus drivers.  These are highly trained professionals who operate multimillion dollar high tech machines and who have responsibility for the  safety of  hundreds on board and thousands who may be under them them when in the air.

The pilot responsible for the incident has a known history for his behavior and has been untouchable to date. Don't blame all the TG aircrews because he is a jerk. In any case, the passengers in question were upgraded. They did not pay for the 1st class seat, nor were they legally or even morally entitled to the seat. It had been provided as a courtesy only.  It is no different than when a no show shows and a gate upgrade pax is moved back to his/her seat. Every frequent traveler knows this. The only people who make a fuss over this type of event are infrequent flyers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

(my guess) Twenty years ago Thai Airlines was a first class airline. It was a thrill to fly this pristine airline known for their good service, professionalism, interior design, and food ( and it was on economy). Now it has lost these fine qualities ( I flew on Thai Airways from BKK to KL two years ago.) What happened??! 

I am guessing too much “old wood” set in their ways receiving big salaries despite the poor management from the “big boys”. Time to get a new team to run the company.

22 minutes ago, 1337markus said:

The next step is to set up a committee

The magic answer Thais use for any problem hoping people will forget the issue, LMFAO!

What would be interesting about these dozens of committee across many ministries and agencies is just who gets appointed to the committee, is it balanced in terms of the committee members knowledge and experience, is it obviously weighted, are there powerful unethical cronies on the committee who will demand a certain result? Who knows?

I wonder if there are any laws or serious regulations about the formation of committee, a structure the committee must follow include a timeline, is there some central agency or whatever where the results must be lodged?